3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
  5. SE
For Solidworks, aren't you best served by a dedicated Windows build anyways?
What I am used to serves me very well indeed - the MacPro 5,1 I have is a much better Windows machine than the similar spec'd dell it replaced and it means I don't need a dedicated Mac in that office. Sometimes the tail wags the dog but whatever way the bits are arranged, the wagging is probably over.

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here's some info as to why Apple decided to eventually say goodbye to Intel and start using variants of their own A-Series systems on a chip (SoCs).

We all know Apple hates leaks. There are leaks all over the internet that are incredibly accurate these days. We know pretty much every last detail about the newest upcoming iPhone every Fall. Some speculate that employees inside Apple leak this info to the people that post the leaks on Twitter, Youtube etc. There's another kind of "leak" of information that Apple just couldn't tolerate anymore and it's coming from Intel. Mainly, the CPUs that they make. Spectre and Meltdown were just the first of many. This is just not acceptable to Apple as they take privacy and security very seriously. I'm certain that any Apple employee that gets caught leaking sensitive info is immediately let go / terminated. The same goes for the product vendors they use so this makes complete sense to start using their own SoCs that they have complete control over.

When using their own SoCs they believe that they can provide a much more locked down product. The following examples are not even half of the total number. You can see them all at Zdnet.com

I've lost count of how many there are now so here's a visual representation of eight of them.

View attachment 478316View attachment 478317

View attachment 478318

View attachment 478319

View attachment 478320

View attachment 478321

View attachment 478322

View attachment 478323

Continuously adding more patches via firmware updates causes hits to CPU performance. They are mostly just bandaids for more serious problems in the chip design. Why Intel is not producing a better product is debatable. People that work at Intel could tell you but rarely ever make any public statements as to the cause of this security nightmare.
One thing I keep thinking about but nobody really has the explanation: If Intel CPUs are that problematic, why hasn’t Apple considered AMD Ryzen? Unless Apple Silicon chips are even more powerful than Ryzen...

Motherboard
ASUS B85M-G
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD4600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Dear community,
1 query, I have Core i5 - 4460 with Intel HD4600 Integrated graphics... Will my existing hackintosh on Catalina (10.15.5) be able to run Big Sur as well?
Thanks.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Dear community,
1 query, I have Core i5 - 4460 with Intel HD4600 Integrated graphics... Will my existing hackintosh on Catalina (10.15.5) be able to run Big Sur as well?
Thanks.
Maybe, I know that they seem to be cutting off igfx support at HD5000. HD4600 came out slightly (3 months) before HD5000 in 2013. Ironically, Notebookcheck website says this: "Although the HD 5000 features 40 Execution Units, the graphics performance is still somewhat below the HD Graphics 4600 with only 20 EUs."

What may work for HD4600 is: setting the PlatformID to 0x0D220003 (Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200) and device-id to 0x0412 (Intel HD 4600) in your config.plist. I'm not one hundred % sure of that. It has worked in previous macOS versions.

There are 2014 iMacs and Mac minis that have HD5000 as primary GPU that still have support. The official word from Apple is that 2013 iMacs and older 2012 Mac minis have been dropped from support. What doesn't make sense is that the Late 2013 21.5" iMac with Iris Pro 5200 graphics will not work with Big Sur. That is a Big Surprise. Send Tim Cook an email and ask him why this is. tcook@apple.com
Thanks to the fast eDRAM memory, the average performance of the Iris Pro is only about 15 percent behind the dedicated mid-range cards GeForce GT 650M and GT 750M (DDR3 versions). This makes the Iris Pro even faster than AMDs Radeon HD 8650G and the fastest integrated GPU of 2013.

Screen_Shot_9.jpg

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte B365M H
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
One thing I keep thinking about but nobody really has the explanation: If Intel CPUs are that problematic, why hasn’t Apple considered AMD Ryzen? Unless Apple Silicon chips are even more powerful than Ryzen...
Uhmmm...I think Apple wants to control every piece of its products and gets the maximum profit, that's all (IMO).Am I frightened of Apple making its own processors? No. Am I frightened of my Hackintosh not working after many years of support by Apple Intel machines sold right now? No.
So let's wait for the community to make "Magic" and make Big Sur to work on our machines.
I have two Apple's machines marked by Apple as "obsolete", an iMac late 2009 27 inches and a MBP mid 2010 and both are running Catalina 10.5.5 (thanks DosDude1 :thumbup::clap: ) and I am very happy with them.
Don't worry about Apple's new movement, we have Hackintosh for years...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
GT 710

Probably because it's not about CPU power but control over its chips and therefore the bussiness

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
When will it be possible to install macOS Big Sur?
You can sign up for the public beta that comes out sometime in July. Then download and install it as a tryout.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
ASUS Z490-G Gaming (Wi-Fi) - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i3-10320
Graphics
RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Any one tried to installing macOS 11, instead of talking about how mr.coooook went south in a big way.

Discussion of the Developer Beta of Big Sur is not permitted on the forums due to Apple's NDAs. Any such conversations will be removed.

However when the Public Beta is released next month then we can start discussing it in detail.

:)

Motherboard
lenovo
CPU
intel I5 4200U
Graphics
Intel
good system, nice style... good activity

Status
Not open for further replies.