Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is exactly what i thought, apple is going to make a mac that is like a surface pro

an ipad/mac

all in one

but not only they are going to merge the hardware but also ios and mac os sofware, is very obvious and predictable,

apple is also going touch screen with that

the best way to innovate is to steal “borrow” an old idea from your rival

another sign that tim cook has to go

yes they are making changes
but that is not innovation
it might be new for apple but is not new for the rest of the world

they don’t know what else to do

well let’s just destroy mac os

tim has never been a desktop computer kind of guy

so what is the best way to replace a computer after that horrendous comment that he made afew years ago

oh yeah, an ipad/mac os hybrid with and ipad/mac os hybrid os can replace a computer

tim tim tim

what bad way to ruin a party

big sur, the begining of the end

Your thinking is shareable in many points, if you keep it as a prediction of something that will happen exactly like this.
I hope that in "taking" an idea had by others before, they have the foresight to adapt it to the present and the future, above all, therefore implementing improvements compared to what it was originally and that the production limits of time imposed, both on the plane hardware than software. In a field like that of those devices, the optimized synergy between hardware and software changes the effects of use in a miraculous way.
Of course it is true that if the "POP" necessity will push downwards, seeing in the maxi iPad is a plausible risk, but here too, I hope that Apple has reasoned in terms of who buys. For example, if I have the possibility of having an iPad that has the advantages of portability, I will never buy a device that loses those advantages, if it does not have much much more to offer me (and this would apply even if the prices were close), above all when the operating system is expected to run the same software on both platforms.
In short, in your opinion there are all the risks that you run in a possible maneuver of this kind, but that if it had been hypothesized, for how many balances it moves in the market, it cannot have been thought of with a vision of the context and the future proportional to the size of Apple, which although it will have lost the visionary nature of the times of Jobs, must still face, as a production company, a competitive context that is among the most difficult in industry and services.
I just hope that it does not resort too much to maintain its soil to an excessive closure within its ecosystem. A path that tends to pursue (because it is very easy), in proportion to the exclusivity of what they offer, all companies in highly competitive and highly technological sectors.
However, a practice that goes against the needs of the professional sectors that use the products of those companies, which instead need to be able to freely move on all the possible functions regardless of the brand that offers them, always choosing what achieves the best results.
So it would be desirable, just to make, as example, a USB4 instead of Tunderbolt or other personal solutions such as the already seen on Apple and so on ...

Only time will tell if they thought "Big" (as BIG SUR(face?)'s "BIG" also says), bringing the POP to the PRO or thinking downward, forcing the PRO to the POP.

Last edited:
Time to move to windows 10 , i need a desktop no a mobile operating system overpriced
I hope that Microsoft finally fix the white glitches dark mode, and redesign the explorer. Natove smooth scrolling woudl be welcome either.

At the moment I am running a dual boot system , in the past few weeks I forced myself to use windows after working for decades with macOS. My expericne so far is:
Windows is definately faster reacting and feels more snappy that macOS. It even boot/shut down much faster.

Downside is that there are ugly visual glitches in dark mode.
For example when I expand a Explorer window, open a file dialog (from the felt 100 diffrent inconcise designs and layouts) get a bright white flash. Or resizing colums in outlook / darkmode also result into white ugly tearing.
Please anyone using Windows in here . please vote in feedbackup that this stuff finally get fixed.

Compared to Windows looks macOS much smoother, it looks at most (99%) state just beautiful.
It reacts however slower than windows eg resizing windows eg Finder is slower, I prefer the default fonts of macOS, the closest I get on windows was manually replacing the font ... ahh ok... that is the wrong topic here for this discussion :)

Why do some people think that this transition to Apple CPUs be the death of Hackintosh? What are the technical limitations for building one in the future once Apple completely drops support for Intel CPUs? For example, there are Hackintoshes running with AMD CPUs which Apple doesn't use. Wouldn't it be just as easy to continue to run a Hackintosh on Intel or AMD CPUs after Apple completely drops support for Intel?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm obviously not a programmer, but that question has been on my mind even before the official announcement from Apple. Hopefully someone can provide a good answer to it.
the instrunctions set on the cpu, also the way the operating system and apps are compile, yes you can patch the kernel to run amd but i think that is because even intel and amd have a few diferences, they are similar in most aspect at least the basic stuff, of course with the exception of the special features that are design just for that specific CPU. but ARM might be a totally diferent story because is another architecture, i don’t think someone will be able to create an app to compile the os and the apps to run on intel cpu after apple switches completely to ARM, yes apple can do it because they have money and resources but an avg person is limited by tools and money.

