Contribute
Register

Apple IR USB Header

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these parts 922-7195, 922-8355 still compatible with Mavericks? Any thoughts?

My IR board (out of a 2006 iMac) is still working with Mavericks.
Also, a MacBook Pro IR board installed in my MacBook Pro works just fine in Mavericks.

Since all you're doing is re-wiring a USB connection, I see no reason why one wouldn't work (unless something got fried).

My IR board (out of a 2006 iMac) is still working with Mavericks.
Also, a MacBook Pro IR board installed in my MacBook Pro works just fine in Mavericks.

Since all you're doing is re-wiring a USB connection, I see no reason why one wouldn't work (unless something got fried).

Thx for the reply, have made an order, will wire it together when shipped.

did not work the re-wiring to a USB cable, I am getting usb device over current ... first i thought it is because of the bad cabling, then I cut two more usb cable, the end-result being the same. Soldering it to a USB hub (on the circuit board) did solve the problem, now I just need to find a place where I can solder it inside my chassis.

i didn't bother taking the header connector off the other end of the extension, just shoved the pins from the infrared connector in it as deep as it could go and left it at that. works a treat

Thanks for this! Made one today, works great! Stuck the parts inside an old usb flash drive, and drilled a small hole in the casing for the ir sensor to see out of, showed up right away. So now it's like a USB IR sensor stick that I can bring around w me :thumbup:

I was curious if there was anyway to tweak the old mbp cam components like this???

Great mod!

Thanks for this! Made one today, works great! Stuck the parts inside an old usb flash drive, and drilled a small hole in the casing for the ir sensor to see out of, showed up right away. So now it's like a USB IR sensor stick that I can bring around w me :thumbup:

I was curious if there was anyway to tweak the old mbp cam components like this???

Great mod!

Nice going!

If you mean the pre-unibody MacBook Pros, the iSight camera is on the USB bus. From personal experience, the cables going to the cameras themselves are not the same across all the different MacBook Pro variants (at the very least, the A1211 (2006 Core 2 Duo) and A1260 (Early 2008 Core 2 Duo) have different cabling).
This Macrumors page (that's a link) has pictures that match the A1260 I took apart, and there's a proposed pinout at the bottom. Unfortunately, I haven't tried wiring the webcam up yet, as I was attempting to use the iSight USB connection on the MacBook to add another USB device (it didn't work).
The fellow who posted the pinout said it worked for him, so...
Good luck!

I can say for sure that the tiny wires in the cabling are absurdly small, with layers upon layers upon layers of shielding in an already-miniscule cable, and it is non-trivial to solder them to anything.

Nice going!

If you mean the pre-unibody MacBook Pros, the iSight camera is on the USB bus. From personal experience, the cables going to the cameras themselves are not the same across all the different MacBook Pro variants (at the very least, the A1211 (2006 Core 2 Duo) and A1260 (Early 2008 Core 2 Duo) have different cabling).
This Macrumors page (that's a link) has pictures that match the A1260 I took apart, and there's a proposed pinout at the bottom. Unfortunately, I haven't tried wiring the webcam up yet, as I was attempting to use the iSight USB connection on the MacBook to add another USB device (it didn't work).
The fellow who posted the pinout said it worked for him, so...
Good luck!

I can say for sure that the tiny wires in the cabling are absurdly small, with layers upon layers upon layers of shielding in an already-miniscule cable, and it is non-trivial to solder them to anything.

So awesome man, and again thanks so much! I can't wait to try this. I'll report back if anything comes of it!

Hey Guys, is the IR receiver working for you in Yosemite?
Mine is recognized in system profiler, but the remote has no effect on it (Sofa Control)
:/

edit/update: nevermind, just found out that while Sofa Control doesn't work, Remote Buddy is doing just fine under yosemite. The hack still works.

can anyone help me?I want to buy a receiver that even used to put into my "Hack". But I live in Brazil and I find nothing on ebay.

Just posting again for the record. I have this working on 10.8.5 using IR Board 922-9146, which seems to be easy to come by (mine was $3 but with $11 shipping to the EU... so I bought 3). It worked for me using the pinout in this post. I had to fiddle around with the USB settings in the BIOS to get it to show up (XHCI Handoff, EHCI Handoff, Port 60/64 Emulation all -> Disabled; USB 2.0 Controller -> Enabled) but after that it's working perfectly and shows up in system profiler.

I am ready to update my H77n-WIFI system to Yosemite + Clover as soon as I find some free time :D Will report again afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back