Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 12 Monterey - Available Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow Leopard killed off PowerPC, if a good reference point, it was a 2-2.5 year cycle in that particular endeavor.

They will still release .dot updates for Monterey for Intel processors, but I think Monterey is the last one to support Intel.

The new intel Mac Pro is in development. Imagine buying another 10,000 dollar Mac Pro and being useless in 1 year. Not happening.. You're looking at 7 years of intel Mac at least.

The new intel Mac Pro is in development. Imagine buying another 10,000 dollar Mac Pro and being useless in 1 year. Not happening.. You're looking at 7 years of intel Mac at least.

You sound very positive. That's always good news. :thumbup:

Monterey is still Intel, and Security Updates always follow even when a new OS is released. Mojave just received 2021-004.

So I think there is every reason to be optimistic. :)

I am sure Apple would not kill off Intel support anytime soon. There are way too many people using brand new Intel macs now and Apple will not want to risk facing multiple lawsuits over this.

You can rest assured that Apple will provide at least 3-5 years worth of support from the day it sells its last Intel Mac. Fearmongers can choose to disagree.

That said, the days of Hackintosh are coming to an end, finally. I could have bought a real mac if I wanted to, but Hackintoshing was so much more fun! I guess another 7-8 years and Hackintoshes will be a relic of the past!

Long live the Hackintosh!

I am sure Apple would not kill off Intel support anytime soon. There are way too many people using brand new Intel macs now and Apple will not want to risk facing multiple lawsuits over this.

You can rest assured that Apple will provide at least 3-5 years worth of support from the day it sells its last Intel Mac. Fearmongers can choose to disagree.

That said, the days of Hackintosh are coming to an end, finally. I could have bought a real mac if I wanted to, but Hackintoshing was so much more fun! I guess another 7-8 years and Hackintoshes will be a relic of the past!

Long live the Hackintosh!
I hope I'm not wrong, however, I would give it more than 3-5 years. For someone who is going to buy the new Mac Pro Intel that will be coming out, I doubt that Apple will support them only for up to 5 years. As you said, lawsuits are a bitch especially for such expensive machines. I hope we will be seeing at least another 7 years of customac-ing after the last model of Intel Mac Pro is issued. Either way, looking forward to it.

I hope I'm not wrong, however, I would give it more than 3-5 years. For someone who is going to buy the new Mac Pro Intel that will be coming out, I doubt that Apple will support them only for up to 5 years. As you said, lawsuits are a bitch especially for such expensive machines. I hope we will be seeing at least another 7 years of customac-ing after the last model of Intel Mac Pro is issued. Either way, looking forward to it.

MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1, and MacBook4,2 shipped with Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and lost support after Mac OS 10.7 Lion. Less than 3 years of OS support. No bitching lawsuits.

Last edited:
Leopard to Mountain Lion was 5 years.

What does that have to do with how many versions of Mac OS X worked on the MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1, and MacBook4,2?

Mountain Lion doesn't work on those models. Mountain Lion is Mac OS X 10.8.

These are the versions of Mac OS X that worked on those models:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

The MacBook4,1 was released in October 2008.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was released in July 2011.
October 2008 - July 2011 = Less than 3 years.

What does that have to do with how many versions of Mac OS X worked on the MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1, and MacBook4,2?

Mountain Lion doesn't work on those models. Mountain Lion is Mac OS X 10.8.

These are the versions of Mac OS X that worked on those models:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

The MacBook4,1 was released in October 2008.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was released in July 2011.
October 2008 - July 2011 = Less than 3 years.
10.7 was released in July 2011 but was current till July 2012 when mountain lion was released.

And Apple has a habit of always dropping entry level models first.

10.7 was released in July 2011 but was current till July 2012 when mountain lion was released.

And Apple has a habit of always dropping entry level models first.

Exactly. Those MacBooks didn't get a new version of Mac OS X in 2012. That means 2008 - 2011.

If you would have bought the MacBook in 2009, you would have gotten 2 years.

I don't know how Apple chooses to drop support. I don't know if entry level models go first or not.

Exactly. Those MacBooks didn't get a new version of Mac OS X in 2012. That means 2008 - 2011.

If you would have bought the MacBook in 2009, you would have gotten 2 years.
I expect something similar to happen with the m1. Being 1st gen. product it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back