Contribute
Register

Apple Finally Buying AMD CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope this story pans out to be true.

Now that AMD have CPU's that are as powerful (or more powerful) than similar spec'ed Intel CPU's and at a lower cost, it totally makes sense that Apple would consider using AMD CPU's/APU's.

Apple and AMD already have a close working relationship when it comes to GPU's, so Apple will probably get very favourable price's on CPU's resulting in higher margins on their retail products.

I'm just surprised it's taken them this long to make the jump ...

Having official AMD CPU/APU support in MacOs will open up a whole new world for the Hackintosh community.

Cheers
Jay

Wow this is real news!

Since its switch to the x86 machine architecture from PowerPC in the mid-2000s, Apple has been consistent with Intel as its sole supplier of CPUs for its Macbooks, iMac desktops, and Mac Pro workstations. The company's relationship with rival AMD has been limited to sourcing discrete GPUs. If pieces of code from a MacOS beta is anything to go buy, Apple could bite the AMD bullet very soon. References to several AMD processors were found in MacOS 10.15.4 Beta 1. These include the company's "Picasso," "Renoir," and "Van Gogh" APUs.

EgOZWhnsCVdz5SOW.jpg

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't already. Not sure what ties them so closely to Intel, but imagine if the $6k Mac Pro was a 16 core machine (or maybe even a 32 core) -- people wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back