Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thinking about my problem with the fingerprints on the screen ....
But what if BIG SUR is short for "BIG SURface"?:rolleyes:
It looks like the menu bar has extra space between the icons so you could touch just one with your index finger or even a stylus quite easily.

1593785692482.png

It looks like the menu bar has extra space between the icons so you could touch just one with your index finger or even a stylus quite easily.

It was for what I had foreseen the future iMac with the stand that allows the screen to position itself comfortably for drawing, writing and using your hands, i.e. horizontal or semi-horizontal, a bit of post back, on this thread.
The clue you highlighted is one, but there are others that are even more explicit and you don't even need a too careful observer.
Just one who uses iPad and has the obsession of fingerprints on the screen, like me ... :p
But of course the abbreviation on the first name that refers to the BIG SURface, would be an Easter egg worthy of Apple.

It was for what I had foreseen the future iMac with the stand that allows the screen to position itself comfortably for drawing, writing and using your hands, i.e. horizontal or semi-horizontal, a bit of post back, on this thread.
The clue you highlighted is one, but there are others that are even more explicit and you don't even need a too careful observer.
Just one who uses iPad and has the obsession of fingerprints on the screen, like me ... :p
But of course the abbreviation on the first name that refers to the BIG SURface, would be an Easter egg worthy of Apple.
I've kind of wondered at times in the past why Apple never approached this. Sort of a cross between a Wacom tablet and an iMac. If not the "all-in-one" of the current style, then have a "dumb" interactive panel with touch or stylus input as the display with a collapsable stand that can be positioned as either a drawing pad in your lap/horizontal on a desk or flipped up into a stand a-la conventional monitor/iMac with a connection to either a Mac-mini style box or something even bigger (Mini-ATX or smaller might make a good form factor with room for at least one PCIe slot for an upgradeable dGPU). Wacom offers touch screens up to 32"! No reason Apple couldn't do the same. A lot of their business is with creative types so this seems to be a no-brainer.

I've kind of wondered at times in the past why Apple never approached this. Sort of a cross between a Wacom tablet and an iMac. If not the "all-in-one" of the current style, then have a "dumb" interactive panel with touch or stylus input as the display with a collapsable stand that can be positioned as either a drawing pad in your lap/horizontal on a desk or flipped up into a stand a-la conventional monitor/iMac with a connection to either a Mac-mini style box or something even bigger (Mini-ATX or smaller might make a good form factor with room for at least one PCIe slot for an upgradeable dGPU). Wacom offers touch screens up to 32"! No reason Apple couldn't do the same. A lot of their business is with creative types so this seems to be a no-brainer.

Can they? Yes.

Would they? Unlikely.

It's a niche market device, it's not something normal folks walks into an Apple Store or electronics store to look for every day. Your R&D supply chain etc investments are way better off spent elsewhere. You might say if Apple makes it people would buy it, but Wacom is charging $2,499.95 for just a 24" model...how much do you think Apple would charge if they come out with such a device?

It's really about does it make business sense to do so.

Can they? Yes.

Would they? Unlikely.

It's a niche market device, it's not something normal folks walks into an Apple Store or electronics store to look for every day. Your R&D supply chain etc investments are way better off spent elsewhere. You might say if Apple makes it people would buy it, but Wacom is charging $2,499.95 for just a 24" model...how much do you think Apple would charge if they come out with such a device?

Just to imagine such a device in an Apple Store, you have to visualize the crowd of people lined up to get hands on it. A device of this kind arouses enormous charm, precisely because of the creative potential it has and at the same time for the flexibility of use and the convenience of use. In practice, one would do what one wants and it would be instinctive, that is, without having to learn how, because the access routes to the same practice would be at the user's choice.
If you see it only as a professional medium, I will direct it to the creative professional, I agree with you that it is certainly more niche, even if I don't know how much, because even a creative professional, being able to choose to invest in a single device, instead of many, divided and certainly less powerful individually, compared to a workstation that can do everything, choose that and therefore the numbers widen a lot.
But in any case if you apply Apple's mentality to this tool on the extension of the functionality it loves to offer and add a lot of seasoning, intended as a nice "pop" drift (intended just as popular), to be impressed by necessity to the Mac market, to bring it closer to the iPhone/iPad market, I see it very feasible.
On the comparison of prices with other brands, I believe that if Apple wants to create an instrument capable of putting into serious difficulties just many of those, for which it would become an impossible competitor to equalize, precisely because it is able to offer a complete set while the others the individual features
Just to give an example that goes beyond what you can imagine on the fly thinking of such a creative tool and therefore staying out of the figurative world: think of an integration of Logic's potential with those of having a multitouch and multi tool input (given by any other input devices); would open the field to a quantity of innovations and practically infinite experiments.
The potential and the appeal on the market are so high that, in my opinion Apple, with the need to put a strength point at the base of the new Apple Silicon, has built a pyrotechnic show on it for this autumn.

this is exactly what i thought, apple is going to make a mac that is like a surface pro

an ipad/mac

all in one

but not only they are going to merge the hardware but also ios and mac os sofware, is very obvious and predictable,

apple is also going touch screen with that

the best way to innovate is to steal “borrow” an old idea from your rival

another sign that tim cook has to go

yes they are making changes
but that is not innovation
it might be new for apple but is not new for the rest of the world

they don’t know what else to do

well let’s just destroy mac os

tim has never been a desktop computer kind of guy

so what is the best way to replace a computer after that horrendous comment that he made afew years ago

oh yeah, an ipad/mac os hybrid with and ipad/mac os hybrid os can replace a computer

tim tim tim

what bad way to ruin a party

big sur, the begining of the end

Can they? Yes.

Would they? Unlikely.

Niche market?! Like Nike, Dyson, GM, ANY architectural firm, ANY design agency? You obviously missed the last line of my post. Graphic design is most definitely NOT a niche market with a worth of over $50 billion a year.

Why do some people think that this transition to Apple CPUs be the death of Hackintosh? What are the technical limitations for building one in the future once Apple completely drops support for Intel CPUs? For example, there are Hackintoshes running with AMD CPUs which Apple doesn't use. Wouldn't it be just as easy to continue to run a Hackintosh on Intel or AMD CPUs after Apple completely drops support for Intel?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm obviously not a programmer, but that question has been on my mind even before the official announcement from Apple. Hopefully someone can provide a good answer to it.

Why do some people think that this transition to Apple CPUs be the death of Hackintosh? What are the technical limitations for building one in the future once Apple completely drops support for Intel CPUs? For example, there are Hackintoshes running with AMD CPUs which Apple doesn't use. Wouldn't it be just as easy to continue to run a Hackintosh on Intel or AMD CPUs after Apple completely drops support for Intel?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm obviously not a programmer, but that question has been on my mind even before the official announcement from Apple. Hopefully someone can provide a good answer to it.
Like patching the kernel and that sort of thing? Might be possible but I don’t like the idea personally.
I actually predict the ARM thing will take off for desktop computing and competitors will ship similar parts for Windows machines. If this happens, and the ARM platform is somewhat universal (I really have no idea how this works) hackintoshing could have a transition of its own.

Time to move to windows 10 , i need a desktop no a mobile operating system overpriced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back