2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Leopard to Mountain Lion was 5 years.

What does that have to do with how many versions of Mac OS X worked on the MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1, and MacBook4,2?

Mountain Lion doesn't work on those models. Mountain Lion is Mac OS X 10.8.

These are the versions of Mac OS X that worked on those models:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

The MacBook4,1 was released in October 2008.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was released in July 2011.
October 2008 - July 2011 = Less than 3 years.

Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What does that have to do with how many versions of Mac OS X worked on the MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1, and MacBook4,2?

Mountain Lion doesn't work on those models. Mountain Lion is Mac OS X 10.8.

These are the versions of Mac OS X that worked on those models:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

The MacBook4,1 was released in October 2008.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was released in July 2011.
October 2008 - July 2011 = Less than 3 years.
10.7 was released in July 2011 but was current till July 2012 when mountain lion was released.

And Apple has a habit of always dropping entry level models first.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
10.7 was released in July 2011 but was current till July 2012 when mountain lion was released.

And Apple has a habit of always dropping entry level models first.

Exactly. Those MacBooks didn't get a new version of Mac OS X in 2012. That means 2008 - 2011.

If you would have bought the MacBook in 2009, you would have gotten 2 years.

I don't know how Apple chooses to drop support. I don't know if entry level models go first or not.

Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Exactly. Those MacBooks didn't get a new version of Mac OS X in 2012. That means 2008 - 2011.

If you would have bought the MacBook in 2009, you would have gotten 2 years.
I expect something similar to happen with the m1. Being 1st gen. product it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I expect something similar to happen with the m1. Being 1st gen. product it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

I wouldn't be surprised. Apple never explicitly states how long the hardware you purchase from them will get OS updates. This makes lawsuits impossible. You can't sue them for not doing something they never promised to do.

This is also true of lots of other devices. There are lots of Android devices and/or phones that are stuck with whatever version of Android it shipped with.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wouldn't be surprised. Apple never explicitly states how long the hardware you purchase from them will get OS updates. This makes lawsuits impossible.

This is also true of lots of other devices. There are lots of Android devices and/or phones that are stuck with whatever version of Android it shipped with.
End goal for all of them is to force us to buy new devices as frequently as possible, but if you take care of your stuff It can really last a long time. The only way to force you to buy a new one is software.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
End goal for all of them is to force us to buy new devices as frequently as possible, but if you take care of your stuff It can really last a long time. The only way to force you to buy a new one is software.

Sure. I still have an iPhone 5 from about 2012. It still "works" fine. It's just slow as heck by today's standards and no new software for it. I also have a Power Book Pismo in the closet which "works" but it's not something I would "want" to use everyday anymore.

Of course. It always boils down to being able to run the latest software. If that's important to you, it makes much more sense to invest in an Apple Silicon Mac now than to invest in an Intel based Mac.

Motherboard
Gigabayte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sure. I still have an iPhone 5 from about 2012. It still "works" fine. It's just slow as heck by today's standards and no new software for it. I also have a Power Book Pismo in the closet which "works" but it's not something I would "want" to use everyday anymore.

Of course. It always boils down to being able to run the latest software. If that's important to you, it makes much more sense to invest in an Apple Silicon Mac now than to invest in an Intel based Mac.
I personally think until Apple reveals its entire new lineup if you can help it don't invest in a mac.:lol:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490i Aorus Ultra - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's interesting to watch the Apple Silicon uptake by software developers. Quite a few small outfits have been releasing Universal binaries, but a lot are relying on Rosetta 2 still. I think a repeat worry is when will Apple drop Rosetta 2? Another time-limit as we saw way back when Intel took over from PowerPC.

I see no VM host runs on M1. Yes, Parallels has a beta ARM version that only runs the ARM version of Windows. No use. Back to that first CPU switch Connectix were clever enough to programme a VM host with a built-in emulator. Seems today's devs aren't clever enough. Or am I being too harsh?

Those are two different things... Connectix Virtual PC was an emulator and Parallels is virtualization.

I believe that Windows On Arm has a component similar to Rosetta 2 that allows it to run X86 apps. I don't know how well it does so but, at least, it can...