Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 12 Monterey - Available Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's already been noted elsewhere but many of the new features in MacOS Monterey will only work on Mac's with Apple Silicon.

New features that are not going to work on Intel Mac's are :-
  • Live Text in photos
  • Improved city maps
  • High-detail globe view in Apple Maps
  • Portrait mode video effect
  • On Device translation
  • Unlimited/continuous keyboard dictation
I'm guessing that these features require the use of either Apples on chip Neural Engine or other unique features of Apple Silicon hence no support on Intel mac's.

This info is confirmed in the fine print at the very bottom of the Monterey Preview page:-

I hate to say it but I think this will be a trend we will see more and more as Apple use the unique features of AS in the new Mac's eventually leaving Intel based Mac's in the dust .....

Cheers
Jay
macs are going the way of iphones and ipads, you'll have to buy a new one every year to have all the features.
Can't wait till they start throttling 3 year old devices to ”save” battery life....

and some of the features won't even work on 8 GB base M1 models.

Last edited:
This announcement of macOS 12 has made me wonder why tech news websites hasn’t come up with a more realistic article about the release:

‘Mac users around the world are deeply upset as macOS Monterey drops support and features for older Intel Macs’.

It would probably garner loads of reads!

‘Mac users around the world are deeply upset as macOS Monterey drops support and features for older Intel Macs’.

If Apples Monterey compatibility list is to believed then no more support for Macs with native Nvidia dGPU's.

Compatible Mac's for Monterey :-
  • ‌iMac‌ - Late 2015 and later
  • ‌iMac‌ Pro - 2017 and later
  • ‌MacBook Air‌ - Early 2015 and later
  • MacBook Pro - Early 2015 and later
  • Mac Pro - Late 2013 and later
  • Mac mini - Late 2014 and later
  • MacBook - Early 2016 and later
No native Nvidia support in Monterey is probably going to upset a lot of people here ... but the writing has been on the wall for some time now and it was just a question of time before Apple fully pulled the plug on Nvidia support.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Mac pro 6.1. with the questionable design/cooling choices they made and then not upgrading it, is the reason it failed. From 1.1. to 5.1 it was a yearly upgrade. But after Jobs died Apple lost interest in the pro market and became completely oriented towards consumer products.

I know why it failed. That's not what's in question. It just shows a precedent that Apple doesn't update the Mac Pros very frequently. In light of a transition to a completely new platform, why would they ramp up the update timeline?

I know why it failed. That's not what's in question. It just shows a precedent that Apple doesn't update the Mac Pros very frequently. In light of a transition to a completely new platform, why would they ramp up the update timeline?
Maybe because nobody will pay apple asking price for a completely new architecture pro machine right now when their software is still incompatible with it.

Maybe because nobody will pay apple asking price for a completely new architecture pro machine right now when their software is still incompatible with it.

Well, then they better buy as many of the current Mac Pros as they can while they are still available.

It may also work using the same methods of transfer as Continuity and Handoff on Macs. That's probably why some of the newer Intel Macs will work with this feature.

That's true. I'm hoping it just uses Continuity and Handoff and doesn't involve the T2 chip on SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1

I’m guessing Universal Control will require the T2 chip so that’s a bummer… (for SMBIOS that have it)

Monterey can boot on 2013's Mac Pro, not sure if theres T2 chip inside that Mac

Yeah I meant like SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SideCar doesn't work since it expects a T2 chip.

Does the new macMini M1 even have a T2 Chip ?
At least it is not listed as it is here described :

Does the new macMini M1 even have a T2 Chip ?
At least it is not listed as it is here described :
Here are the Macs that are compatible with Universal Control:

• 2016 and later MacBook Pro
  • 2016 and later MacBook
  • 2018 and later MacBook Air
  • 2017 and later iMac
  • Late 2015 and later 27-inch iMac
  • iMac Pro
  • 2018 and later Mac mini
  • 2019 and later Mac Pro
Here are the iPads that are compatible:

• iPad Pro
  • 3rd generation and later iPad Air
  • 6th generation and later iPad
  • 5th generation and later iPad mini
Other requirements:

• All devices must be signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.
  • For wireless connectivity, all devices must have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff turned on and within 30 feet of each other.
  • iPad and Mac cannot be sharing a cellular and internet connection.
  • For USB connections, you must trust your Mac on the iPad.

link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back