Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 12 Monterey - Available Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect something similar to happen with the m1. Being 1st gen. product it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

I wouldn't be surprised. Apple never explicitly states how long the hardware you purchase from them will get OS updates. This makes lawsuits impossible. You can't sue them for not doing something they never promised to do.

This is also true of lots of other devices. There are lots of Android devices and/or phones that are stuck with whatever version of Android it shipped with.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised. Apple never explicitly states how long the hardware you purchase from them will get OS updates. This makes lawsuits impossible.

This is also true of lots of other devices. There are lots of Android devices and/or phones that are stuck with whatever version of Android it shipped with.
End goal for all of them is to force us to buy new devices as frequently as possible, but if you take care of your stuff It can really last a long time. The only way to force you to buy a new one is software.

End goal for all of them is to force us to buy new devices as frequently as possible, but if you take care of your stuff It can really last a long time. The only way to force you to buy a new one is software.

Sure. I still have an iPhone 5 from about 2012. It still "works" fine. It's just slow as heck by today's standards and no new software for it. I also have a Power Book Pismo in the closet which "works" but it's not something I would "want" to use everyday anymore.

Of course. It always boils down to being able to run the latest software. If that's important to you, it makes much more sense to invest in an Apple Silicon Mac now than to invest in an Intel based Mac.

Sure. I still have an iPhone 5 from about 2012. It still "works" fine. It's just slow as heck by today's standards and no new software for it. I also have a Power Book Pismo in the closet which "works" but it's not something I would "want" to use everyday anymore.

Of course. It always boils down to being able to run the latest software. If that's important to you, it makes much more sense to invest in an Apple Silicon Mac now than to invest in an Intel based Mac.
I personally think until Apple reveals its entire new lineup if you can help it don't invest in a mac.:lol:

It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?

It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?

Those are two different things... Connectix Virtual PC was an emulator and Parallels is virtualization.

I believe that Windows On Arm has a component similar to Rosetta 2 that allows it to run X86 apps. I don't know how well it does so but, at least, it can...

Here's what differentiates Apple's mode of operation in terms of software and hardware support compared to MS and Windows. MS tries to keep supporting old tech so much so that you can run the latest Windows 10 on a PC from the 2007/08 era. They still support 32 bit apps and programs. VGA is still fully supported etc etc.

This Apple dev looked at the supposedly new Win11 codebase. There's really nothing new. Win11 is primarily a new skin on Win10. It makes me think leaked Win11 may just be a fake created by some software developer.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Computer Mgt. still has icons from the XP era. That's why I refer to them as Microsloth. They are too lazy to do even the simple things that would make Win10 look and perform better. To improve the user experience. How ironic that XP stood for "Experience" and now 20 years later they're still giving you the same old dismal low res icons.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what differentiates Apple's mode of operation in terms of software an hardware support compared to MS and Windows. MS tries to keep supporting old tech so much so that you can run the latest Windows 10 on a PC from the 2007/08 era. They still support 32 bit apps and programs. VGA is still fully supported etc etc.

This Apple dev looked at the supposedly new Win11 codebase. There's really nothing new. Win11 is primarily a new skin on Win10. It makes me think leaked Win11 may just be a fake created by some software developer.

View attachment 522147

Computer Mgt. still has icons from the XP era. That's why I refer to them and Microsloth. They are too lazy to do even the simple things that would make Win10 look and perform better. To improve the user experience. How ironic that XP stood for "Experience" and now 20 years later they're still giving you the same old dismal icons.

View attachment 522148

View attachment 522149

I would think that Windows On Arm would allow Microsoft to start fresh since there's no legacy hardware to support...

I would think that Windows On Arm would allow Microsoft to start fresh since there's no legacy hardware to support...
It's kind of like trying to make a U turn with the Titanic. There are already billions of Windows 7, 8.1, 10 computers in operation that use Intel and AMD CPUs with the x86 instruction set. The number or ARM devices that run the ARM version of Windows are a drop in the ocean. They're going to keep supporting older hardware for some time to come. They won't be able to break with the x86 past as quickly as Apple will now that they design their own chips.

I never tried the ARM version of Windows 10 but what I read about it indicated the performance was very lackluster. They can't simply copy Apple in this regard because they don't have anything that comes close to the M series SoCs.

Last edited:
It's kind of like trying to make a U turn with the Titanic. There are already billions of Windows 7, 8.1, 10 computers in operation that use Intel and AMD CPUs with the x86 instruction set. The number or ARM devices that run the ARM version of Windows are a drop in the ocean. They're going to keep supporting older hardware for some time to come. They won't be able to break with the x86 past as quickly as Apple will now that they design their own chips.

I never tried the ARM version of Windows 10 but what I read about it indicated the performance was very lackluster. They can't simply copy Apple in this regard because they don't have anything that comes close to the M series SoCs.

I've never tried Windows On Arm either but I suspect that poor performance may be due to the lack of powerful hardware to run it on. Before the Apple Silicon Macs, what desktops or laptops had powerful Arm CPUs? Heck, even today, we are still waiting for them.

From what I've read, computer makers such as Dell and HP are looking to sell Arm based systems of their own and that Qualcomm has something in the works.

I'd also like to see how Windows On Arm runs on a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back