Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, very interesting that we can run, I think? iOS apps on Big Sur. This means I upgrade my hackTop to OS11 and I don't really have to carry my iPhone around any more. Very convenient. Also, will OS11 be available to run on newer iPhones and iPads? Will it support touch? Will Big Sur support bootcamp on ARM devices and be able to run Windows 10X ? Imagine just carrying an iPhone to have everything on one device?? Such questions.

So, very interesting that we can run, I think? iOS apps on Big Sur. This means I upgrade my hackTop to OS11 and I don't really have to carry my iPhone around any more. Very convenient. Also, will OS11 be available to run on newer iPhones and iPads? Will it support touch? Will Big Sur support bootcamp on ARM devices and be able to run Windows 10X ? Imagine just carrying an Iphone to have everything on one device?? Such questions.
I think this is only for ARM Macs.

stop misleading people, why return it, the os will work at less 4 years plus, why is every one so negative about this, Apple is not gonna just switch off intel over night.

How is it misleading to state my opinion that “I would return it”?

I’m not making a factual statement… I’m simply weighing in with my opinion

Personally I’m looking at this from a desirability standpoint.

Apple Silicon is going to bring some really cool features that are going to be desirable and not replicatable on an Intel hack.
I am totally stoked to be able to run iPad apps natively on a Mac.

And honestly the whole AMD gpu thing has been holding me up on the Windows side anyways and ultimately this will just be better for me to have my gaming PC be back on NVIDIA.

I think we all just hack for different reasons.

With the kind of silicon work Apple has been showing on iOS devices I expect their laptops to be phenomenal in terms of performance and power usage and very desirable to have… Which I haven’t been able to say about the Intel laptops since about six years ago

arm cpus have a decent performance, but they can’t compete with a high end cpu, at least not yet, maybe in the future but it will take a few years

arm cpu are good and have a reasonable performance while keeping power comsumption as low as possible, that way they can save battery life

that’s why i believe these chips are just for mac laptops, basically the same as mobile

laptops are portable devices

one very important fact that many people fail to realize

do arm cpu have support for 64 lanes pci-e?

do they support over 1 tb of ram?

anyone?

no right, yes apple can replace the cpus on their macs because that won’t hurt performance that much,

in some case it might even increase performance due to the fact that the cpu will not throttle due to apple bad cooling solution, that are not good enough to cool down an intel cpu

just because the mac has to be thin

that’s why i belive apple won’t be changing the cpu on the the mac pro any time soon

maybe in a few years, they might come with a new arm monster just for the mac pro

but imagen how a high end procesor will performe at that time, they will also improve too, is not like the arm cpu will improve and high end will be stock without any progress

so at the end , it doesn’t matter how much arm involve, it will never be faster than a true high end cpu

iphone, ipads, laptops = arm
super high end , ultimate performance pc = cpu

that’s the way it is or the way it should be

Last edited:
With all the advantages to the custom world, it is conceivable that there will be a group of people somewhere to take any Apple Arm based system to task. At the speed that things are going it could happen quickly.

So, very interesting that we can run, I think? iOS apps on Big Sur. This means I upgrade my hackTop to OS11 and I don't really have to carry my iPhone around any more. Very convenient. Also, will OS11 be available to run on newer iPhones and iPads? Will it support touch? Will Big Sur support bootcamp on ARM devices and be able to run Windows 10X ? Imagine just carrying an Iphone to have everything on one device?? Such questions.
macOS 11 only runs on Macs. It’s uncertain if Boot Camp will be discontinued for ARM-based Macs, but Virtualisation was mentioned yesterday.

arm cpus have a decent performance, but they can’t compete with a high end cpu, at least not yet, maybe in the future but it will take a few years
Keep in mind that we have no idea what they have been working on behind the scenes and they have consistently exceeded expectations with their in-house chip work so far.

Also they would not be doing this transition if they couldn’t do it for their entire product line up...I’m fairly positive about that.

From Apple’s standpoint, Mac’s don’t need to be everything or do everything as long as they accomplish the more narrow set of goals their user base tends to have

macOS 11 only runs on Macs. It’s uncertain if Boot Camp will be discontinued for ARM-based Macs, but Virtualisation was mentioned yesterday.

Related to this…

I hope everybody realizes that the ability to have Boot Camp and running Windows on Mac hardware was simply a happy accident of switching to Intel and never a goal of Apple at all.

They simply don’t care about that support or compatibility and I would expect it to be gone beyond some type of emulation or virtualization or whatever the right word is.

i don’t know maybe i’m wrong but arm doesn’t seem to be a desktop architecture to me

is more like mobile and/or portable
maybe apple will be the first one to create a arm cpu for desktop

laptop don’t use many pci-e lanes
also the ram capacity is limited

maybe i’m wrong
i also didn’t close the door to the posibility, but i don’t see apple putting an arm cpu on the mac pro

unlesss is a new redesing arm cpu , specifically made for a desktop computer, i don’t know if that already exist, i have never bother to check

i’m not a fan of energy saving because i don’t use a laptop, i’m more like raw power ultimate performance kind of guy lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back