Contribute
Register

Apple IR USB Header

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I have an apple IR model no. 820-1935A pulled from an iMac 17" Early 2006.
It has the followings wires:
Pin 1: Brown (mark with > in board)
Pin 2: Grey
Pin 3: Purple
Pin 4: Black
I suppose that Pin 4 Black is ground.
But the others :rolleyes:
Anybody has experience with this IR?
Here a photo:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you santitf!

I got an 820-1935A from ebay for 8€.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7554/appleir.jpg

Pin 1: Brown (D-) -> USB white
Pin 2: Gray (D+) -> USB green
Pin 3: Purple (+5V) -> USB red
Pin 4: Black (GND) -> USB black

Works fine on 10.8.1

I am getting some very strange behavior and was wondering if anyone else had similar problems or knows of a solution?

I put my computer to sleep with the mouse - fine
Wake up using the mouse - fine (Bluetooth).

I put my computer to sleep with the remote - fine.
Wake using the remote - fine.

Now the remote will no longer send the computer to sleep

If I then use my mouse to put my computer to sleep the computer will wake up again after about 3 seconds on its own

I am getting some very strange behavior and was wondering if anyone else had similar problems or knows of a solution?

I put my computer to sleep with the mouse - fine
Wake up using the mouse - fine (Bluetooth).

I put my computer to sleep with the remote - fine.
Wake using the remote - fine.

Now the remote will no longer send the computer to sleep

If I then use my mouse to put my computer to sleep the computer will wake up again after about 3 seconds on its own

Fixed - was due to an issue with my USBs unmounting after sleep

Ummm, if one was to accidentally connect the IR board to the USB header backwards, would that fry the IR board?

Just for the sake of example of course...

Am i too late to the party? :)
Ordered the 922-7195 board from powerbookmedic and installed the IR board directly to the mb using a usb header
Everything up an running within 10 minutes!

WbPZ6CLh.jpg

1mr5tQK.jpg

WSUE8xg.jpg

jVtETs6.jpg

66LHuPM.jpg

I have now made a few of these myself. For those of you who are unaware:

BetterTouchTool is free and has an "apple remote plugin" that can take control of the apple ir receiver and do anything you wish in respond to key-presses, like run applescripts or perform a variety of builtin actions. And it can create a different profile for every application, responding differently depending on what application is in the foreground.

Remote Buddy is not free, but it does the same thing, with one additional feature. It can create different profiles for different apple remote IDs. In this way, you can teach signals from an apple remote to any learning universal remote, changing the apple remote's device ID each time you use up all of its the distinct signals. Remote Buddy can then receive distinct signals from as many keys as you have on your universal remote, responding in any way you choose to each key. Granted, this takes a good deal of time and effort to set up, but it can be worth it.

Personally, I use BetterTouchTool, and it suffices for all my purposes.

I've done the same thing. It works on 10.6.8 and 10.8.4, to the best of my knowledge.

The previous owner of my 2006 MacBook Pro 2,2 had upgraded the hard drive, but he'd also dinged the flex cable which runs over the hard drive in such a way that neither the IR sensor nor the "sleep" LED were recognized by the computer. When I had the laptop apart last time, I pulled the IR sensor out to see if it itself was still functional. I then soldered and shrink-tubed it up to a male USB connector:

IMG_0836.JPG

I plugged it in to check that it worked, and then I went looking for some case to put it in, since I wanted to use it on both my MacBook Pro and my Hackintosh.
A while ago, I'd gotten a first generation iPod Shuffle with a dead battery, which I'd tried to take apart. However, the flex cable on the USB wound up torn, so I had this fairly useless Shuffle sitting around. It's about the right size for the IR sensor to fit in comfortably.
After a bunch of superglue and craft knife work, I wound up with this:
IMG_0848.JPG

The USB connector is a tad crooked, but the cover still goes on.
Sorry for the lousy quality iPod Touch pictures...

Here is my Mod of it.

Parts used:
Apple IR MacBook Pro #922-7195, 922-8355 powerbookmedic.com 2.95$
Old External Microphone from a G3.
Halfrounded USB stick Cap.

Result

Thanks for the Article

Attachments

• bild5.jpg
    bild5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 342
  • bild3.jpg