Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 12 Monterey - Available Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seem to be reference in xCode to a new Intel Mac Pro using the latest Intel Xeon Ice Lake CPUs.
I used to work for one of the BIG HW/SW companies and we encouraged a competitive culture that thrived on parallel product development. It wasn't unusual to see two or more product lines compete to the end only to see one terminated before seeing the light of day. While interesting, I don't think reference code in macOS can be considered a forecast of new models. I'd like to be wrong.

Haswell support is going to end. But I don't want to buy Intel's 14nm chips in 2021. Wake me up when Intel's 7nm chips are ready. (Intel 10nm == TSMC 6nm, Intel 7nm == TSMC 4nm). Or, I will buy M2/M3 real Macs. For the moment, I switched iMac15,1 to Macmini7,1.

macmini.png

Haswell support is going to end. But I don't want to buy Intel's 14nm chips in 2021. Wake me up when Intel's 7nm chips are ready. (Intel 10nm == TSMC 6nm, Intel 7nm == TSMC 4nm). Or, I will buy M2/M3 real Macs. For the moment, I switched iMac15,1 to Macmini7,1.
You've got a laptop in your hardware profile. Maybe you failed to ever post your desktop into your signature. That would be helpful. By the time Intel has 7nm chips in desktop PCs it will be too late. Apple will not support them. Everything will be M(x) series ARM based SoCs in Macs. Intel support for older 14nm CPUs will likely be ended by then as well.

From what I've read, Apple decided to switch to their own ARM based chips back in 2015, around the time of Broadwell. Would have been quite ironic if instead of Broadwell, Intel would have named those fith gen 14nm chips Farewell.

Last edited:

View attachment 521514
Actually you can get them now...Intel already has 10nm available with the new Ice Lake laptops.

What should a pro (e.g. musical producer) do if a new computer is needed right now?
Go for an Intel Mac Pro 7,1 or wait for... what?

What should a pro (e.g. musical producer) do if a new computer is needed right now?
I would build a Gigabyte z390 or z490 (budget pending). These are well documented and the support here is better than any company.

If you want an Apple product I'd wait a moment as the industry catches up to Apple Silicon.

Haswell support is going to end. But I don't want to buy Intel's 14nm chips in 2021. Wake me up when Intel's 7nm chips are ready. (Intel 10nm == TSMC 6nm, Intel 7nm == TSMC 4nm).
No, TSMC 7 nm is better (smaller) than Intel 10 nm.

That is an interesting question that probably doesn't include the requirements you have for the best answer (for you). Factors in your decision might be your requirements for total life (how long before you typically upgrade your hardware), do you need whole-system warranty support, is this for a hobby or do you depend on it for your livelihood, would your support costs (money, time, effort, aggravation) be reduced if you duplicated a proven solution that you already have...

My hackmini has cost me WAAAYYYY more in time, effort, aggravation than it would have cost me for a real MacMini X1. And that doesn't include the time I spend maintaining the guide to help others. Then again, I didn't build the hack to save money or time.

Bottom line: if you're making an important purchasing decision on which your livelihood depends, you probably have more requirements than are included in your question.

Intel, regarding macOS support, can quote Mark Twain from the New York Journal, "I can understand perfectly how the report of my illness got about, I have even heard on good authority that I was dead." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back