Contribute
Register

Apple M2 CPU, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro at WWDC22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I'd have an M2 MacBook Pro at the drop of a hat. I'd use it and enjoy it and wouldn't try to break it.

If I wanted to render 8k Pro-Res video I'd do what any self-respecting Professional would do and buy a MacPro, Mac Studio or build a stonking great Hackintosh.

If I wanted to render 8k Pro-Res video I'd do what any self-respecting Professional would do and buy a MacPro, Mac Studio or build a stonking great Hackintosh.
Exactly. Anyone shooting 8K video and working with it will at least have a Mac Studio with a cooling system that won't break a sweat for these kinds of tasks. So it's really just the MaxTech people trying to attract attention to their channel and get more views to make more YT $$$

Yes, the Intel based MBPs would thermal throttle all the time doing much less stressful things than rendering 8K raw footage with luts applied. That's why those were not good for replacing a desktop Mac. Any small laptop with one small cooling fan is going to start getting too hot when pushed in an extreme way.

Look, I'd have an M2 MacBook Pro at the drop of a hat. I'd use it and enjoy it and wouldn't try to break it.

Exactly. Anyone shooting 8K video and working with it will at least have a Mac Studio with a cooling system that won't break a sweat for these kinds of tasks. So it's really just the MaxTech people trying to attract attention to their channel and get more views to make more YT $$$

Yes, the Intel based MBPs would thermal throttle all the time doing much less stressful things than rendering 8K raw footage with luts applied. That's why those were not good for replacing a desktop Mac. Any small laptop with one small cooling fan is going to start getting too hot when pushed in an extreme way.

Yup. I would also have no problems with purchasing an M2 MacBook Pro. I'd only lean towards the M2 MacBook Air because it has MagSafe and I like passive cooling.

The 8K videos that those guys are trying to render requires a camera that costs 3x more (price of lenses not included) to shoot than the base M2 MacBook Pro they were testing. Lol. If you can afford that camera, odds are that you can probably afford a proper computer to render the videos from it.

Very informative video:

Here's my last post on the M2 MBA controversy. Yes, it could have better cooling so power users could get more performance. That's non-arguable. The main problem though is the base model specs. This Youtuber sums it all up. Apple raised the price $200 and kept the ram at 8GB and storage at 256GB. Completely unacceptable in 2022. To add insult to injury, they then charge the customer an extra 400 USD to upgrade to 16GB/512GB. Crazy.

If the next M3 version ships with 16GB and a 512GB SSD in the base model, I'll be buying one for sure. My aging laptop needs an upgrade pretty soon.

Here's some performance gains when the Air has 16GB of ram to work with instead of the base model's 8GB.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my last post on the M2 MBA controversy. Yes, it could have better cooling so power users could get more performance. That's non-arguable. The main problem though is the base model specs. This Youtuber sums it all up. Apple raised the price $200 and kept the ram at 8GB and storage at 256GB. Completely unacceptable in 2022. To add insult to injury, they then charge the customer an extra 400 USD to upgrade to 16GB/512GB. Crazy.

If the next M3 version ships with 16GB and a 512GB SSD in the base model, I'll be buying one for sure. My aging laptop needs an upgrade pretty soon.

Here's some performance gains when the Air has 16GB of ram to work with instead of the base model's 8GB.

View attachment 552312

I think a lot of YouTubers need to take blame for saying 8GB of RAM was fine for the first M1s. 8GB hasn't been fine in a long time. It's also responsible for the high swap memory causing extreme SSD wear that some users have reported.

They finally realized the consequences of too much swapping with the lower performance of the single NAND SSD. When SSD is extremely fast, it can help mitigate some of the impact of swap memory.

As for the SoC throttling, I feel the M2s are behaving as intended. Any CPU or GPU will throttle when they reach certain thresholds in heat, even Intel and AMD CPUs. It's up to the designers of the laptops to decide what they feel is the acceptable compromise in size, heat dissipation, battery life, throttling points. Those who don't want any throttling, should look towards Mac minis or Mac Studios where Apple didn't have to make compromises and there's ample cooling.

Someone needs to start a change.org petition or something to push Apple to standardize on 16GB base RAM across all Macs.

I think a lot of YouTubers need to take blame for saying 8GB of RAM was fine for the first M1s. 8GB hasn't been fine in a long time. It's also responsible for the high swap memory causing extreme SSD wear that some users have reported.

They finally realized the consequences of too much swapping with the lower performance of the single NAND SSD. When SSD is extremely fast, it can help mitigate some of the impact of swap memory.

As for the SoC throttling, I feel the M2s are behaving as intended. Any CPU or GPU will throttle when they reach certain thresholds in heat, even Intel and AMD CPUs. It's up to the designers of the laptops to decide what they feel is the acceptable compromise in size, heat dissipation, battery life, throttling points. Those who don't want any throttling, should look towards Mac minis or Mac Studios where Apple didn't have to make compromises and there's ample cooling.

Someone needs to start a change.org petition or something to push Apple to standardize on 16GB base RAM across all Macs.
Send an email to Tim, explain 8GB is just so a decade ago and we demand more!, we've cottoned on to your ruse and we ain't taking it anymore.

Send an email to Tim, explain 8GB is just so a decade ago and we demand more!
At the very least, Mr. Cook could lower the ram and SSD upgrade prices to $50 dollars each instead of the lofty $200 asking price for each. $200 for an extra 8GB of ram that may only cost them ten dollars or less ? Then, if some people that only use the Air for web surfing and video watching want the low spec 8/256GB models they can have that. Without penalizing people that want to use the Air to get real work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back