Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is when those mighty talented members of the Hackintosh community will figure out what it will take to turn commodity ARM motherboards in ARMintosh (or ARMacintosh) systems - the preponderance or proprietary Apple chips will make this more challenging, to find functional equivalents on the PC side, but I am confident that it can and will be done.

I wish you're right, but if that’s how you say it, then why can’t we run iOS on Android ARM?
I'm afraid we're losing this battle. So, let's enjoy another 2-4 years with Hackintosh. After that, back to shitty Windows or buy a real Mac.

I think that this is the fascinating question that we in the community should start examining closely. When we are able to get our hands on this hardware (and the OS, which admittedly is already in development preview) will we be able to figure out (i) how it operates and how it communicates with software, and (ii) once ARM architecture processors are released at retail, will we be able to tweak the OS and its related extensions/drivers/etc. to continue to build our own "PC hardware" that will operate on OSXI and beyond?

LaraML is right: we've tried to get iOS to operate on non Apple-ARM architectures and we haven't been able to get the OS to run as seamlessly, or natively, as we have with macOS and intel hardware. Why? Generally speaking, it is because the chips aren't just some "off the shelf" ARM processor as, say, our intel 9700s are. Well, what can we do to remedy that? What can we do to the software, the only thing we can likely adapt (as I'm sure we won't be able to change the architecture of an as-yet-unreleased retail ARM processor to match an Apple ARM) to make it work with an off the shelf ARM processor? Is it even possible?

All of these pending possibilities are unfortunately too remote to even speculate right now, which is what makes me a little anxious. I can't even begin to speculate because it is all so dang early in the process--that said, the thought of these communities and the "fun" of tweaking this OS to run on our hardware all fading away is a bit depressing. I remember back in the early 00s when I had my old Power Mac 5400 -- I seriously considered buying one of those retail G3 chips (I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but believe it or not you could buy non-apple G3 processors that would go into the processor slot of those old PPC motherboards) in order to get OSX (Cheetah! Version 1!) to run on it. My oh my how the times have changed.

Anyway, while I don't think we should resign ourselves to the notion that these community will eventually fade out, we should try to stay motivated, and inspired, to adapt to this new architecture and figure out a way to continue to use it to our advantage in this community.

Signed,

An old man who all of the sudden got nostalgic about macOS on PCs

Would be funny if macOS gets released for iPad.

About as long as it took to blow off Motorolla PPC chips, in other words, very swiftly maybe 2 years 3 tops. Now is a good time to build a beastly mac.

Farewell hackintosh community. :headbang:
We would still be able to hackintosh with the versions that do support Intel.

And former Windows Mobile users to Mac.
Apple announced just the things Microsoft was trying to do with Win10 on all platforms but failed. Apple will succeed. No doubt.
Microsoft didn't really fail? Windows 10X will run on ARM devices.

right now until the Mac (ARM) is available to buy and some ARM Mainboard are available...
It is like spitting in the wind.
No one know how the future will be and what you will be able to do, etc...
You can make it as bad as you want or as bright as you want.

May be the latest version on OSX will be the last to run on x86. Therefore all x86 Hackintosh will stay at that one.
of course in the future the latest Apps or Apps version might not run on it but until then happy hackintoshing.

Today is today.... Tomorrow is tomorrow.
Enjoy today!

not Mac specific but only to show everyone is at it.
Apple starts 'high end' every one else still toying with it.
the site has some interresting reading.

the name big sur
is absurd

i remember when craig said
no we are not merging mac os and ios
yeah right
today
we brought control center to the mac

i understand changes and moving foward

but it doesn’t feel like a desktop os anymore

more like the begining of an hybrid

for those who like it i have no objection, if only we will have nvidia support

but that is gone, now it seems like mac os is the next one in the hit list
awesome job mr cook

keep it up and you will end up driving all your mac users away

mr cook you just destroyed mac os
congratulations
I would beg to differ but I know better than to argue with a Saien. ;)

Why do you assume that?
I'm running a Ivy Bridge hackintosh, currently with an iMac 2013 profile. But I kinda do expect to bump that up to 2014 when necessary.
I'm interested to know how I can do it. As I understood , you can't just select any Mac profile unless the underlying hardware kind of match the official components. In this case, my Hack is Ivy Bridge (with Profile of iMac Late 2012), so how can I spoof it to appear as a a Haswell 2014 one (that Big Sur will support?). Should I add a FakeCPUID to appear as Haswell for my Ivy Bridge?. Or what method you use?. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back