Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
reading from everywhere people comment ... It is like going back in time when
1) 680xx to PPC
2) PPC to Intel

It was never all to be the next day. They (Apple) seem to make sure of this with Rosetta2 and not to cut bridges.
You run Intel... no problem carry until all Apps will need ARM specific (OS or HW) to run which might take some time.
For the Dev then compile and your Apps run on both platform with of course extra work to make sure they run smoothly on both platforms
End users... Again from what they say and if the performance are really there, people will get the ARM flavour. IF I had/have the money I would. When you see what a iPhone/iPad can do, I really want to see what a Mac can do
Many years ago I had the luck to play a bit with the Acorn Archimedes. It was something else compare to anything else available at the time.

Bottom line whatever people are saying x86 architecture is reaching the end of the line. There are no real future for it other than keeping running existing stuff. Of course they can tweak but they are stuck in their own spec which they cannot change after all you have to be backward compatible.

I believe this is why Apple took this route once again. New design which they now can expand to (infinity??) without the drag of having to use the same HW as everyone else and be stuck in path where the future is bleak.

At last if I recall you can buy now ARM Windows 'laptop'... One sad thing they do not have Rosetta2 to run existing Apps therefore unless you have a native apps they are a drag.

So basically, the question most people here have is probably how long will we still be able to run a Hackintosh. A couple more years, until they switch off Today AMD is formally launching its first ARM processor core, the Opteron A1100. AMD first announced its plans to enter the ARM market in 2013, with the chip expected to ship by mid-2014. The company apparently began early sampling around that time frame, but is only now launching the processor.Intel support, right ? 5 or 7 years maybe ?

Is there any other way for hackintosh to exist as boot mac OS on your iPad?

HACKINTOSH FOR iPAD.
Once upon a time, they used to call it unthetered jailbreak

You will be able to use for as long as you want....
Of course in the future you might not have access the latest Apps, Games or anything else for that matter but the current stuff will always work..
I can say I am in the same shoes as anyone else... Am I worried right now? No, since there will be a (long) while when my rig will be unusable as an OSX platform.

Right now....
If you have and Nvidia Card you are already stuck in the past and you are running on x86 platform which is still current!

I can still fire up my Quadra 700, my old xServe (PPC), iMac (PPC) or my iPad1 and use them. All the existing Apps on them works fine.
It will be the same for a Hackintosh. what's already running will keep running.

One thing surely will disappear - an option to run Windows on Mac hardware via bootcamp. Will this hurt the sale of ARM Mac? I know many people using MacBook or iMac to run Windows, as they prefer the Apple hardware but still need Windows for work related applications.

ivy bridge is dead on big sur?

I do not think that our hackintosh's will end tomorrow. Current intel Mac's will have at least 6-7 years supports (and not all will be ARM based next year).

In the meantime, we will see more and more standard PC computers with ARM processors, hackintosh may be possible again. We were able to install MacOS on other PPC computers, on onter Intel computers, I am pretty sure that we will be able to install macos on other ARM computers. All computer companies are doing quite the same thing.

If we cannot do this, I will buy a 3-4 years old Mac, 50% less expensive than a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back