Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 12 Monterey - Available Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were waaay less powerpc macs out there than intel macs now. No way is Monterey the last intel mac os, especially when apple is still selling intel macs and there is rumored mac pro intel refresh with new xeon processors.
You underestimate Apple and its pragmatism. They really don't care.

They are eager to dump x86-64 codebase from their OS asap.

I had this same conversation in 2005-2006 on some online forum and I was right once again.

2022 is going to be the last year for Intel Macs.

Well if I bought a full spec'd 2020 imac and only got one year of software support I'd probably throw it through the apple store window...can't see it happening....but as you say they don't care one way or another.

Well if I bought a full spec'd 2020 imac and only got one year of software support I'd probably throw it through the apple store window...can't see it happening....but as you say they don't care one way or another.

They didn't upgrade the Mac Pro for 7 years, do you really think they care?

It will be supported for 3 years via .dot OS updates to Monterey but that's it.

At best, macOS 13 will be the the nail in the coffin.

I don't want to be a doomsday guy, but the days of Hackintoshing are closing. We had a good run.

They didn't upgrade the Mac Pro for 7 years, do you really think they care?

It will be supported for 3 years via .dot OS updates to Monterey but that's it.

At best, macOS 13 will be the the nail in the coffin.

I don't want to be a doomsday guy, but the days of Hackintoshing are closing. We had a good run.
They didn't upgrade 6.1 mac pro but they still support it. With the release of Monterey, that will be 8 years of software support. Just can't see them dropping high end machines after year or two. There is still no ”PRO” apple silicon hardware so who knows maybe they don't have it figured out with dgpu's and modular/interchangeable parts just yet.

So it seems that Haswell generation laptops can now rest in peace, they sure have been amazing for this entire time.
The 7,1 mac Mini that is shown as being supported runs a Haswell, I was hoping somebody might rebuild the Dell 7020's using the 7,1 System definitions.

They didn't upgrade 6.1 mac pro but they still support it. With the release of Monterey, that will be 8 years of software support. Just can't see them dropping high end machines after year or two. There is still no ”PRO” apple silicon hardware so who knows maybe they don't have it figured out with dgpu's and modular/interchangeable parts just yet.

Oh table scraps from Apple, how dare we question the gods there!

Haha, I think it's time to move on, I've been with Apple for 20+ years and these speculations in every website is hilarious.

I will definitely get an M2 Mac when their single core performance is top notch. Mac Mini M1 is a joke to me, I tested it for my workflow and it's garbage.

I had this same conversation in 2005-2006 on some online forum and I was right once again.
My name on tonymac is loveappletimmu, but I actually think that they are an evil, pragmatic empire too!
Haha.

But!
In 2005-2006, they were releasing MacOS once every 2~2.5 years, and there were 2 universal PowerPC-intel releases.

Now, in 2021, they are on a 1 year release cycle with a bizzillion more macOS users than in 2005. Unless they end up supporting Monterey or Big Sur longer than the standard 3 years with security updates, they will release more OSes for intel also. Someone who bought a premium intel Mac in 2020 is not going to lose OS support at the end of 2024. Has apple ever done anything like that before?

I doubt Monterey is the last one for intel. 2021 and 2005 / apples and oranges!

Someone who bought a premium intel Mac in 2020 is not going to lose OS support at the end of 2024. Has apple ever done anything like that before?
They have actually...quad core G5 was introduced october 2005 and by june 2009 it was vintage hardware. It came out with Tiger 10.4.2 and can only go up to Leopard 10.5.8.

But as of now there are still no pro apple silicon machines and if the rumors of mac pro intel refresh prove to be true there is still hope for hackintosh community.

My name on tonymac is loveappletimmu, but I actually think that they are an evil, pragmatic empire too!
Haha.

I think Facebook and Google are far, far more evil.

I feel like Apple is the only one of these huge companies that is looking out for the users.

I think Facebook and Google are far, far more evil.

I feel like Apple is the only one of these huge companies that is looking out for the users.
I really should change my user name on this site to LoveHateAppleTimmu. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back