Contribute
Register

Apple Finally Buying AMD CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it for years, everybody laugh at me. Hope we're right mate!
Simply because many people hate Intel but forget AMD.

hi
Many years ago Apple computers were powerful and different than the rest. They did not use x86/64 CPUs. When they switched to x86/64 they became only another 'PC' company. They were/are locked by the architecture. You cannot be much different that the rest HW side. This is what we are seeing even more right now. Ok you can have a fancy screen and I/O ports but bottom line they are like any other computers regardless of their CPU.
My bet would be to switch to their own Axx CPU (Arm). Risk-V might be too much but just imagine.... They would have the freedom to do something different and innovate since design wise no more bottle neck due to x86/64 Architecture. We will have then as many years ago something really different not just another PC.
As others already mentioned.... What you can already do with an iPad Pro, just imagine with the HW 'adapted' in a computer case what you could do.

Surprised about this information.
Since Ryzen 4000 mobile APUs are so powerful this time, it will be great if Apple use them on Mac. But hope AMD can fix up an issue on RX 5700XT first.

I have used mac portable, quadra 700, G4 just to name few and compared with was available at the time they were something else. When PowerPC did struggle against Intel regarding Power, Performances, etc... Apple did not have too many options but to go to Intel. This is where Innovation took a beating since you had to be as everyone else. Granted you can tweak but still....
They can always use AMD to boost performances in the short term but to be 'Apple=innovation' again ARM would be the best route. After all Apple uses this platform for years. I do not have access to their R&D but I'll bet they have OS X running on ARM. The other would be Risk-V but this is another story.

There is plenty of AMD support out there for Hackintosh but would be REALLY nice as Apple adopting APUs would mean a new generation of AMD Hackintosh Laptops!! :)

Any chance for iGpu Vega11?

I tested my 2400g with vega IGPU a little but it crashes when editing the plist. Same as before, but its nice there are some snippets in there. I will resume testing tonight. It’s on OpenCore so it’s not so easy to inject properties.

I seem to remember AMD chips being en vogue once before, maybe over 10 years ago? Was there a drive to get Apple to use them back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back