Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well first off I am a hardware guy (I still have an SGI O2 and a Sun Blade 2500 that still work for those old folks) so I think it is great that they are transitioning to their own silicon. The reason is because they will have better control over a ton of stuff. The CPU and all other subcomponents will be optimized for the machine and they will likely use much less power. Lets face it, the intel processor has always been just good enough but never great since intel has to support a lot of other companies and needs so they make a jack of all trades CPU (thus the reason we are able to build Hackintoshes). This works for most things we do daily but it is not optimized for specific tasks and we all know Apple will optimize everything on the system. I do think the new ARM based machines will out perform Intel silicon. Also, if you look around you can already find ARM based servers, granted on the fringe of technology but they do exists. I also think virtualization tools like parallels will still be around on the ARM machines to run windows stuff so I don't see the transition as an end all. Hell we might even be able to virtualize Catalina in parallels on an ARM mac. I know I was able to get OpenStep 4.0 to virtualize in parallels on my MBP, granted I never got the network card to work but the rest of it worked. The point is these tools will still exist and likely work on the new hardware given time. As for building a Hackintosh with an ARM processor, that might not be possible due to Apple's customizations to it's processor.

X86 lines will exist for sometime mainly for the Pro stations. I doubt that ARM can achieve Xeon level in a few years. Most likely all the pro lines will still be in X86 while non pro lines will be ARM.

Catalina specs specify some Mac models as old as 2012, and in general, I've see Apple hardware supported 7-8 years. That is, you can keep the OS current. After that, you can run the hardware on a superseded OS until there is some application software update that you just gotta have that requires an OS update. So, figure roughly 10 years. Maybe more if you can work with a system on which no further updates are possible. Depends on your requirements. Me, I'm switching to Linux. ;-)

Catalina specs specify some Mac models as old as 2012, and in general, I've see Apple hardware supported 7-8 years. That is, you can keep the OS current. After that, you can run the hardware on a superseded OS until there is some application software update that you just gotta have that requires an OS update. So, figure roughly 10 years. Maybe more if you can work with a system on which no further updates are possible. Depends on your requirements. Me, I'm switching to Linux. ;-)

Nothing in the lineup since the mid 2000's was on a different architecture.
That's the wildcard here and I would expect much shorter support and update lifespans as a result.

Whether it's disk drives, headphone jacks, USB ports -- you name it -- Once Apple gets its mind going in a new direction, they will push hard that way. They are saying all the sweet nothings people need to hear right now, particularly to keep Intel based sales going, but let's not fool ourselves.

We will look back and marvel at how swift the full Apple silicon move really was - just as we do now at the PPC to Intel move.

I think this is only for ARM Macs.
Yes, I got quite excited for a minute. ;-) Since I can't just upgrade my hacktop to run iOS apps the other option is to hope some clever dev hacks OS11 onto a iPad Pro. Or, more likely OS11 will be compatible to run emulated on a new iPad Pro via UTM app. UTM seems to run powerpc based OSX up through Leopard just fine. Perhaps OS11 will be even better as a ARM based OS?

The fastest supercomputer right now (Fugaku) is ARM-based.
thanks for the comment is good to know, i will look more info about that super computer

maybe arm is faster at ST performance, core speed but then again we also have MT that is good for video editing, rendering etc

so it just depends on what kind of job the person do or what they need the computer for, then based on that they can choose, is the same for gaming, less cores , faster clock speed

thanks for the comment is good to know, i will look more info about that super computer

maybe arm is faster at ST performance, core speed but then again we also have MT that is good for video editing, rendering etc

so it just depends on what kind of job the person do or what they need the computer for, then based on that they can choose, is the same for gaming, less cores , faster clock speed

And maybe Apple will show us one that's just flat out faster/better - period

I'm trying to stay positive here.
This might be better than we think!

(not for Hacks - but honestly - this has always been a hobby with a chance of having the rug pulled - we all knew that going in)

hello all, base on what I was work for Apple, the policy of the service for one product at least 7 years, as you can see the current OS only support to 2012 apple product, the new version only support from 2013 to current!

For the new ARM base apple product, there still need more time to make it better, so Apple will keep continuing Intel product, it won't switch to ARM base in one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back