Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
su.jpg
Apple has just released a special 10.8.2 Update called OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012), Mac mini (Late 2012). We'll be poking around it to figure out if it includes special new drivers for the fusion drive or any different or new graphics drivers.
update.png
Apple has provided the following details:

"This update is recommended for all 13” MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012) and Mac mini (Late 2012) systems. It includes all features and updates from OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 plus system-specific enhancements and fixes for Late 2012 systems."

Download: OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012), Mac mini (Late 2012)

Version:
Post Date: Oct 24, 2012
Download ID: DL1603
License: Update
File Size: 654.49 MB
System Requirements: OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.1

Apple has historically shipped these types of updates for new models only, so any use of this update is experimental. This time we're anticipating some changes for users with 7-series motherboards and SSDs. Any special features are added to the general build eventually, in the form of a 10.8.3 update. We'll report any significant changes. If you end up testing, let us know in the comments!

Related:
Geekbench Scores Appear for Ivy Bridge Mac mini
Apple's New iMacs Have Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs
Apple's New 2012 Mac Lineup Compared
Watch Today's Apple Event Live on any Mac, iOS Device, or Apple TV!

Last edited by a moderator:
Article: Apple Issues Special OS X 10.8.2 Update for New Macs

More details:

New features include:

Facebook
  • Single sign on for Facebook
  • Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
  • Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
  • Facebook notifications in Notification Center

Game Center
  • Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages
  • Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
  • Facebook Like button for games
  • Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement
  • Other new features
  • Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
  • iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
  • From Safari and Mail on your Mac you can add passes to Passbook on your iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 6
  • New shared Reminders lists
  • FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number
  • New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
  • Dictation now supports Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
  • The Dictionary application now includes a French definition dictionary
  • Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts

This update also includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, including the following fixes:
  • An option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save As
  • Unsent drafts are opened automatically when launching Mail
  • Receive Twitter notifications for mentions and replies from anyone
  • URLs are shortened when sending tweets from Notification Center
  • Notifications are disabled when AirPlay Mirroring is being used
  • SSL support for Google searches from the Smart Search Field in Safari
  • New preference to have Safari launch with previously open webpages
  • Graphics performance and reliability enhancements
  • USB 3 reliability enhancements

I can't update !! '' not for this system'' my system definition is imac 12.1,how i can update?

You'll most likely need a modified smbios.plist to include iMac13,1 iMac13,2 Macmini6,1 or Macmini6,2 to install.

@boje Why don't you check out the related article links tonymacx86 wisely posted, I have a feeling it might have the information you seek. =)

I was able to load this update by changing the profile to a macmini6,2, App Store found the update which only ran when I downloaded that app directly from Apple.

It killed the trim support and audio, but that was fixed quickly by reapplying the fixes from Multibeast 5.1.2. Otherwise I noticed it loads osx slightly quicker, I see nothing in the disk utility that is different.

I then reverted the OSX personality to MacPro3,1 and am seeing Geekbench scores of 16333

Booting is using UEFI Clover version but Chameleon offers similar but slightly lower geekbench

Thanks TM for the info

Attachments

• ATM.tiff
    43.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Geek.tiff
    460.3 KB · Views: 250

I was able to load this update by changing the profile to a macmini6,2, App Store found the update which only ran when I downloaded that app directly from Apple.

It killed the trim support and audio, but that was fixed quickly by reapplying the fixes from Multibeast 5.1.2. Otherwise I noticed it loads osx slightly quicker, I see nothing in the disk utility that is different.

I then reverted the OSX personality to MacPro3,1 and am seeing Geekbench scores of 16333

Booting is using UEFI Clover version but Chameleon offers similar but slightly lower geekbench

Thanks TM for the info

That is great to hear- no separate download required- and such a simple fix to the smbios.plist! :thumbup: :headbang:

You'll most likely need a modified smbios.plist to include iMac13,1 iMac13,2 Macmini6,1 or Macmini6,2 to install.
I updated my smbios.plist to iMac 13,2 and that appears under model identifier on System Report.
However, the About this Mac icon still shows iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011.
Is there another file where I need to change over to iMac 13,2?
I downloaded the Special Update file and it does not let me install it.

Thanks TM for the info

I wonder if you then tell it to download Mountain Lion if it gives you a different build of the full installer for 10.8.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back