Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
mac-mini_top-down-isometric_10302018_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg
Today at their Fall Event in New York Apple updated the MacBook Air and Mac Mini. Both Macs received 8th generation Intel CPUs. The MacBook Air got a complete redesign with a retina display, better speakers, new keyboard and Thunderbolt 3 ports. It also comes in 3 different colors.
MacBook-Air-family-10302018_inline.jpg.large_2x.jpg
The Mac Mini, which had not been updated since 2014 was updated with space grey exterior, four Thunderbolt 3 ports, up to 64GB RAM (on removeable SO-DIMMs), up to 2TB solid state drive, HDMI port, and optional 10 Gigabit ethernet.
mac-mini_side-ports_10302018_inline.jpg.large_2x.jpg
What do you think of the new Macs?

Related:
Apple Special Event Scheduled for October 30th

> What do you think of the new Macs?

Depends. Are they soldering the RAM and drives in these?
Have they made them impossible for consumers to upgrade / repair?

Last edited:
> What do you think of the new Macs?

Depends. Are they soldering the RAM and drives in these?
Have they made them impossible for consumers to upgrade / repair?

We know they're using removeable/upgradeable SO-DIMMs for RAM, but the SSD is likely to be soldered in.

My config was half the prince of the Mac Mini and I have a dedicated GPU (GTX 1070). The Mini isn't viable compared to a Hackintosh, but the Air looks interesting, even though they raised the price... again.

Glad they didn't mess with the form factor.

How many watts will the chips put out? Heat is an issue on these.
Hope they improved the airflow.

Wish it had more than 2 total USB 3.0 ports.

Can a consumer add a 2nd internal SATA3 hard-drive?

The base mac mini model is $800. That is actually not bad, for an Apple.
My simple hackintosh cost about that much.
Guess I am impressed.

Wonder what the base mini will include, in terms of CPU, RAM, disk?

Waiting to see the details on 11/7.

Today at their Fall Event in New York Apple updated the MacBook Air and Mac Mini. Both Macs received 8th generation Intel CPUs. The MacBook Air got a complete redesign with a retina display, better speakers, new keyboard and Thunderbolt 3 ports. It also comes in 3 different colors.
The Mac Mini, which had not been updated since 2014 was updated with space grey exterior, four Thunderbolt 3 ports, up to 64GB RAM (on removeable SO-DIMMs), up to 2TB solid state drive, HDMI port, and optional 10 Gigabit ethernet.
What do you think of the new Macs?

Related:
Apple Special Event Scheduled for October 30th

Well I for one like the new Mac mini, if not the price. (in the UK with our VAT at 20% the price is :eek: )

The engineering looks good though - but only two USB 3.0 ports means an adapter or two will be needed for the USB-C/Thunderbolts. If memory is once again user-upgradable that's a bonus.

The SSD might be soldered in but it will be small, unlike a SATA unit, so that hints at more space free inside the box. For what?
Expansion? And what happens when it eventually stops working?

The basic model running quad-core at 3.6ghz looks good to me too.

Though that Apple T2 Security chip worries me, for us Hackintoshers going forward. What else could it be used for?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back