Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 12 Monterey - Available Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what differentiates Apple's mode of operation in terms of software and hardware support compared to MS and Windows. MS tries to keep supporting old tech so much so that you can run the latest Windows 10 on a PC from the 2007/08 era. They still support 32 bit apps and programs. VGA is still fully supported etc etc.

This Apple dev looked at the supposedly new Win11 codebase. There's really nothing new. Win11 is primarily a new skin on Win10. It makes me think leaked Win11 may just be a fake created by some software developer.

View attachment 522147

Apparently this build of windows has some performance improvements for Intel’s hybrid Lakefield processor, the one with a big core and some smaller cores. See: https://hothardware.com/news/windows-11-gives-hybrid-architectures-a-single-threaded-boost

So maybe there’s more than meets the eye to the next version of windows. Perhaps there’ll be some improvements to the kernel’s thread scheduler to better take advantage of a hybrid x86 processor like the upcoming Alder Lake. Let’s see what Microsoft says on June 24.

I would build a Gigabyte z390 or z490 (budget pending). These are well documented and the support here is better than any company.

If you want an Apple product I'd wait a moment as the industry catches up to Apple Silicon.
Im running a Z390 32gig of RAM and do audio all day long on it. Im using Reaper. I also do FCP and Motion. Those with 4K. If I use HDR video it slows it a bit. Audio is not a problem.

This Apple dev looked at the supposedly new Win11 codebase. There's really nothing new. Win11 is primarily a new skin on Win10. It makes me think leaked Win11 may just be a fake created by some software developer.
Except that the code base for windows 10 was the same code base as windows 7. Who knows how much of that code base was shared from vista, XP, 2k, Etc.

Computer Mgt. still has icons from the XP era. That's why I refer to them as Microsloth. They are too lazy to do even the simple things that would make Win10 look and perform better. To improve the user experience. How ironic that XP stood for "Experience" and now 20 years later they're still giving you the same old dismal low res icons.

Most people do not even know that the computer mgt. is even there they have no use for it. In fact I likely have only probably used it 50 times in 20 years There is no real direct path to get there by clicking you have to know it is there and type it in the run field. So you are not likely to just happen to come across it. The icons are older then even windows XP, looks more like windows 98. But it is not just the icons it is also the window format also see below. If I had to guess it was meant to be removed but at the last min was left in for Legacy usage.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 12.14.09 PM.png

Most people do not even know that the computer mgt. is even there they have no use for it. In fact I likely have only probably used it 50 times in 20 years There is no real direct path to get there by clicking you have to know it is there and type it in the run field. So you are not likely to just happen to come across it.

Just a quick note---there is indeed a quick and easy way to open "Computer Management" in Windows 10. All you have to do is to right-click on "This PC" and choose "Manage." That's been the way it has worked for as far back as I can remember.

I have problem to make that transitioning with Apple M1 Silicon Chip. I cannot have my x86 software to run on M1 Chip now. As it is not possible. On top of that How to run some other software that I have to use on x86. That it will not work with M1 Chip. I wonder how Penetration Testers who doing on Hacking to work with M1 Chip when there are some tools that does not work with M1 Silicon Chip. If that is the case we have to use Windows 10 PCs back again which is so dead troublesome as Windows 10 been giving a lot of problems with their Cumulative Updates. And being bog down with endless problems that never ends. We have to dump Windows 10 altogether and run Linux Natively on a PC. But macs on Intel works well than Linux flawlessly! It is all about the software developers. If there is no further support, then we are dead meat! Going back and forth. Some are things are still missing when you work on other operating system. Even with Linux. At the moment there is no Virtual box and VMWARE Support on M1 Chip. Only running on Beta with Parallels. Even though I cannot run X86 Windows only Windows 10 ARM. And there is no software support to download and use with Windows 10 ARM on beta. I am totally STUCK! If that is the case, those guys who run on PenTesting on their Intel x86 macs have to switch back to PC. Because they themselves know some software are not be able to run on M1 Chip at this time. And there is no way that the software that you run only support on Intel x86. Heavily rely on Rosseta 2 will not work at all.

Just a quick note---there is indeed a quick and easy way to open "Computer Management" in Windows 10. All you have to do is to right-click on "This PC" and choose "Manage." That's been the way it has worked for as far back as I can remember.
Good to know! So you might happen to come across it in that case, though I have never.

I have problem to make that transitioning with Apple M1 Silicon Chip. I cannot have my x86 software to run on M1 Chip now. As it is not possible. On top of that How to run some other software that I have to use on x86. That it will not work with M1 Chip. I wonder how Penetration Testers who doing on Hacking to work with M1 Chip when there are some tools that does not work with M1 Silicon Chip. If that is the case we have to use Windows 10 PCs back again which is so dead troublesome as Windows 10 been giving a lot of problems with their Cumulative Updates. And being bog down with endless problems that never ends. We have to dump Windows 10 altogether and run Linux Natively on a PC. But macs on Intel works well than Linux flawlessly! It is all about the software developers. If there is no further support, then we are dead meat! Going back and forth. Some are things are still missing when you work on other operating system. Even with Linux. At the moment there is no Virtual box and VMWARE Support on M1 Chip. Only running on Beta with Parallels. Even though I cannot run X86 Windows only Windows 10 ARM. And there is no software support to download and use with Windows 10 ARM on beta. I am totally STUCK! If that is the case, those guys who run on PenTesting on their Intel x86 macs have to switch back to PC. Because they themselves know some software are not be able to run on M1 Chip at this time. And there is no way that the software that you run only support on Intel x86. Heavily rely on Rosseta 2 will not work at all.

Currently windows on ARM does support x86 32bit it does not support 64bit. However, windows 11 is said to provide 64bit emulation for windows on arm. You can also run Linux on M1 already.

Parallels in my opinion is better then Vbox and VMWare. M1 is less than 1 year old give it time, if your income depends intel then stick with intel by the time you are forced to change lots more will work. From what I understand Apple has made it tremendously easy for programers to create universal apps that run on both x86/64 and M1 and that is currently the encouraged route from apple.

Whatever Mac apps that don't work right on Apple Silicon will have to be updated or be discontinued. There's no way around it. What apps are you worried about? Rosetta 2 seems to be pretty amazing.

Which pen test apps are you using that doesn't work?

There are a million different versions of Linux that run on Arm. I wouldn't worry about that.

Both vmWare and Parallels are working on Apple Silicon versions of their virtualization software. But this will only allow you to run Arm virtual machines.

You can run x86 apps on Windows On Arm.

Have you even tried running stuff with Rosetta 2 or are you just worried about a lot of hypotheticals?

istockphoto-114263404-612x612.jpg

It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?
Parallels for the M1 is no longer Beta at the time of your writing. It runs anything that runs an ARM. I am running Linux with it. However, one does not even need Parallels for that as the hypervisor framework on M1 is dedicated to run Linux. I expect free available software to do that soon. There is a lot going on on Github.

And I expect MS to provide better and more committed support for Windows on ARM in the future, to counter the loss of market share to Chrome OS. Maybe with Windows 11, soon to be announced, Windows on ARM will be available like Windows 10 on Intel is available now.

It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?

Definitely being too harsh. Sort of like fear mongering.. It almost gives the impression that you work for apple in some way. :thumbup: Don't be surprised in 10 years (most likely a lost less) a dump of apple silicone chip is reverse engineered on "flashable" arm chips.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back