Contribute
Register

Apple Introduces New MacBook Air and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
If hackintoshing didn't exist, I would probably go for a Mac Mini and stack it on top of an eGPU box.

View attachment 361644

Good, clear photo @pastrychef . The memory modules are indeed removable. :thumbup:

Agreed, the new Mac mini suddenly becomes the new go-for model in the Apple range. Who would have expected that?

Edit: And it's just occurred to me seeing that photo ... Is the cooling fan and heatsink now incorporated into the base plate? Looks like it's been removed to get a view of the other components. Also think maybe the RAM modules now take up SATA drive space.

:)

The video from the event
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2018/
... says that the base model is

8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and 3.6 GHz quad core, Core i3 CPU. (Must be the Core i3-8100).

Given this information, you could build a similarly spec'd hackintosh for about 500, but it would not have the same form factor.

Of course, you will have to pay the Apple Tax to bump up the RAM, disk and processor.

I was prepared to be disgusted, but I am impressed with the base model.

£800 for a base model.... no thanks :lol:

• 3.6GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i3 processor
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 128GB PCIe-based SSD storage

Though that Apple T2 Security chip worries me, for us Hackintoshers going forward. What else could it be used for?

:)
One of the functions of the T2 chip is HVEC encoding and the new one in the mini is supposed to be 30x faster than the previous.
That's should be worrying for GPU makers and Intel (nevermind hackintoshers).

Should we (the mackintosh community) be afraid of the T2 chips?

The last devices without are iMac (which will probably be updated with them sooner rather than later).

I like the mac mini I want to see comparable Hackintoshes prices ... I'll get to it myself

Won't the t2 chip stop us from adding a cheaper second 8gig stick or replace both slots with 16gb?

Good news for Hackintoshers. The HDMI port is version 2.0 so we will have support now in 10.14.2
USB 3.1 Gen 2 support and 10 GbE support for networking. A big win for us.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
I just went to the apple store and played around configuring things.
I can configure a mini with the same CPU, RAM AND SSD as my hackintosh ... for 1900.

I just went to the apple store and played around configuring things.
I can configure a mini with the same CPU, RAM AND SSD as my hackintosh ... for 1900.
What was the total cost for your Z370 build ? I bet you don't have 4 working USB C TH3 ports that are hot pluggable. Can you throw your iTX system in a back pack and take it with you ? The new mini is also much more energy efficient too. So there are plusses and minuses for each one. Saving $1100 is nice too. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back