Contribute
Register

Apple Introduces New MacBook Air and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @WonkeyDonkey, have you bought something already?? I mean, mobo. Cheers

Not yet, but unless there are any show-stoppers identified in the next month or so, I shall be going for the Asrock H170M one discussed earlier.

So far I'm thinking most of the external SSDs are useless because they are USB (no TRIM). I also don't really like the TB3 SSDs (e.g. Samsung X5), because they're hot and can't be upgraded. An M.2 to TB3 bridge is $170 and so it seems the best approach is to just buy a second TB3 enclosure (e.g. $200 Akitio node lite or a second Razer Core X) for the external SSD - which is what I've now done. This will keep the SSD cool and allow TRIM support.

Edit: My second Razer Core X arrived today. It was sold out everywhere but Razer.com had them in stock. My external SSD is hitting full speed. Having a Mac mini with two TB3 enclosures is fairly silly, but it definitely works really well. The Samsung X5 is basically the same thing with a 970 EVO inside.

Photos

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 10.17.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 10.16.53 AM.png

Nice!!

I also went with the rx580 instead of vega 64 because I'm just learning video editing and I have a separate gaming machine.

Yes the RX 580 is a good way to go. The RX 580 prices have been really nice lately.

So far I'm thinking most of the external SSDs are useless because they are USB (no TRIM). I also don't really like the TB3 SSDs (e.g. Samsung X5), because they're hot and can't be upgraded. An M.2 to TB3 bridge is $170 and so it seems the best approach is to just buy a second TB3 enclosure (e.g. $200 Akitio node lite or a second Razer Core X) for the external SSD - which is what I've now done. This will keep the SSD cool and allow TRIM support.

Edit: My second Razer Core X arrived today. It was sold out everywhere but Razer.com had them in stock. My external SSD is hitting full speed. Having a Mac mini with two TB3 enclosures is fairly silly, but it definitely works really well. The Samsung X5 is basically the same thing with a 970 EVO inside.
How is that you going to use the two TB3 enclosures again??

I don't want to sound like a shill, but I just picked up an upgrade to mini Hystou pc. for 600 dollars. i7-8550u 16gb of ram 256gb SSD all upgradeable. The new Mac mini has a eGPU support. But if I was going for that I'll take my Node 202 over it. It -does- fit in my backpack. A little snug though ;)

does it work? i just bought the hystou with 8550u and want to try this.

does it work? i just bought the hystou with 8550u and want to try this.
I haven't got around to installing macOS onto it yet. It's at my office. But I plan on it.
I have the previous 7500u model running Mojave, though. I imagine the process is the same. The bios is totally unlocked with a bunch of vestigial settings that don't apply. It runs cool and hassle free. It's why I upgraded to it. After you replace the wifi card it's an excellent machine. If you want help I suggest opening a thread and we can collaborate there. Cheers

Though that Apple T2 Security chip worries me, for us Hackintoshers going forward. What else could it be used for?
:)

I completely agree. When these big corporations say "security", they mean THEY are forcing you to sacrifice your freedom to do what you want to do with your machine... And, in the process, pay to ensure THEIR bottom line.

Basically, the specs look good for a mini. But, I just ran a cost-to-feature comparison. And, I can build a Mini iTX system to match the upper specs of the mini... for about $750USD [EDIT: oops! Forgot the processor so... @$1000USD with i5-8600K]. To me, a hackintosh will be good for a VERY long time at those prices.

Anyone get a 8th gen SMC out this machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back