Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Apple's move to replace Intel by its own ARM processors, does it mean the end of actual hackintoshes ?

By the way, anybody noticed or not why Safari's feature looks like Brave browser? Looks like they stole it.

so, finally, the fastest and final processor that we can run MacOS natively is intel core i9-10980xe ?

Why do you think 6 years?
When Apple went from PowerPC to Intel support for PowerPC was dropped after 3 years (with the exception of security patches).
Apple is known for long support, iOS 14 will be compatible with iPhone 6s (2015).
macOS 11 will be compatible with Mac Pro (2013) and MacBook Air (2013).
They released an intel 10th gen laptop this year, which almost surely will be supported for at least 6 years.

i don’t see any imac pro or at least the mac pro running on a arm cpu, they are simply not powerful enough, i think the switch to arm is only on their laptops, because those macs are basically as powerful as an iphone or an ipad, i think the worse that can happen is that apple switches the mac pro to amd, which it can be considered a good thing for many amd fans, but then again i think that will not happen at least any time soon, because there will be way too much trouble with the code, they already have the arm transiction to deal with, my best guess is that at least the mac pro will stay with intel and that is good news, as long as we have a mac pro then we should have hackintosh and even after the last intel mac pro then we should have at least another 5 years after that

so no need to worry, worry only after the change the cpu on the mac pro

Last edited:
i don’t see any imac pro or at least the mac pro running on a arm cpu, they are simply not powerful enough, i think the switch to arm is only the their laptop, because those macs are basically as powerful as an iphone or an ipad, i think the worse that can happen is that apple switches the mac pro to amd, which it can be considered a good thing for many amd fans, but then again i think that will not happen at least any time soon, because there will be way too much trouble with the code, they already have the arm transiction, my best guess is that at least the mac pro will stay with intel and that is good news, as long as we have a mac pro then we should have hackintosh and even after the last intelmac pro then we should have at least another 5 years after that

so no need to worry, worry only after the change the cpu on the mac pro

This guy understands it!

Bye bye laptophacks in a few years time, but i mean they haven’t been running that super well anyway have they?

MacPro will most likely not contain an arm cpu, as long as they don’t pay intel or amd to manufacture it for them.

One thing that really desturbs me though is the software makers lack of support for older macos versions, i would love to still use Mojave for 10 years more.

altough catalina with crossover for my 32bit apps is a fine workaround

Hooray, finally the promise of a desktop that is a worthy successor to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes

300px-AcornArchimedes-Wiki.jpg

I owned bought a PowerPC Laptop the year before the Intel annoucement. I got good use out of it, and when finally OS support stopped for it, it was still useable in 2010. I also had a 32Bit Intel that was only available for a year that was superseded by the Core Due 2 (still useable for a good period of time). I do feel sorry that my 2012 2.6GHz MBP is not supported (which is odd as its a i7 and 16GB, but there is a post on this site that will probably help get Big Sur intel ed on that.). This newish i9 hackintosh will be supported wth Big Sur iMacPro Hack. And when we are done it will be a Linux workhorse for sure. (And dual boot windows for launching some games)

I do think that Intel might be on Apple's books for longer than the PowerPC conversion. PowerPC was really getting underpowered and tired as 32bit architecture back then. The G5 was desktop only... and Apple had not a laptop CPU to turn too. Intel Chipsets still have core numbers and power to satisfy users, so no need to completely abandon it. Intel might need to be more aggressive on their pricing though!

Anyway... An based ARM desktop built for Performance.... Let's see what it can do!

For the moment mac pro 5.1 is not compatible... :thumbdown

This guy understands it!

Bye bye laptophacks in a few years time, but i mean they haven’t been running that super well anyway have they?

MacPro will most likely not contain an arm cpu, as long as they don’t pay intel or amd to manufacture it for them.

One thing that really desturbs me though is the software makers lack of support for older macos versions, i would love to still use Mojave for 10 years more.

altough catalina with crossover for my 32bit apps is a fine workaround

I do believe you BOTH misunderstand.

It was stated that their entire lineup would transition within the next couple of years. Sorry, but while the pro models will more than likely be the last to move to ARM, they will move indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back