Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just a post to report success on finally getting my two 27" iMac's working with my hack, and the solution couldn't have been simpler...... an Apple ATI HD5770 card.

I'm currently basking in the glory of 2 x 27" monitors, all 7,375,800 pixels!

Using Hoolock framebuffer.

I haven't tried the DVI port yet, but I will in the coming days.

I have just tested the DVI port and it also works as I expected at the same time as both mini displayports.

eelhead said:
you need :cool: or you'll burn your eyes out :lol:

Tell me about it ;)

Running Pro Tools 9 across these 2 monitors and video out via my Intensity Pro to a 32" TV....... Amazing :headbang:

The 23" monitor I used to check the DVI port seems TINY now.

salty dog said:
Just a post to report success on finally getting my two 27" iMac's working with my hack, and the solution couldn't have been simpler...... an Apple ATI HD5770 card.

I'm currently basking in the glory of 2 x 27" monitors, all 7,375,800 pixels!

Using Hoolock framebuffer.

I haven't tried the DVI port yet, but I will in the coming days.

Did you just drop the card in or did you need to flash the firmware?

Cheers

Steve

Just dropped it in and it worked first time, though on first first reboot my system started in 32bit rather than 64bit. I just re-ran multibeast to set to boot in 64bit.

Two problems I have for the card is that it runs really hot in OSX, it runs much cooler in Windows and trying to run the card in crossfire with another 5770 in Windows cause blue screen.

salty dog said:
Just dropped it in and it worked first time, though on first first reboot my system started in 32bit rather than 64bit. I just re-ran multibeast to set to boot in 64bit.

Two problems I have for the card is that it runs really hot in OSX, it runs much cooler in Windows and trying to run the card in crossfire with another 5770 in Windows cause blue screen.

Any update on this? I don't need the minidisplay port but can get this card for ~ $125.

Did you use graphics enabler at all or no? Just works?

cakemonster said:
salty dog said:

Any update on this? I don't need the minidisplay port but can get this card for ~ $125.

Did you use graphics enabler at all or no? Just works?

I do have Graphics Enabler set, but this is left over from my last card. I haven't bothered to change it as it's working just fine.

I have noticed that the card is now running a lot cooler. Not sure why but after having it running last night for several hours it much better than it was.

I tried your solution and mixed results so far.

Dual displays WORKS and the card is recognized oob. However, I was unable to get triple displays working (two DP->DVI adapted monitors and one Dual-Link DVI). When plugging in the two DisplayPorts, the DVI connector goes blank. Tested with a non DL-DVI and the problem persists. Two DisplayPorts in use seems to shut off the DVI port. Not sure if this is normal behavior.

Using GE=Yes and AtiConfig=Hoolock, DVD Player won't load.
Using GE=Yes and not injecting a framebuffer, Hoolock seems to auto load and work beautifully.

Were you able to somehow get all three ports working simultaneously? Let me know what you recommend. Thanks :)

I have successfully had 3 monitors running at the same time, 2 x mini displayport and 1 x DVI and it worked perfectly.

I haven't tried using mdp>dvi adapters as I have had no need to. I just now use GE= yes and don't inject Hoolock either as it loads automatically. Everything works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back