Contribute
Register

Apple IR USB Header

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burninator I attempted to do the same thing with the IR component for a rev a macbook and had no luck. It seems the USB controller on those models is built into the logic board unlike the component being used which is a stand alone usb controller and IR board. I, after messing around for a while with it, just ordered the part online and got it wired up directly to a usb header on the motherboard without an issue. That allowed it to be run entirely inside of the case and not use one of the available external usb ports.

Am Yisrael Chai! said:
Great job! What was the total cost of the project?

I have all the parts / prices in the first few posts of this thread.

Hilbe, where exactly on the board is the IR detector? Is it the black ring? And your case shows it behind a metal case, does it still work? The case I am getting does not have much openings on the front and was curious how you had yours set up. I did see the pictures, but I am not sure I am understanding exactly how it was implemented. Thanks! :)

zionic said:
Hilbe, where exactly on the board is the IR detector? Is it the black ring? And your case shows it behind a metal case, does it still work? The case I am getting does not have much openings on the front and was curious how you had yours set up. I did see the pictures, but I am not sure I am understanding exactly how it was implemented. Thanks! :)

It is the little black dot. I have mine with that sideways vent of sorts. It works decently from the weird angle. I recommend you put it in a grill/case fan location if all possible.

tenthumbs said:
Does this mod allow wake from sleep with remote?

Yes sleep and wake using the apple remote does work. Shame my gfx card doesn't always rehandshake the tv over HDMI upon wake.

AaronE said:
tenthumbs said:
Does this mod allow wake from sleep with remote?

Yes sleep and wake using the apple remote does work.

Thanks, I'll be going for this mod then.

I did this hack in 10 minutes, works perfectly!

Bought an Apple remote and the IR part #922-7195 and it works. Next I'll be putting it in a better looking case.

The range is great and it actually behind me and works well. Great addition to the Hackintosh!

Great info! Thanks for posting!

I'll be ordering one of these today. I plan on turning my latest hackintosh into a media center box using plex so this will be great to use with my harmony remote. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back