i’m sure apple can still make the os run on both cpu’s because they will do it for a few years, but they are dropping intel support because they really want to, it can be a few reasons, geting rid of the hackintosh can be one of them, another one can also be to make it easier to write the os and the apps by removing the extra unnecesary intel libraries

once apple remove intel from the apps and os then it will be very hard to create a way to force the os and the apps to run on intel, is not just hardware checks, thise are easy to bypass, is about the instructions set, library and the way the apps and the os is compile

while it might not be impossible, it will be a little hard and even if someone is able someway some how to come up with a miracle, it will take some time

is taking the big and mighty apple 2 years for the transition, so just imagine

just enjoy the moment and even after apple finally reaches their goal, you will still have a few extra years untill the latest os is no longer supported

depending on the person way of thinking, you can still use the expire unsupported last version of mac os with intel support, but in the era we are living now is too risky, to have or use and expired or obsolete os, unless you use it offline to do work

is good to plan ahead and think about the future but as long as we don’t forget or ignore to live and enjoy the present

many thing can happen by the time we get there, so i think is better not to worry or think about it too much

:headbang:

Last edited:
Sometimes it is hard to tell whether things will be a big leap forward, or a gamble that becomes a huge mistake. Will it be instant success, or will success lag somewhat?

On one hand, the ARM announcement is bad news for power users and consumers that rely upon the Intel platform for their full MacOS experience (Bootcamp, Parallels, Virtualization, Hacks etc.). My rough guess is that this "camp" represents a small percentage of Mac users in the World (<10%), and further yet, a tiny percent of Apple's user base and source of revenue (4Q FY 2019 ALL Mac products only accounted for ~11% of Apple's revenue).

On the other hand, it is very obvious why Apple is moving Mac to ARM. ARM is massively successful and Apple is a leading implementer of ARM in iPhone/iPad. With ARM, a SoC can be anything they want it to be, not what Intel or AMD thinks it should be. 4 BIG cores + 4 little cores + 4 GPU's + other goodies like Bluetooth, Wifi, 5G....no problem. A Lite version SoC and a Pro version SoC, no problem. And, the ability to integrate newer ARM and mobile technology as it advances, when Apple chooses to implement, no problem.

At the same time, the move to ARM will greatly and further facilitate Apple to share and merge the technical foundation and UX between iPhone, iPad, Macbook, iMac, and even Mac Pro (shudder). For MacBooks, this will be a boon for battery life, and perhaps finally with touchscreens? Offering embedded Apple devices and super small and efficient Mac minis will be entirely possible. In my old days of Android kernel development, I grew quite fond of ARM technology and how it was being licensed and implemented using the Linux kernel. I have no doubt Apple will dazzle most folks with this new hardware (cost, efficiency and performance).

However, as you move to higher performance iMacs, and especially Mac Pro workstations, the gamble is riskier for Apple in the short term if they don't immediately deliver on equal performance. But, given all of the above upsides for Apple, I doubt they even care this side of business. They will push more efficient, sleeker, and smaller devices to drive up revenue using their services model (2nd highest revenue behind iPhone). If they can drive hardware costs down and increase revenue by selling "lite" versions of MacBooks and iMacs (and hopefully cloud services), then they will further penetrate the Worldwide hardware market and increase their 2nd highest revenue sweet spot. They will happily sacrifice 1 Mac Intel power user for 5-10 new Macbook users with some buying services.

I think it all depends on which camp you live in and what you need in the future. Most of us here are obviously in the first camp :(. I would say I am in both camps since I have and use so many different devices as a technology geek. While I am excited to see the future, I am sad to see the change and the bleak future of Hacks as we know them.

I am in the same process, and I confirm that almost everything works better in Windows, for more comfort I am trying out Skins that almost transform Windows 10 into macOS, Maybe the future will pass not through hackintosh but wintosh :)
I hope that Microsoft finally fix the white glitches dark mode, and redesign the explorer. Natove smooth scrolling woudl be welcome either.

At the moment I am running a dual boot system , in the past few weeks I forced myself to use windows after working for decades with macOS. My expericne so far is:
Windows is definately faster reacting and feels more snappy that macOS. It even boot/shut down much faster.

