CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What should a pro (e.g. musical producer) do if a new computer is needed right now?
Go for an Intel Mac Pro 7,1 or wait for... what?
I would build a Gigabyte z390 or z490 (budget pending). These are well documented and the support here is better than any company.

If you want an Apple product I'd wait a moment as the industry catches up to Apple Silicon.

Motherboard
AORUS Z390 Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Haswell support is going to end. But I don't want to buy Intel's 14nm chips in 2021. Wake me up when Intel's 7nm chips are ready. (Intel 10nm == TSMC 6nm, Intel 7nm == TSMC 4nm).
No, TSMC 7 nm is better (smaller) than Intel 10 nm.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
I9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What should a pro (e.g. musical producer) do if a new computer is needed right now?
Go for an Intel Mac Pro 7,1 or wait for... what?
That is an interesting question that probably doesn't include the requirements you have for the best answer (for you). Factors in your decision might be your requirements for total life (how long before you typically upgrade your hardware), do you need whole-system warranty support, is this for a hobby or do you depend on it for your livelihood, would your support costs (money, time, effort, aggravation) be reduced if you duplicated a proven solution that you already have...

My hackmini has cost me WAAAYYYY more in time, effort, aggravation than it would have cost me for a real MacMini X1. And that doesn't include the time I spend maintaining the guide to help others. Then again, I didn't build the hack to save money or time.

Bottom line: if you're making an important purchasing decision on which your livelihood depends, you probably have more requirements than are included in your question.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
Vega
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Intel, regarding macOS support, can quote Mark Twain from the New York Journal, "I can understand perfectly how the report of my illness got about, I have even heard on good authority that I was dead." ;)

Motherboard
Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Snow Leopard killed off PowerPC, if a good reference point, it was a 2-2.5 year cycle in that particular endeavor.

They will still release .dot updates for Monterey for Intel processors, but I think Monterey is the last one to support Intel.

The new intel Mac Pro is in development. Imagine buying another 10,000 dollar Mac Pro and being useless in 1 year. Not happening.. You're looking at 7 years of intel Mac at least.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490i Aorus Ultra - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The new intel Mac Pro is in development. Imagine buying another 10,000 dollar Mac Pro and being useless in 1 year. Not happening.. You're looking at 7 years of intel Mac at least.

You sound very positive. That's always good news. :thumbup:

Monterey is still Intel, and Security Updates always follow even when a new OS is released. Mojave just received 2021-004.

So I think there is every reason to be optimistic. :)

Motherboard
Z390 Aorus Elite-CF
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am sure Apple would not kill off Intel support anytime soon. There are way too many people using brand new Intel macs now and Apple will not want to risk facing multiple lawsuits over this.

You can rest assured that Apple will provide at least 3-5 years worth of support from the day it sells its last Intel Mac. Fearmongers can choose to disagree.

That said, the days of Hackintosh are coming to an end, finally. I could have bought a real mac if I wanted to, but Hackintoshing was so much more fun! I guess another 7-8 years and Hackintoshes will be a relic of the past!

Long live the Hackintosh!

Motherboard
GA-Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am sure Apple would not kill off Intel support anytime soon. There are way too many people using brand new Intel macs now and Apple will not want to risk facing multiple lawsuits over this.

You can rest assured that Apple will provide at least 3-5 years worth of support from the day it sells its last Intel Mac. Fearmongers can choose to disagree.

That said, the days of Hackintosh are coming to an end, finally. I could have bought a real mac if I wanted to, but Hackintoshing was so much more fun! I guess another 7-8 years and Hackintoshes will be a relic of the past!

Long live the Hackintosh!
I hope I'm not wrong, however, I would give it more than 3-5 years. For someone who is going to buy the new Mac Pro Intel that will be coming out, I doubt that Apple will support them only for up to 5 years. As you said, lawsuits are a bitch especially for such expensive machines. I hope we will be seeing at least another 7 years of customac-ing after the last model of Intel Mac Pro is issued. Either way, looking forward to it.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I hope I'm not wrong, however, I would give it more than 3-5 years. For someone who is going to buy the new Mac Pro Intel that will be coming out, I doubt that Apple will support them only for up to 5 years. As you said, lawsuits are a bitch especially for such expensive machines. I hope we will be seeing at least another 7 years of customac-ing after the last model of Intel Mac Pro is issued. Either way, looking forward to it.

MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1, and MacBook4,2 shipped with Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and lost support after Mac OS 10.7 Lion. Less than 3 years of OS support. No bitching lawsuits.

Last edited: