Contribute
Register

Apple has stopped providing standalone updaters in macOS Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.
you misunderstood me
you are taking it to the extreme

many mac users wait at least untill version .2 or .3 before moving to the next new version of mac os, just to avoid all the bugs that comes with a new os

this is the part that you don’t want to accep or understand

if this has always been the case about the full installer and applenever offered any smaller update with the option to update multiple macs then nobody has the right to say anything because it was always like that

but that is not the case, apple provided those updates and this new move is not better, is worse

idon’t know what’s the real reason behind this

but when you had something that worked for many years
to then change it for something that doesn’t work, you can’t expect users to be abit upset or dissapointed, why? because it doesn’t make things better, itmakes the worse, but apple expects every mac user to be millionaire and run fiber

this is very simple, sime people will not see anything negative about this chage, while others will, so i guess we both righ and both wrong

it just depends on thd way you see it

for me is a flaw in their software, they made so many changes and they broke something

I am not sure they broke anything this change was made based on the link a few pages back to prevent things from going wrong when doing the update because of the sealed volumes. A few extra gig download is hardly a need to justify fiber. Better? Worse? not really either just different, things change. I play world of warcraft, the wow forms are very toxic. People complain when ever something happens they do not like, I bet the same people complaining complain again when they end up getting their way. Apple made a choice to make your computer more secure some people are going to be happy others are not. This is a result of the sealed volume to make your system more secure!

What Apple is actually doing is uploading smaller updates, instead of big ones. The difference is they no-longer allow us to download manually and the old Library/Updates folder is no longer used to cache files.

This happening with iWork apps too.

This isn't speculation, it is what is happening.

The only "issue" is for people with many Macs or Hacks to update, or those who like to keep their own back-up library (me).

:)

It wasn't instability that kept me away from Windows. It was the UI and my lack of understanding of how Windows worked. I still don't have a grasp of what all those dll and IRQs mean.

I was far more comfortable with macOS. All I needed was Conflict Catcher to help me manage everything.
DLL or dynamic linked libraries files are shared library files for programs. IRQ are well the address of the hardware in your system and today are virtual more than they are physical like in the olden days.

pastrychef
you misunderstood me
you are taking it to the extreme

many mac users wait at least untill version .2 or .3 before moving to the next new version of mac os, just to avoid all the bugs that comes with a new os

others simply don’t care and jump to the ship at the first realease

this is the part that you don’t want to accept or understand

if this has always been the case about the full installer and apple never offered any smaller update with the option to update multiple macs then nobody has the right to say anything because it was always like that

but that is not the case, apple provided those updates and this new move is not better, is worse

i don’t know what’s the real reason behind this change

but when you had something that worked for many years
to then change it for something that doesn’t work, you can’t expect users to be a bit upset or dissapointed, why? because it doesn’t make things better, it makes them worse, but apple expects every mac user to be a millionaire and run fiber

this is very simple, some people will not see anything wrong about this chage, while others will, so i guess we both righ and both wrong

it just depends on the way you see it

for me is a flaw in their software, they made so many changes and they broke something

I never wait until .2 or .3. The way I see it, macOS 10.15.0 was an update over 10.14.5. I can't recall encountering any major debilitating bugs.

You don't understand that I don't care what others do. I want the latest and greatest and I have never had any issues doing so.

You still haven't told me what the difference is between a full macOS installer is compared to a Combo Update.

The reason is the file system.

Nobody expects you to have fiber, but access to some kind of broadband is a given nowadays, at least in developed countries. Again, if you are in an undeveloped country, you have other things to worry about like hunting for dinner.

This is not a matter of opinion. It's binary. Can you download once and update many Macs? Yes. So what's the gripe? It's much ado about nothing.

What is flaw? Please elaborate.

What Apple is actually doing is uploading smaller updates, instead of big ones. The difference is they no-longer allow us to download manually and the old Library/Updates folder is no longer used to cache files.

This happening with iWork apps too.

This isn't speculation, it is what is happening.

The only "issue" is for people with many Macs or Hacks to update, or those who like to keep their own back-up library (me).

What do you mean manually? And you can download the full installer for the OS once and install it on as many Mac/hacks as you like maybe not the apple silicon version I can't test that. In fact I did it tonight just to see. I downloaded Big Sur once, installed it on my wife's Catalina system, my 2018 Mac mini that was on 11.0.1 still, and a fresh install on my z370 HD3 system.

What do you mean manually?

I mean the 11.01 to 11.1 Big Sur update was 3.8GB. The full installer is approx 12GB.

You can no longer download Combo or simple updates for these point upgrades, that I'm aware of. Apple delivers them.

I mean the 11.01 to 11.1 Big Sur update was 3.8GB. The full installer is approx 12GB.

You can no longer download Combo or simple updates for these point upgrades, that I'm aware of. Apple delivers them.

The Combo Updates have always been a few gigabytes larger than the updates via App Store or System Preferences.

Right that I understood Yea you got to download the full 12GB I do not really see that as a problem few extra gigs here and there. Generally, I just start each download on each computer and walk away since OC works so well at selecting the correct choice. At the end of the cycle, I download the final update and commit it to an installer drive where I have the final install file from High Sierra - Catalina. I only added Big Sur today as a test. The full installer is pretty much the same as a combo update. The simple updates as you call them; I see as patches and security updates. Those are gone yes. I guess if I had 500 computers to update then it could be an issue but I would guess there are only a handful of companies that have that many. Apple being one, IBM being the other, and then you have the server farms.

Right that I understood Yea you got to download the full 12GB I do not really see that as a problem few extra gigs here and there. Generally, I just start each download on each computer and walk away since OC works so well at selecting the correct choice. At the end of the cycle, I download the final update and commit it to an installer drive where I have the final install file from High Sierra - Catalina. I only added Big Sur today as a test. The full installer is pretty much the same as a combo update. The simple updates as you call them; I see as patches and security updates. Those are gone yes. I guess if I had 500 computers to update then it could be an issue but I would guess there are only a handful of companies that have that many. Apple being one, IBM being the other, and then you have the server farms.

Hi.

My post was actually probably more pointed at Gogeta-Blue's arguments. Not your own :thumbup:.

I don't have any new problem, though I am a little disappointed I can no longer update my large Apple installers and Upgrades library. (You want an El Cap 1.11.2 combo updater? I've probably got it. An "002" Security Update. Yep. Though no longer needed I agree :lol:).

This is not because I'm clever or insightful, just that where I live Internet connections, historically, were very poor so I made arrangements to save my sanity.

Truth is Apple is trying to reduce download sizes. They've stated this officially. I like that.

This is not because I'm clever or insightful, just that where I live Internet connections, historically, were very poor so I made arrangements to save my sanity.

Yea I hear ya, because I live in CA I am a bit more cavalier with stuff I can easily download and even with backing up my system. The latter costing me around $3400 in 2019 due to a drive failure. I have since put many safe guards in place to prevent loss of data again at least when it comes to what I call my life’s work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back