Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
ASUS ROG STRIKER GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Pro Speakers 2.jpg
This is another spin-off project from my PowerMac i3 Cube build, inspired by MacTester57's mod. I wanted to keep the stock design of the Pro Speakers cable, but updated with USB and Bluetooth. After researching the best amplifier boards that could be connected with USB and Bluetooth, I ended up on the DW-CT14+ which seemed to have everything I needed for this project. The board is also not too big so I was able to design and 3D print an enclosure that looked like the stock board enclosure. In the end I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It works either with a power bank through Bluetooth or directly through USB and the sound pretty good too!

Test fitting the board in the 3D printed enclosure:
1.jpg

To make the board as flat as possible, I removed the battery and speaker connectors and replaced the capacitor with a new one with long leads. Then I soldered the speaker cables directly to the board. Everything fit nicely inside the enclosure:
2.jpg

The completed enclosure. I made matching vinyl stickers to the stock enclosure:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Comparison with the stock enclosure:
5.jpg

this looks pretty great- quick question, when you say it works "through Bluetooth or directly through USB", do you mean you can use it as a USB speaker output? Or does it get power via USB and signal only through bluetooth?

thanks!

this looks pretty great- quick question, when you say it works "through Bluetooth or directly through USB", do you mean you can use it as a USB speaker output? Or does it get power via USB and signal only through bluetooth?

thanks!
Thanks! It works like a USB speaker (natively, no drivers needed) and gets its power from USB. So I can directly connect it to any computer or phone (with a type C cable). Or I can power it with a power bank and use it as a Bluetooth speaker. It's a great little board.

Ohhh this is good to know. I’ve got a few sets of those speakers in the attic- time to make them useful again!

sorry for the double post- can I ask where you got your board? I purchased one on Amazon and it's the same board, bu the USB functionality is missing. Bluetooth works just fine, but it doesn't show up anywhere on a computer for USB output.

@TigerK, did you still have the sketches for the 3D printed enclosure? Is it self-made? I would like to reprint the enclosure by myself, because ich love your solution! I have modified my speakers already an they work on this board. But now, I'm looking for a enclosure solution.

@TigerK, Thank you for the great inspiration. Got a pair here too.
But i have no luck with the usb function. got the same board but it doesn't work. It was not deteced on my mac.
Is there a workaround to get it work as usb speaker funktion? Or do I need a special Micro USB cable?

@Grittergrid, there was two different versions of the linked DW-CT14+ Board. The older one doesn‘t support USB audio, only Bluetooth connection. I’m sorry, but I don‘t really know the version number which supports USB audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back