Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL @ people saying return a newly bought Mac and people being negative.

I think this move is great. Intel hasn't been delivering and they've had plenty of problems and are behind schedule.

I remember when the move to Intel from PPC first happened, and that was a good thing too.

Power PC was supported for about 8 years after the move to Intel was announced, so Intel Macs should be supported for around the same time, if we look at the past, which means 2028. LOL @ anybody getting all panicky.

And even then, Intel Macs will still work fine. I still have a Power Mac G4 from 2001 that still runs good and works fine to this day.

I think that Apple will be able to deliver some powerful chips and in a few years time we will see how everything turned out after everything rolls out.

My current hackintosh was built about 2 years ago and no matter what happens, it'll continue to run great for many, many years.

Maybe I'll buy myself an Apple Slicon Mac in the future sometime, if Apple manages to impress me, and they do have a good track record of doing that. All of my old machines will continue to work fine, and I'm not worried about anything at all.

Last edited:
I'm really curious to see what a brilliant solution Apple will have found for those like me, on the screen of the new iMac touch ...:rolleyes:

I'm not interested in any touch Mac. I've got iPads and iPhones for that.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I can't imagine wanting to reach out to touch a large monitor in front of me. It sounds very tiring for the arms to use.

PowerPC Macs became outdated when Snow Leopard was announced. Only 3 years from the beginning of the transition.
My 2.7 GHz liquid-cooled PPC G5 runs Tiger 10.4.11, the last Mac OS capable of running both OS X and 9.22 (via Classic). It still works... (I did have to tear it down and fix a leak.) Some old games have never been ported to the latest OS's. Sad... ever play "Obsidian?"

Power PC was supported for about 8 years after the move to Intel was announced, so Intel Macs should be supported for around the same time, if we look at the past, which means 2028. LOL @ anybody getting all panicky.
Snow Leopard in 2009 already abandoned booting on PowerPC.

Catalina didn't add any new features to make upgrading worthwhile for me and OS 11 looks like the most dismal "major macOS update" ever. Case in point, remember OS 9 to OS X? Completely different UI and architecture. It felt like a decade long leap in technology was happening.

OS 11 just looks like a more dumbed down version of a desktop OS, or an iOS release for Mac.

I had higher hopes for this update, and given the headache that usually accompanies updating a hackintosh, I think I'll stick with 10.14.6 for a while longer. Logic Pro has been the only thing keeping me here for years and if they ruin Logic the way they're ruining MacOS I'm gone.

Regarding ARM, we all saw this move coming and some of you act like entitled children. Apple has never cared about Intel support and as soon as something better comes along they're going to go in that direction.
I truly hope this isn't an end to hacktoshing, but if so it's been a great run (built my first hack in 2010 and my 2nd one last year). Maybe I'll have to eventually by a real Mac and Apple will get their way lol.

Regarding ARM, we all saw this move coming and some of you act like entitled children. Apple has never cared about Intel support and as soon as something better comes along they're going to go in that direction.
I truly hope this isn't an end to hacktoshing, but if so it's been a great run (built my first hack in 2010 and my 2nd one last year). Maybe I'll have to eventually by a real Mac and Apple will get their way lol.

I doubt Apple will entirely abandon x86 cpu support. AMD still beats Intel by large margin and there's AMD code in macOS so it's possible that Apple will switch from Intel to AMD in the near future for their high end desktops or server platforms.

I'm not interested in any touch Mac. I've got iPads and iPhones for that.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I can't imagine wanting to reach out to touch a large monitor in front of me. It sounds very tiring for the arms to use.

Imagine if they have not thought of a way not to tire their arms? :ugeek:
After the $1000 booth that made history, to recover, and this time we will see if they will make it pay or will be included in the price, the new iMac stand will be made so that we can put the screen in a position that we can write, draw and use our lazy hands above :yawn: but the problem of fingerprints on the screen remains ...:crazy:

I doubt Apple will entirely abandon x86 cpu support. AMD still beats Intel by large margin and there's AMD code in macOS so it's possible that Apple will switch from Intel to AMD in the near future for their high end desktops or server platforms.

Interesting point that nobody talks about anymore. What's about the AMD code found earlier this year?! :D Maybe fakenews or did anyone here saw this code live?

This is my 3rd major transition with Apple. I have been through them all. (yes I'm that old).
Only 3? You haven't been through them all! ;)

Apple II -> 68k Mac -> PPC -> Intel for me, so this would be my fourth (and other people might have gone through more.)

For me, each one has gotten easier for the following reasons (in no particular order):

(1) Storage has gotten bigger and faster, and more compatible. Removable storage? Many incompatible floppy disks -> zip disks -> CDs -> thumb drives. Bulk storage? Multi TB HDDs or 1 TB SSDs are under $100.

(2) Applications are more likely to be cross-platform or web based.

(3) Data formats have become more standardized. JPEGs from 20 years ago are still a perfectly valid way to store photos. PDFs should be readable (or translatable) for the foreseeable future, etc.

Basically, no more orphaned 5.25" floppy disks with files by some obscure Apple II program that only exists in virtualization under SheepShaver or the like.

That being said, each transition has some amount of friction and cost, which will vary for each user. I'll wait and see what Apple's offerings look like before deciding what to do. For me, most likely, that's either (again in no particular order): (1) Keep using my Hack (or a newer one) even if updates end; (2) buy a new Mac; (3) switch to Linux.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back