Downside is that there are ugly visual glitches in dark mode.
For example when I expand a Explorer window, open a file dialog (from the felt 100 diffrent inconcise designs and layouts) get a bright white flash. Or resizing colums in outlook / darkmode also result into white ugly tearing.
Please anyone using Windows in here . please vote in feedbackup that this stuff finally get fixed.

Compared to Windows looks macOS much smoother, it looks at most (99%) state just beautiful.
It reacts however slower than windows eg resizing windows eg Finder is slower, I prefer the default fonts of macOS, the closest I get on windows was manually replacing the font ... ahh ok... that is the wrong topic here for this discussion :)
[/CITAR]

They will happily sacrifice 1 Mac Intel power user for 5-10 new Macbook users with some buying services.

In my first post on a thread related to this transition I said that, in my opinion, but I think it is something shared by everyone on Apple systems and not, is that Apple's greatest treasure is the status of a reliable and professional company.
A status that has built over the decades, since it was born and that for this status, developers have always done their utmost to provide applications that were worthy of this status, with the result that every third-party software is among the most functional, stable and effective, when running on MacOS, when compared to the version running on Windows. And this commitment of software manufacturers, even of an important level, has always done this even if Apple's market numbers were much lower than those of Windows, all by virtue of that status.
Choosing today to give up 1 Professional for 5-10 basic users, would lead to the collapse of that status in a very short time, transforming Apple into a company of great quality, but still an exclusively consumer company.
All that could result from the commitment of software development companies is automatic, given the reasoning above.
An excellent hardware, without the support of a software that enhances it, becomes mediocre as mediocre is the software capable of using it.
MacOS is excellent (although windows has made great strides lately), but by itself it remains a nice operating system and that's it.
The reason why they have always been careful not to provide iPad versions of Final Cut or Logic, despite having made external drives usable, memory limits aside, (but putting 16 gigs of ram on iPad would cost less than putting 1TB of SSD- equivalent), have you wondered?
If the software running on MacOS ran on iOS, given that they showed, in the last WWDC, that they run at par on the A12 (and I believe it is very true), many would no longer have bought Mac, but only iPad, what not occurred because the computer is used for the software and if the software for the Mac is reduced to what is found for the iPad because the developers no longer believe they have to support that status to Apple, because they see it thinking only of commerce, what happens?
It is no coincidence that at WWDC they have put in the foreground the agreements already made with Adobe etc ... but they too take little to reduce the potential of the software because they no longer invest much in development for MacOS. After all, at WWDC they have not guaranteed that the future Photshop for MacOS will be the same as the current one and not the same as the Photoshop Express that currently runs on iPad.
If they move only by virtue of the numbers of buyers and not their quality, in a short time (less than the time of abandoning support for Intel, after the transition is over), they will be able to forget the presentations such as that of MacPRO in which Apple compared the PRO screen to Sony PRO displays and those presentations weigh infinitely on the market, because many of those consumer numbers choose Apple also for the charm that these presentations have, even if they don't know what they mean. That "Status" is a huge treasure, and I'm sure Apple and its managers know it well.

i was very upset when apple did what they did when they launched mojave

that’s why i left
i told everybody what was the point on spending money on an amd card if most likely intel was next on the exclusion list

but it doesn’t end there
we lost nvidia
we lost intel

now we are losing our precious mac os, desktop mode

now we getting a mac, ios, ipad os fusion

so everything about mac os user experience has been ruined

some users might still like the new os, specially if they are iphones and ipad lovers, but there are also another sector that doesn’t like the change on hardware if is going to hurt performance, like mac pro owners who do a lot of video editing where many cores come handy, also the change on the software

so is a big gamble, if apple can deliver good performance for the mac pro they might pull it off but they already have many upset pro users that left to windows because they couldn’t use nvidia or cuda on mac os

now this

is like apple really want to push those users away, so what kind of users they are aming for?

ios users? the big mayority of apple revenue

i guess that is the stategy, have all
ios users using a mac, they will
love it because is tecnically ios or ipad on a computer, with ios apps etc

so they don’t care about the minority
real desktop users and they don’t care about the mac or mac os

those who want a real desktop experience can move to windows, we only want ios lovers maybe they will
like the new os and buy a mac just the sameway they buy an iphone

that will
boost macs sales

sure tim
unless it backfires

you killed mac os
but hey you are the ceo

Last edited:
is like apple really want to push those users away, so what kind of users they are aming for?
Here is their target audience nowadays. LOL

Attachments

• target audience.png
    target audience.png
    365 KB · Views: 183
LOL is right. That comic says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back