Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan, but see the logic of the direction. I think I have five real macs and my main hack at this point. If Intel support drops, then the main hack will likely go to windows and honestly the direction that is going in with Linux compatibility, I am not to worried. It is so far off in the future that I won't own this current hardware when that happens regardless.

I periodically boot back to Linux for some coding and will likely miss OSX, but I will figure it out.

My favorite system is my new mac mini, and honestly for a basic system, I love it and would certain by one with an apple cpu if needed.

I am not an all apple guy though (still love my android phone) so I am not of the all apple all the time mindset. The day I can't build a hack is the day I simply have to run another OS on my main workhorse system (central storage, video processing etc). Considering that I often do not jump major versions for a year, that day is a long long ways off.

this is exactly what mr cook wants
exterminate all hackintosh users
so they buy a real mac

if they like mac os so much then they will have to buy a real mac

this the Nvdia / AMD bs strategy all over again
it did worked with many
but it didn't work with me

i see through the lies of the jedi
  • My worst experience of electric products is from Nvidia graphics cards
  • I have real Macs and will still buy a new one in the future
  • My best friends use Macs because of my recommendation

How do you know?
Also, what is your definition of "long time"?

Here on the outside, we have no idea what they've cooked up inside the Apple labs.
I expect to be surprised.

Just think about it... it's not economically fesiable to design and manufacture a high end ARM cpu that can outperform Intel or AMD processor. There's simply not enough demand for it to justify the cost, research and time to develop one for Mac Pro. More people buy Macbooks and iMacs. Not so with Mac Pros.

They don't need to build special Cpu for high end Mac Pro, they can put 2 or 4 cpus on the motherboard just like in the old MacPro. Their software is already optimised for multi threading and you can have a lot of those on Arm. 2 more years and x86 is gone from Apple line.

Apple Silicon
I am not happy about Apple moving to their own silicon - but it only makes sense. Intel's year-to-year improvements have been terrible since Skylake - where they moved to a tick-tock-tock-tock-tock cycle and we are now on 14nm+++++ architecture. AMD is eating them alive and Macs are unable to deliver best-in-class performance. I am surprised they did not go for this sooner - but then Apple does take its time with certain things. I only hope that we can see cheaper MacBooks - or that the budget from the Intel Overhead goes into something else that is useful. Like better screens!

Big Sur
Some design features I love - and a graphical overhaul is always a welcome and refreshing change, as they were stuck on the same thing since Yosemite (apart from the dark Bin icon...). It is not as drastic as what we saw from Maverick to Yosemite, but I welcome it nevertheless. I will not lie and say I love everything about the design - has anyone seen the battery icon in the Settings pane? "What a sad day for democracy" ... Also - widgets and control centre are something that just screams "iOS" - and while some are seeing this as a bad thing, I think the silver lining is that we may finally see a mac with a touch screen. How many users here have a touch-screen based hack and love the touch interaction? Lol, I'd say zero and I will probably be right.

I also think this is the end of upgradeable Macs. We will probably be seeing thinner notebooks built more similarly to tablets rather than laptops with zero changeable parts. Which also makes sense - it is just not the common sense.. yet.

A sad day is on its way for the Hackintosh community - yet, we never know when it would be. At the time it looks like we will have another five to seven years - so I say there is no better time to build a monster hack than now!

[I am going OFF topic here]
@Gogeta-Blue
I don't understand why you're throwing your toys out of your pram? Just because they announced new silicon, does not mean they will drop support for Intel based machines anytime soon. They simply cannot afford to. Think about it - they said it themselves, they still have Intel Macs in the pipeline - this means there will be intel-based machines next year. They will never sell a machine with less than three years of support.

In the case of the Power PC - EOL came in 2011 - full 7 years after the switch to Intel was announced. Have you got a clue how meaningless your current hardware will be in 7 years?? Enjoy it for now - and if you have not found alternative ways to work off your NVidia-based rig by now - just switch to a different OS, as many others have. Believe it or not - going away from MacOS speaks loudlier than staying and complaining about it. You should think about that ;)

Also, how can you be talking about dignity when you are literally hacking your way in lol!
I have read this entire thread - and it's mostly just you flaming about with nothing to say. Nothing constructive, anyway.

Big Sur
Some design features I love - and a graphical overhaul is always a welcome and refreshing change, as they were stuck on the same thing since Yosemite (apart from the dark Bin icon...). It is not as drastic as what we saw from Maverick to Yosemite, but I welcome it nevertheless. I will not lie and say I love everything about the design - has anyone seen the battery icon in the Settings pane? "What a sad day for democracy" ... Also - widgets and control centre are something that just screams "iOS" - and while some are seeing this as a bad thing, I think the silver lining is that we may finally see a mac with a touch screen. How many users here have a touch-screen based hack and love the touch interaction? Lol, I'd say zero and I will probably be right.

I also think this is the end of upgradeable Macs. We will probably be seeing thinner notebooks built more similarly to tablets rather than laptops with zero changeable parts. Which also makes sense - it is just not the common sense.. yet.

