Contribute
Register

Apple Previews iMac Pro: The Fastest Mac Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
intel i9 + x299 !!!!!

What I find strange is that these iMac Pros only support up to 18 cores which leads me to believe that they will be using Xeon E5 V3 (which has a maximum core count of 18). I can't think of a reason for using Xeon E5 V4 and not offering the 22 core highest CPU other than thermal limitation of the iMac being AIO. That being said a V4 22 core CPU does not produce much more heat (to my knowledge) than a 18 core V4. Another reason could that they want to save the higher 22 core CPU for the upcoming Mac Pro.

If they're using V3 Xeons then this is a really let down from Apple using 3 year old hardware in a new product.

Anyone notice that the new MacBook pros on the apple store only top out at 16 GB RAM? I thought people said 32gb was coming with the additions of kaby lake (which itself is now already obsolete).

What about the cool new full sized wireless keyboard?.... Not much mention of that other than the picture. Also, mention of 50% faster SSD's - hoping to get benchmarks on these when available.

Attachments

• new_2017_imac_pro_accessories.jpg
    new_2017_imac_pro_accessories.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 198
RX cards are supported in Sierra as well. The new MBPs are built on Polaris. RX480s are working really well with Sierra.

I know, I've been using rx460 and rx480 since September, but more support or dedicated graphics support would be nice ie.. UEFI drivers. Maybe with x299 boards or equivalent there will be a UEFI support because there probably won't be any igpu involved.

I know, I've been using rx460 and rx480 since September, but more support or dedicated graphics support would be nice ie.. UEFI drivers. Maybe with x299 boards or equivalent there will be a UEFI support because there probably won't be any igpu involved.

I'd love to see that at some point. My current PC is getting a bit old and I'm really looking forward to building a new one in the near future. I was hoping for Kaby Lake support in this keynote and looks like Apple is doing it. Time to pick the parts and get them ready for High Sierra.

Does the eGPU support mean that RX 580 will be working OOB? When and how can we find out?

The egpu on a MacBook still has internal graphics as well. The X299 support is the key if they get rid of AppleEFI for graphics and switch to industry standard UEFI then we will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back