Contribute
Register

Apple Graphics Power Management (Display Sleep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68MA-D2H-B3 (UEFI BIOS)
CPU
Intel Core i5 (2500K) 3.30 Ghz
Graphics
Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was wondering how many of you have this issue with AGPM enabled.

Set your display to go to sleep at 1 minute (or set up a hot corner: http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/05/quickly-sleep-the-display-in-mac-os-x-with-a-hot-corner/).

Let your display go to sleep for a few seconds (maybe a minute or two) and wake it up and check the GPU temperature (with HWMonitor) or Console Logs.

In my case (and apparently others) the GPU changes to state 0 making it really warm and most likely using more power than when it was actually on.

There seems to be work-around already -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/31349-how-i-got-my-560-ti-working-quick-guide-12.html#post426446 (I haven't tried it) but it seems to work. Of course a proper fix would be nice.

I decided to make a new thread because maybe this could be affecting other cards as well.

Set your display to go to sleep at 1 minute (or set up a hot corner: http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/05/quick...-a-hot-corner/).

Let your display go to sleep for a few seconds (maybe a minute or two) and wake it up and check the GPU temperature (with HWMonitor) or Console Logs.

In my case (and apparently others) the GPU changes to state 0 making it really warm and most likely using more power than when it was actually on.
Not happening on mine... GPU Diode temp stays the same 55-56C

Playing Youtube videos, GPU diode temp goes up to 56-57C.

Not happening on mine... GPU Diode temp stays the same 55-56C

No problem here as well. Still on 42°C :thumbup:

Looks like it's only affecting Nvidia cards? (Just a thought)

42C, awesome temp! What's the Ambient temp in your istat?

(Mine's at 37C ambient)

42C, awesome temp! What's the Ambient temp in your istat?

(Mine's at 37C ambient)

Ohh man 37C ambient? Where do you live? Freaking hot! :eek:

I have currently 26,2 in my Room.

I use an Corsair 600T case. With stock fans. 200mm on top pulling hot air out. 200mm front pulling cold air in. 140mm back pulling hot air out.

What's your config?

Then I'm guessing it is an issue with Nvidia cards? Anyone else with an Nvidia card?

Hmmmm guys I think I have found another issue...now affecting my AMD graphics.

After the monitor (or PC I don't know what's the reason exactly) goes to sleep and I wake him up I have VERY bad graphics performance. Normally I get on a Steam game called TF2 about over 100fps with this issue I have only 28fps!!

Any ideas what's wrong?

EDIT!! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Yep! a very nice guy called katiebug2u solved the problem! And I think it could help you with your problem too!

Just install a imac12,2 system profile because the power management kext is not probably loaded with the macpro3,1 profile!

Here is the original thread where you can read all about it:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/66596-low-performance-after-sleep-hd6850.html

I was running MacPro 3,1 ... what the heck, so I tried iMac 12,2.

No change in my Geekbench or Cinebench scores. (well, iMac12,2 is 1fps more 54.59 vs. 53.69 )
or temperature readings.

It seems feeling smoother though... but don't know if that's just my imagination. I'll try it for a few weeks and if all is well, I'll just leave it at iMac 12,2.

I was running MacPro 3,1 ... what the heck, so I tried iMac 12,2.

No change in my Geekbench or Cinebench scores. (well, iMac12,2 is 1fps more 54.59 vs. 53.69 )
or temperature readings.

It seems feeling smoother though... but don't know if that's just my imagination. I'll try it for a few weeks and if all is well, I'll just leave it at iMac 12,2.

As you don't had any problems (I think so... :think:) you will not discover any great changes. But that you think it's a bit smoother could be true. I also have that feeling :D

Anyway... iMac 12,2 is really the better choice. You don't hurt anything and many hackintosh user use this system profile cause it's better for their system. :mrgreen:

iMac 12,2 :headbang::headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back