I don't like the new designs since it looks exactly like iOS designs which I loathe. If it offers the option to keep legacy or alternative designs then I may stay but the question remains... what new lockdowns will Apple impose on Big Sur. If it's going to be exactly like iOS with jailbreak then I'm going to stay with Catalina or start using Linux or FreeBSD Desktop.

There are many more Windows machines in the world than Macs. Lots of room for growth.
Big chances, this could indded change teh whole computer landscape if done right.

All applications I've been using run better in Windows.
Therefore I am currently using more Windows 10, especially Presonus Studio One suxx on macOS compared to Windows 10.

But that might change once Presonus is forced to implement Metal support :)

Windows 10 feels alot faster, snappier but looks broken. Especially the dark mode looks cheap with all the white glitches. Aero snap fullscreen explorer, white glitch. Open filke dialog , glitch , resizeing sidebar in outlook glitch.
Instead of fixed such errors, Microsoft rather impriove the fecking phone app or cortana as popup yay.
Bing search in Start menu ? what's your damage Microsoft ? maybe fix essential things first ?

IF Apple will release a powerful (CPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD) enough Mac under 2000 $ I will buy (or lease) one.

Dude, I get your point. But you sound like a little child that got his toy stolen. And referencing the Jedi Order makes me cringe.

FYI: The Jedi were blinded by arrogance, not liars.
I guess you missed the joke or didn't get the point
I'm not the one crying about mac os
I wrote that I moved on

but I still build for costumer and friends
that's why I come here, I also saw the event
but it turn out to be a disaster for genuine mac users and also knockout blow to the hackintosh community

it depends on your point of view
I used to love and still love mac os
but I don't agree with the direction Mr. cook is going
if he is going south then I'm going north
but hey I'm not here to explain the movie to you
cheers

Last edited:
and the personal attack has started
I know when to step away
when I read the kind of comment that I'm reading from some folks
is always the same, their opinion is the one that matters
they are the smart ones, my opinion doesn't matter and I'm dumb
I was only expressing my opinion about the topic
some will agree and many won't

it is what it is :lol:

i was never upset because apple drop nvidia, is their lost anyway
they want to use the gimmick pro name to attract costumers
but the ones that really knows about computers won't fall for that cheap old trick

look at the so called mac "pro' look at the specs and the price
yes it can be turn into a pro computer but you will have to give the money you had saved to buy a house
just to buy that computer

I can tell when someone is upset, you guys are upset because you hackintosh journey will be over soon
meanwhile in the other side of the galaxy I'm having fun, waiting for my new NVidia 3000 card

many pros well at least the real pros had abandoned ship because of the very bad business decisions mr cook had made or taken

and here it goes another important fact
you guys think that you will be able to run mac os or should i say mac iOS just because you have an intel CPU

your end might come a lot sooner if the rumors about the kext extensions are true
also apple can still make some modifications to make hackintosh even harder to the point of impossible
while real intel macs can still run just fine, so is not just about the CPU

how you will be able to run mac os if you won't be able to use or load any 3rd party extension?

it seems like apple is locking all doors and making a road block

I'm very sorry that I'm the one who has to tell the bad news
but don't shoot the messenger

I was forced to move to windows but I accepted my faith
I guess you guys will be joining me soon even if you don't want to

there is always linux

anyway I be walking away because I can sense a disturbance in the force

Last edited:
and the personal attack has started
I know when to step away
when I read the kind of comment that I'm reading from some folks
is always the same, their opinion is the one that matters
they are the smart ones, my opinion doesn't matter and I'm dumb
I was only expressing my opinion about the topic
some will agree and many won't

it is what it is :lol:

i was never upset because apple drop nvidia, is their lost anyway
they want to use the gimmick pro name to attract costumers
but the ones that really knows about computers won't fall for that cheap old trick

look at the so called mac "pro' look at the specs and the price
yes it can be turn into a pro computer but you will have to give the money you had saved to buy a house
just to buy that computer

I can tell when someone is upset, you guys are upset because you hackintosh journey will be over soon
meanwhile in the other side of the galaxy I'm having fun, waiting for my new NVidia 3000 card

many pros well at least the real pros had abandoned ship because of the very bad business decisions mr cook had made or taken

and here it goes another important fact
you guys think that you will be able to run mac os or should i say mac iOS just because you have an intel CPU

your end might come a lot sooner if the rumors about the kext extensions are true
also apple can still make some modifications to make hackintosh even harder to the point of impossible
while real intel macs can still run just fine, so is not just about the CPU

how you will be able to run mac os if you won't be able to use or load any 3rd party extension?

it seems like apple is locking all doors and making a road block

I'm very sorry that I'm the one who has to tell the bad news
but don't shoot the messenger

I was forced to move to windows but I accepted my faith
I guess you guys will be joining me soon even if you don't want to

there is always linux

anyway I be walking away because I can sense a disturbance in the force

Pro's know what they need, they do not need such a comment. They do not compare a computer price with a house price = the computer will increase their profit, they will have a return on investment, they will win money.

ATM, you can have Windows and MacOS, on both hacks and Macs, I do not get your point.

I really do not think they are moving to ARM because of hacks, it is just a long term strategy and Intel is becoming the ill horse.

I am excited about ARM, If they succeed where others did not, it could be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back