I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have problem to make that transitioning with Apple M1 Silicon Chip. I cannot have my x86 software to run on M1 Chip now. As it is not possible. On top of that How to run some other software that I have to use on x86. That it will not work with M1 Chip. I wonder how Penetration Testers who doing on Hacking to work with M1 Chip when there are some tools that does not work with M1 Silicon Chip. If that is the case we have to use Windows 10 PCs back again which is so dead troublesome as Windows 10 been giving a lot of problems with their Cumulative Updates. And being bog down with endless problems that never ends. We have to dump Windows 10 altogether and run Linux Natively on a PC. But macs on Intel works well than Linux flawlessly! It is all about the software developers. If there is no further support, then we are dead meat! Going back and forth. Some are things are still missing when you work on other operating system. Even with Linux. At the moment there is no Virtual box and VMWARE Support on M1 Chip. Only running on Beta with Parallels. Even though I cannot run X86 Windows only Windows 10 ARM. And there is no software support to download and use with Windows 10 ARM on beta. I am totally STUCK! If that is the case, those guys who run on PenTesting on their Intel x86 macs have to switch back to PC. Because they themselves know some software are not be able to run on M1 Chip at this time. And there is no way that the software that you run only support on Intel x86. Heavily rely on Rosseta 2 will not work at all.

Currently windows on ARM does support x86 32bit it does not support 64bit. However, windows 11 is said to provide 64bit emulation for windows on arm. You can also run Linux on M1 already.

Parallels in my opinion is better then Vbox and VMWare. M1 is less than 1 year old give it time, if your income depends intel then stick with intel by the time you are forced to change lots more will work. From what I understand Apple has made it tremendously easy for programers to create universal apps that run on both x86/64 and M1 and that is currently the encouraged route from apple.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have problem to make that transitioning with Apple M1 Silicon Chip. I cannot have my x86 software to run on M1 Chip now. As it is not possible. On top of that How to run some other software that I have to use on x86. That it will not work with M1 Chip. I wonder how Penetration Testers who doing on Hacking to work with M1 Chip when there are some tools that does not work with M1 Silicon Chip. If that is the case we have to use Windows 10 PCs back again which is so dead troublesome as Windows 10 been giving a lot of problems with their Cumulative Updates. And being bog down with endless problems that never ends. We have to dump Windows 10 altogether and run Linux Natively on a PC. But macs on Intel works well than Linux flawlessly! It is all about the software developers. If there is no further support, then we are dead meat! Going back and forth. Some are things are still missing when you work on other operating system. Even with Linux. At the moment there is no Virtual box and VMWARE Support on M1 Chip. Only running on Beta with Parallels. Even though I cannot run X86 Windows only Windows 10 ARM. And there is no software support to download and use with Windows 10 ARM on beta. I am totally STUCK! If that is the case, those guys who run on PenTesting on their Intel x86 macs have to switch back to PC. Because they themselves know some software are not be able to run on M1 Chip at this time. And there is no way that the software that you run only support on Intel x86. Heavily rely on Rosseta 2 will not work at all.

Whatever Mac apps that don't work right on Apple Silicon will have to be updated or be discontinued. There's no way around it. What apps are you worried about? Rosetta 2 seems to be pretty amazing.

Which pen test apps are you using that doesn't work?

There are a million different versions of Linux that run on Arm. I wouldn't worry about that.

Both vmWare and Parallels are working on Apple Silicon versions of their virtualization software. But this will only allow you to run Arm virtual machines.

You can run x86 apps on Windows On Arm.

Have you even tried running stuff with Rosetta 2 or are you just worried about a lot of hypotheticals?

istockphoto-114263404-612x612.jpg

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?
Parallels for the M1 is no longer Beta at the time of your writing. It runs anything that runs an ARM. I am running Linux with it. However, one does not even need Parallels for that as the hypervisor framework on M1 is dedicated to run Linux. I expect free available software to do that soon. There is a lot going on on Github.

And I expect MS to provide better and more committed support for Windows on ARM in the future, to counter the loss of market share to Chrome OS. Maybe with Windows 11, soon to be announced, Windows on ARM will be available like Windows 10 on Intel is available now.

Motherboard
Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 580
It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?

Definitely being too harsh. Sort of like fear mongering.. It almost gives the impression that you work for apple in some way. :thumbup: Don't be surprised in 10 years (most likely a lost less) a dump of apple silicone chip is reverse engineered on "flashable" arm chips.:thumbup:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX1060, RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Currently windows on ARM does support x86 32bit it does not support 64bit. However, windows 11 is said to provide 64bit emulation for windows on arm. You can also run Linux on M1 already.

Parallels in my opinion is better then Vbox and VMWare. M1 is less than 1 year old give it time, if your income depends intel then stick with intel by the time you are forced to change lots more will work. From what I understand Apple has made it tremendously easy for programers to create universal apps that run on both x86/64 and M1 and that is currently the encouraged route from apple.
I have to work on x86 Windows version not the ARM Windows version. There is no way to run x86 Windows on M1 Silicon Chip as the UTMS Virtual Box is dead too slow. If you were to run ARM Windows 10 version it will not work at all on the program which you want to run on x86 Windows platform. The Software Developer will not release the ARM Windows 10 version to run on it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX1060, RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Whatever Mac apps that don't work right on Apple Silicon will have to be updated or be discontinued. There's no way around it. What apps are you worried about? Rosetta 2 seems to be pretty amazing.

Which pen test apps are you using that doesn't work?

There are a million different versions of Linux that run on Arm. I wouldn't worry about that.

Both vmWare and Parallels are working on Apple Silicon versions of their virtualization software. But this will only allow you to run Arm virtual machines.

You can run x86 apps on Windows On Arm.

Have you even tried running stuff with Rosetta 2 or are you just worried about a lot of hypotheticals?

View attachment 522252
Come to find out that ARM Base Linux software runs but some software that runs natively on Intel will not work on ARM base Linux.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have to work on x86 Windows version not the ARM Windows version. There is no way to run x86 Windows on M1 Silicon Chip as the UTMS Virtual Box is dead too slow. If you were to run ARM Windows 10 version it will not work at all on the program which you want to run on x86 Windows platform. The Software Developer will not release the ARM Windows 10 version to run on it.
I can not comment on speed but Windows 10 on ARM emulates x32 and windows 11 on arm will emulate x64. Like I said in my post:

M1 is less than 1 year old give it time, if your income depends intel then stick with intel by the time you are forced to change lots more will work.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Come to find out that ARM Base Linux software runs but some software that runs natively on Intel will not work on ARM base Linux.

Of course there will be apps that don't run right. The same can be said for Arm apps on X86. If there are no equivalents for the apps you need then the choice is obvious, just stick with an X86 system.

The Apple Silicon Macs are not for everyone. No product on earth fits everyone's needs. If pen testing is your primary concern, you should be on a machine running Kali anyway. Use what works for you. I don't know what the argument is.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i7-11700K OC @ 5.2GHz
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Public beta is out.

Motherboard
GA-Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Leopard to Mountain Lion was 5 years.
Correct. Almost 5 years.
Mac OS X Leopard was released on October 26, 2007.
OS X Mountain Lion was released on July 25, 2012