Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be awesome if Apple would finally lower their RAM and SSD prices that move might draw a horde of new customers
Across the board price cuts would get more people to try a Mac. Apple's profit margins will go way up when they start using Apple Silicon. More than 30% from estimates I've seen. Whether they pass the savings onto their customers remains to be seen. It would make sense if they did. There are many more Windows machines in the world than Macs. Lots of room for growth.

Great article on the reasons behind the move not to "ARM" but to "Apple Silicon" here (and yes, there is a distinction): https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...migration-to-apple-silicon-is-bigger-than-arm

"In some respects, Apple's use of ARM cores in its SoCs is similar to its use of Unix in the OS itself. Both are effectively specifications that standardize the operations of low level technology layers. In the same way that Macs are more than just Unix systems, Apple's SoCs are more than just ARM processors.
As with Qualcomm's modems, the customizations, optimizations, and additional layers of proprietary work that Apple adds to its A-series SoCs results in a package that's significantly more valuable than its base components."

RIP Hakintosh running macOS. period.

Jailbreaking macOS every time os updated is unrealistic, time consuming, tedious. I will switch back to Windows 10 running linux. All applications I've been using run better in Windows. The only reason was the only macOS but no reason to stay anymore for me.

However, I will not upgrade any x86 cpus or laptops until Intel make 5nm CPUs. It will take 3~5 years, so I will stay 3~5 years more in macOS, buy x86 5nm cpus or labtops, and switch to Windows.

Only the registration date is different from tonymacx86.com.

Did you miss this? :)

RIP Hakintosh running macOS. period.

Jailbreaking macOS every time os updated is unrealistic, time consuming, tedious. I will switch back to Windows 10 running linux. All applications I've been using run better in Windows. The only reason was the only macOS but no reason to stay anymore for me.

However, I will not upgrade any x86 cpus or laptops until Intel make 5nm CPUs. It will take 3~5 years, so I will stay 3~5 years more in macOS, buy x86 5nm cpus or labtops, and switch to Windows.

Finally someone smart around here.

For the people who thinks that we will have a hackintosh arm cpu, you are delusional, that will never happen.

How old is the iOS, 13 years? Was someone able to install iOS on android phone? NO!!

After 2-3 years when they will move completely to Apple’s new silicon cpu and get rid of Intel, bye bye hackintosh, in that time the Mac OS will be locked ca also be named iOS.

If in the future Intel will build ARM CPUS, Apple will still use their own CPUS, there is no point of buying from someone else when you already built your own better ARM CPUS.

There is only one savior for us and that’s the Mac Pro, for power user only.

When Apple talked about gaming they was referring to Apple Arcade, that’s why they rushed the developers with the catalyst project.

Great article on the reasons behind the move not to "ARM" but to "Apple Silicon" here (and yes, there is a distinction): https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...migration-to-apple-silicon-is-bigger-than-arm

Great article! It should almost be considered "required reading" for everybody here because I think it does a good job of dispelling a lot of the myths surrounding Apple's move (and most likely kills all hope for ARM hackintoshes). Like it or not, it also helps draw implications for the overall future of computing (beyond Apple). The days of the desktop tower are, as we all know, dawning - but I don't think that means that we're all going to be stuck with touch screen tablets. I think the niche that desktops fill (power /big screen real estate/ flexible io / easy to use input devices) will remain. It's just the form factor that will change (and, hopefully, become even more affordable - times will tell).

Regardless, one viable strategy might be to keep yourself in the Apple ecosystem for as long as your hackintoshing will carry you. By the time the party is truly over, the whole computer paradigm might look entirely different anyway (and you can decide where to go from there).

I've personally (and very vocally - to the misfortune of everybody who knows me) moved to Linux, and love it, but I'm going to have to keep an eye on where Apple is heading. They might just (once again) be trailblazing into the future of computing.

Last edited:
Bootcamp is quite important to a lot of people these days

No it isn't - not to the main mass of the Apple user base.

It's completely and totally niche usage at this point.
It may be something we here enjoy, but I don't know a single other person that uses it anymore (across maybe 100 people at 3 offices).

Once Office got really good on macOS, they were done with Boot Camp.

Apple cares about the vast majority of their audience, not us with tiny little niche uses.

Actual power Windows user needs?
Those people either have a dedicated Windows machine or will build one.

Finally someone smart around here.

For the people who thinks that we will have a hackintosh arm cpu, you are delusional, that will never happen.

How old is the iOS, 13 years? Was someone able to install iOS on android phone? NO!!

After 2-3 years when they will move completely to Apple’s new silicon cpu and get rid of Intel, bye bye hackintosh, in that time the Mac OS will be locked ca also be named iOS.

If in the future Intel will build ARM CPUS, Apple will still use their own CPUS, there is no point of buying from someone else when you already built your own better ARM CPUS.

There is only one savior for us and that’s the Mac Pro, for power user only.

When Apple talked about gaming they was referring to Apple Arcade, that’s why they rushed the developers with the catalyst project.

Throwing down the sensible take..
Spot on - all of it.

Enjoy the Hacks while you can folks - it's a dead man walking

There are lots of users with iphone, or ipad, but Windows computers. Some of them might jump to Mac if it integrates even better with their mobile devices. MacOS offers software for music, editing movies, photos, calendar, mail, imessage, maps, lots of stuff right out of the box. Just like people expect. Windows offers less and less with each update it seems. I know people that still miss windows movie maker and outlook express.

I think this move will increase Apples market share especially outside the US (where market share actually is quite high for personal computers/laptops)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back