Contribute
Register

Apple Introduces New MacBook Air and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the way Apple plans to win back hackintosh users from what I'm reading here. They are even taking trade ins of your older desktops, tablets, phones and watches to offset the cost of a new Mac Mini. It's a good idea, build something people actually want to buy and make it so they could reasonably afford it. The computers they take, desktops and laptops, can also be Windows machines, not just Macs. You may be able to do better selling it yourself but this is telling me they do still care about selling Macs. The original Mac Mini from 2005, which I bought, was also created to get Windows users to try a Mac instead.

If it's NOT Apple product they will take it for FREE LOL !! NO thanx apple i'll keep using it

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,067
if it's NOT Apple product they will take it for FREE LOL !! NO thanx apple i'll keep using it
What did you enter in an old desktop PC ?

They do take specific HP Spectres and Lenovo Yogas though.

Lenovo Yoga trade in value:

Screen Shot 10.jpg

anyone knows whether or not the new macbook air uses intel wifi?

I guess you can check at the store via system information. Otherwise wait for Ifixit teardown.

I think it's a really good solution. When the need arises, you can easily upgrade the GPU. When the CPU gets outdated, swap out the entire Mac Mini for the next model. It'll probably be more expensive than building a PC, but you get 100% compatibility and support. I think it's a fair trade off.

When I built my first hack, the reason I sold my Mac mini was it couldn’t handle quad displays. Today, I’m using quad 4k. Even now, Mac mini with an eGPU isn’t as appealing as a hackintosh because TB3 bottlenecks the GPU and the CPU (understandably) isn’t top tier.

I suppose I might grab a 2019 Mac Pro, but the price I’m assuming will be hard to justify for my needs.

Aside from needing to ditch Nvidia, hackintosh hasn’t really been a support challenge at all thanks to native hardware such as bcm94360cd, aquantia 10 gbe, RX 580, this web site, and recent builds of clover.

Maybe the T2 will be some incentive. I have real Macs too for laptops, but for desktop work I still really prefer a hackintosh.

Last edited:
When I built my first hack, the reason I sold my Mac mini was it couldn’t handle quad displays. Today, I’m using quad 4k. Even now, Mac mini with an eGPU isn’t as appealing as a hackintosh because TB3 bottlenecks the GPU and the CPU (understandably) isn’t top tier.

I suppose I might grab a 2019 Mac Pro, but the price I’m assuming will be hard to justify for my needs.

Aside from needing to ditch Nvidia, hackintosh hasn’t really been a support challenge at all thanks to native hardware such as bcm94360cd, aquantia 10 gbe, RX 580, this web site, and recent builds of clover.

Maybe the T2 will be some incentive. I have real Macs too for laptops, but for desktop work I still really prefer a hackintosh.

Yeah, T2 is definitely part of the equation for me at this point. I guess I'm just thinking ahead...

Probably not since the intel WiFi chipset support is for the z390 and 9th gen CPU systems. They went with 8th gen.

What do you like about the T2 chip may I ask? All I can see is the security of disabling the microphone on sleep; irrelevant to the mini and firevault encryption? For those who would use an eGPU, you would most likely (depending on card) need to disable secure boot to enable EFI booting from a USB.

What do you like about the T2 chip may I ask? All I can see is the security of disabling the microphone on sleep; irrelevant to the mini and firevault encryption? For those who would use an eGPU, you would most likely (depending on card) need to disable secure boot to enable EFI booting from a USB.

It's not so much that I "like" the T2. I "fear" the T2. Once all shipping Macs use T2, it's just a matter of time before it's something that will become mandatory for macOS to boot and PCs don't have a T2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back