Contribute
Register

Apple Introduces New MacBook Air and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
For every person who doesn't know how to upgrade RAM, there are a dozen YouTube videos that show how to do it. If not one upgraded RAM themselves, no one would sell RAM modules.
I agree, and as a former computer technician (now a housewife and mother of 2) I had a lot of these folks coming to me for such upgrades. Parts and labor still cost less than what Apple is charging.

I hear you. I did the same for very similar reasons. But you can't knock the Mac Mini for not being what it wan't meant to be.

Absolutely, the Mac Mini seams to be a great computer! But just not for me :)

The next iMacs will likely have the 9900k (and lower), so get that....

Apple doesn't cater to the middle ground of computing, Mac mini is the only affordable headless desktop Mac you can get and I'm glad they didn't just discontinue it.
Totally agree here as well. If I would have spare 5000$ (and more money to replace my Audio Interface), I would just get an iMacPro to see how it works, and I am sure it would be an awesome experience. Donations are welcome :ugeek:

Then I switched to a 2x2 configuration (effectively 8K resolution). All displays are identical 27” 4k. They are each angled slightly toward the center.

For the 2x2 config I bought two different monitor stands from Planar because they're the BEST! But their big stand is too tall (I just use the arms. Beware the big stand's vesa mounts block ports on my LG monitors) and their small stand is too small (good height and good vesa mounts, but the arms are too short for 27" displays). I used parts from each 2x2 stand to build one perfect 2x2 stand.

I'll never go back.

Oh wow! Do you have a picture maybe? It sounds awesome, I never thought of 4 identical displays! Well, I have a lot of different displays already, so seems like that won't be a case for me in any near future, but the idea sounds really nice, especially when you have no displays and are about to buy. They are not so expensive these days, if we consider basic (not 4k) displays.

Last edited:
So the average price for a new Mac Mini is actually $1800. You walk into the Apple store to buy one. It needs a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The ones Apple recommends bring the price to $1800 plus tax. The old Hack looks better every day....
If you think that my Hackintosh video editing rig cost only €1300, and works better and faster, and you can upgrade, replace and repair everything, it makes you wonder what's the point?

I priced out what a new Mac Mini 8,1 equivalent build would cost me right now at current Newegg and Amazon prices. Figured in all shipping and taxes. For my personal situation, the build my own approach would be the better choice. Even without TH3 I could do everything I need to, including adding more internal storage and an RX 580 graphics card later on. Instead of using the Intel stock cooler, I would use my own Noctua cooler I already own. I even have the exact same Phanteks case already.

See the results here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-8-1-mac-mini-alternative-for-522-from-amazon-newegg.264334/

Each person considering a Mini or a custom build should weigh all the factors before buying. The only thing I'd really miss by not buying the Mini is the ultra small chassis. I'd gain all those LED lighting options with the custom build. Even though I'm not really into that.

While I can appreciate the Hackintosh, I no longer have time to mess with it. I am at the point with personal life and work life where I don't want to spend my spare time messing with my computers. The Mac mini announced today was refreshing to say the least.I'll probably buy a 6-core with the 512GB SSD and upgrade the RAM myself.

I'm with him on this, the true is that I got into Mac because of the hackintosh community, but then I got my self a 2011 MacBook Pro that still works, and I was waiting for something like this also because of the consistency getting all the apple services working each install. iMessenger always worked and airdrop almost always but the rest could never get them to work after Yosemite. I think and the truth is that for someone like me that like the apple ecosystem(not their prices, doh), they are very handy. So I will be ordering my self one of these, and keep my hackintosh of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back