Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious, in which way Apple ruined the desktop experience? A part from the ‘look and feel’ point of view (that is a personal taste). What Apple done to ruin the desktop experience?
And in which way you are forced to move to windows or Linux? Why? If your programs run on MacOS, they will continue to run. If you like and use MacOS, you could still use and love it...
I think Apple done a good move, maybe others will do a move forwards.
Unfortunately often only a private and closed company could do a change of direction.
I always hoped that Linux would become a user desktop for all users, but the reality proves me wrong... too much religion wars... too much distros...
Spoiler alert: I am about to become a target ;))
I think the real problem here is that probably we cannot do hackintosh anymore. We have to face that the illegal way to use MacOS is over.
We have earned money without spending the money that Apple ask.
We have always got around the problem, now we are no longer allowed, that’s the problem!..
If money is the problem you could use Linux and its programs...

And now for those whose think MacPro will never exist due to the less power of the Arm processors:

P.S. Sorry for my bad English

This is my 3rd major transition with Apple. I have been through them all. (yes I'm that old). Apple's move to Apple Silicon was for a few major contributing reasons. All of which Apple has experience in the past. But let's start with some ideas that had absolutely NO effect on their decision: Us building hackintoshes. The number of hackintoshes that have been built, in my pure estimate, is so dwarfed by the total number of macOS systems sold by Apple that we have NO bearing on their decisions. Apple did their market research and came to the conclusion that the vast majority of their market can be served by the hardware specs that they sell. We are a niche bunch of macOS users that have very specific hardware needs/desires that widely differ from the vast majority of users. We are NOT their market. We never will be.

Apple's move from 68K to PPC was because of performance. Period. Motorola/IBM/Apple came up with the PPC to compete against the x86 on a cheaper scale. And for a while they did. Until they didn't. Steve Jobs famously stated that there would be a PPC capable of some speed in 1 year (I was at that WWDC). 1 Year later nothing. Apple does not like it when outsides force them to change plans. They had been compiling macOS on x86 for years just in case something like this happened. (Historical Note: Mac OS X came from OpenStep which ran on x64, Sun SPARC and HP systems. Triple Binary). The x86 Processors that Intel was getting ready to release were faster than the PPC's that they were using at the time. The stage was set for a change. That transition took a year to complete I think? Apple used Rosetta back then to dynamically recompile the PPC to x86 instructions to get us through the transition. Now life was pretty good for this entire period, generally. The hardware was becoming commodity. Apple was using industry standard parts. And then they disrupted the cell phone market with the iPhone......

Apple acquired PA Semiconductor to help them create their own chips. Optimized for iOS. They have spent 10 years hyper optimizing an ARM design for their use. It is arguably the fastest mobile processor around. They have complete control of the hardware and software stack for iOS. When you have that kind of control your gadgets tend to be well integrated. Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, AirPods, HomePod, U2 wireless chip. Apple vertically integrates all of those into a single product that Apple alone decides when to release. Again, Apple does not like it when outside companies influence their designs or timetables.

There used to be an annual conference called MacWorld (Also a magazine by the same name). It was every January. Apple was expected to launch products at that conference every year. Apple pulled out because that wasn't the time table that they wanted. They wanted to release on their schedule. Not someone else's time table.

I absolutely have to believe that Apple has been compiling and running macOS internally on their own Silicon ever since their first chip was released in an iPhone. Note that over the years of the iPhone launches that Phil Shiller will get up on stage and tout the performance of their chips. And in the last few years he started comparing their silicon to "Desktop Class" performance. Now add into that all the issues with Intel chips in the last few years (yield issues, process migration from 14 to 7nm, bugs in the Skylake chips) and the fact that if we look at some bench marks for the iPad Pro we can see a perfect storm of events. macOS is absolutely going to be as fast on Apple Silicon as on x86. There is no way Apple would release a first product that wasn't. That isn't their way. Again, Intel is holding back what they think they can to do with computers and they think that they can do it better. And I bet that their internal benchmarking says they can do it.

The really interesting part of this will be to see what Apple releases to compete with the current MacPro 28 Core. That is a hell of a scale up. But Ampere seems to be doing an 80 core ARM. The worlds fastest supercomputer in Japan runs ARM cpus. Hopefully this sheds some light on the history of Apple and their historical decisions and why those decisions were made.

Now, before anyone calls me an Apple fan boy or anything else just stop and breathe for a second. I'm facing the same issues that everyone else is. I used a 2009 MacPro 2xQuad for almost 10 years. I upgraded the hell of out that thing. Newer CPUs, SSDs, RAM, Video Card. I pushed it as long as I could. Waited through the trash can Mac Pro until they released the new Mac Pro. Faced with a $10K purchase I decided that I would never tap the potential of a MacPro so why am I going to pay that kind of Money. (I had purchased an iMac Pro for one of my engineers when they released because we need high core counts for our work. That was $8500 which was bad enough). I ended up having an engineer leave and that freed up his Windows Core i7-8700K machine. I created my first hackintosh and I'm very happy with the result. Everything works as it should. But now I am facing the same reality we all are in that I figure I have until 2025 when new macOS releases no longer support Intel. I could go another few years after that using what ever I have built at that point, but then my journey with Apple may come to an end. I'm a software developer full time and keeping up with the latest compiler versions is paramount. If my platform of choice can't do that then I have to move on.

Cheers All. Let's make the most of the next 5 years.

macOS has a 64 thread limit as of Catalina. You could shut off HT for the chip and just use 48 Real cores..
Those Apple Silicon Macs won’t run Catalina.

Craig Federighi confirms Apple Silicon Macs will not support booting other operating systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Apple Silicon Macs won’t run Catalina.
Right. I was stating to just be complete. If the OP was asking about running very high core count (greater than 32) on a current hackintosh then you face a choice. Either turn off HT or just deal with macOS 10.x not "seeing" all the Cores/Threads. I have not seen enough of the technical docs about macOS 11 to find out Big Sur's thread/core limitation. I'm not trying to predict anything.

Craig Federighi confirms Apple Silicon Macs will not support booting other operating systems.
I wonder how long it will take for a Linux distribution? Depending on how Apple locks down the boot loader it could be straightforward. Or not.

While Windows 10 is still with inconsistency and serious bugs as of version 2004.
I think that windows is going into a new era as well as macOS. I am sad to see Hackintoshing go as I still have neglected to get it running on my current machine. however, I will be excited to see if we can get ARM working with maybe a raspberry pi or something.

I hate to see the fingerprints on the screen, I can barely stand those on the iPad and as soon as my eye falls on the screen in off I can't resist without give it a pass with an optical cloth...:shifty:
Not to mention the phone I'm always rubbing on my stomach or thigh ...:silent:
I'm really curious to see what a brilliant solution Apple will have found for those like me, on the screen of the new iMac touch ...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back