Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear community,
1 query, I have Core i5 - 4460 with Intel HD4600 Integrated graphics... Will my existing hackintosh on Catalina (10.15.5) be able to run Big Sur as well?
Thanks.

Dear community,
1 query, I have Core i5 - 4460 with Intel HD4600 Integrated graphics... Will my existing hackintosh on Catalina (10.15.5) be able to run Big Sur as well?
Thanks.
Maybe, I know that they seem to be cutting off igfx support at HD5000. HD4600 came out slightly (3 months) before HD5000 in 2013. Ironically, Notebookcheck website says this: "Although the HD 5000 features 40 Execution Units, the graphics performance is still somewhat below the HD Graphics 4600 with only 20 EUs."

What may work for HD4600 is: setting the PlatformID to 0x0D220003 (Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200) and device-id to 0x0412 (Intel HD 4600) in your config.plist. I'm not one hundred % sure of that. It has worked in previous macOS versions.

There are 2014 iMacs and Mac minis that have HD5000 as primary GPU that still have support. The official word from Apple is that 2013 iMacs and older 2012 Mac minis have been dropped from support. What doesn't make sense is that the Late 2013 21.5" iMac with Iris Pro 5200 graphics will not work with Big Sur. That is a Big Surprise. Send Tim Cook an email and ask him why this is. [email protected]
Thanks to the fast eDRAM memory, the average performance of the Iris Pro is only about 15 percent behind the dedicated mid-range cards GeForce GT 650M and GT 750M (DDR3 versions). This makes the Iris Pro even faster than AMDs Radeon HD 8650G and the fastest integrated GPU of 2013.

Screen_Shot_9.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I keep thinking about but nobody really has the explanation: If Intel CPUs are that problematic, why hasn’t Apple considered AMD Ryzen? Unless Apple Silicon chips are even more powerful than Ryzen...
Uhmmm...I think Apple wants to control every piece of its products and gets the maximum profit, that's all (IMO).Am I frightened of Apple making its own processors? No. Am I frightened of my Hackintosh not working after many years of support by Apple Intel machines sold right now? No.
So let's wait for the community to make "Magic" and make Big Sur to work on our machines.
I have two Apple's machines marked by Apple as "obsolete", an iMac late 2009 27 inches and a MBP mid 2010 and both are running Catalina 10.5.5 (thanks DosDude1 :thumbup::clap: ) and I am very happy with them.
Don't worry about Apple's new movement, we have Hackintosh for years...

Last edited:
One thing I keep thinking about but nobody really has the explanation: If Intel CPUs are that problematic, why hasn’t Apple considered AMD Ryzen? Unless Apple Silicon chips are even more powerful than Ryzen...

Probably because it's not about CPU power but control over its chips and therefore the bussiness

Any one tried to installing macOS 11, instead of talking about how mr.coooook went south in a big way.

Discussion of the Developer Beta of Big Sur is not permitted on the forums due to Apple's NDAs. Any such conversations will be removed.

However when the Public Beta is released next month then we can start discussing it in detail.

:)

good system, nice style... good activity

What if Apple leaves Intel... but not the x86 world completely?What if the Apple Silicons are meant for low-middle level machines? What if the Universal binary is here for staying for long enough because they want to use AMD Ryzen CPU on the high-end machines?

I'm switching to PC, I'm really sorry for the Apple OS, but all apps work better on PC, Cinema 4D and ADOBE to take advantage of NVIDIA acceleration, not to mention Solidworks and more professional apps that only work on Windows. With the end of Hackintosh, is it better to have a Mac just because it is beautiful and very expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back