1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yea right. Two year old hardware for the price of the latest and the greatest. :lol:
I'm sure people are lining up in queues.

Two years is nothing. Look at how long it took them to update the MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not sure if it's already been noted elsewhere but many of the new features in MacOS Monterey will only work on Mac's with Apple Silicon.

New features that are not going to work on Intel Mac's are :-
  • Live Text in photos
  • Improved city maps
  • High-detail globe view in Apple Maps
  • Portrait mode video effect
  • On Device translation
  • Unlimited/continuous keyboard dictation
So pretty much everything they announced for MacOS Monterey with the exception of iCloud+

I'm guessing that these features require the use of either Apples on chip Neural Engine or other unique features of Apple Silicon hence no support on Intel mac's ...

We should not be surprised at this news, it was only a matter of time before Apple started to flex the in-built power of Apple Silicon, you just need to look at iOS and iPadOS to see how Apple plan to use those AS features in new Mac's.

The above info is confirmed in the fine print at the very bottom of the Monterey Preview page:-

Odd that Tim or Chris failed to mention this in the WWDC keynote ... thanks Apple ;)

I hate to say it but I think this will be a trend we will see more and more as Apple make use of the unique and advanced features of AS in the their new Mac's ...

In a few years AS based Mac's will leave Intel based Mac's in the dust, at least in terms of new features.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Two years is nothing. Look at how long it took them to update the MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1.
Mac pro 6.1. with the questionable design/cooling choices they made and then not upgrading it, is the reason it failed. From 1.1. to 5.1 it was a yearly upgrade. But after Jobs died Apple lost interest in the pro market and became completely oriented towards consumer products.

Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not sure if it's already been noted elsewhere but many of the new features in MacOS Monterey will only work on Mac's with Apple Silicon.

New features that are not going to work on Intel Mac's are :-
  • Live Text in photos
  • Improved city maps
  • High-detail globe view in Apple Maps
  • Portrait mode video effect
  • On Device translation
  • Unlimited/continuous keyboard dictation
I'm guessing that these features require the use of either Apples on chip Neural Engine or other unique features of Apple Silicon hence no support on Intel mac's.

This info is confirmed in the fine print at the very bottom of the Monterey Preview page:-

I hate to say it but I think this will be a trend we will see more and more as Apple use the unique features of AS in the new Mac's eventually leaving Intel based Mac's in the dust .....

Cheers
Jay
macs are going the way of iphones and ipads, you'll have to buy a new one every year to have all the features.
Can't wait till they start throttling 3 year old devices to ”save” battery life....

and some of the features won't even work on 8 GB base M1 models.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This announcement of macOS 12 has made me wonder why tech news websites hasn’t come up with a more realistic article about the release:

‘Mac users around the world are deeply upset as macOS Monterey drops support and features for older Intel Macs’.

It would probably garner loads of reads!

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
‘Mac users around the world are deeply upset as macOS Monterey drops support and features for older Intel Macs’.

If Apples Monterey compatibility list is to believed then no more support for Macs with native Nvidia dGPU's.

Compatible Mac's for Monterey :-
  • ‌iMac‌ - Late 2015 and later
  • ‌iMac‌ Pro - 2017 and later
  • ‌MacBook Air‌ - Early 2015 and later
  • MacBook Pro - Early 2015 and later
  • Mac Pro - Late 2013 and later
  • Mac mini - Late 2014 and later
  • MacBook - Early 2016 and later
No native Nvidia support in Monterey is probably going to upset a lot of people here ... but the writing has been on the wall for some time now and it was just a question of time before Apple fully pulled the plug on Nvidia support.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mac pro 6.1. with the questionable design/cooling choices they made and then not upgrading it, is the reason it failed. From 1.1. to 5.1 it was a yearly upgrade. But after Jobs died Apple lost interest in the pro market and became completely oriented towards consumer products.

I know why it failed. That's not what's in question. It just shows a precedent that Apple doesn't update the Mac Pros very frequently. In light of a transition to a completely new platform, why would they ramp up the update timeline?

Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I know why it failed. That's not what's in question. It just shows a precedent that Apple doesn't update the Mac Pros very frequently. In light of a transition to a completely new platform, why would they ramp up the update timeline?
Maybe because nobody will pay apple asking price for a completely new architecture pro machine right now when their software is still incompatible with it.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maybe because nobody will pay apple asking price for a completely new architecture pro machine right now when their software is still incompatible with it.

Well, then they better buy as many of the current Mac Pros as they can while they are still available.