Contribute
Register

Apple Event - September 15th 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the article. So basically you connect over wifi with a server. That's not very fast, is it? USB2 = 35 MB/s, can an iPad's WIFI keep up with this?

Assuming you have a good 802.11ac connection and the server you are connecting to is decent, it should be much faster than USB2.

10 MB/s max, I know I should redo the UTP wiring to my Ubiquiti Access Point.
Right after redoing the backdoor's doorstep, which means not any time soon...

10 MB/s max, I know I should redo the UTP wiring to my Ubiquiti Access Point.
Right after redoing the backdoor's doorstep, which means not any time soon...

Are you talking about 10Base-T wiring? That should not affect the 802.11ac connection to your computer if both your computer and iPad are on 802.11ac.

Last time I bought an iPad was a 1st Gen iPad Mini. It's definitely a better beast than the Kindle HDX I have - which is still the best Android tablet Amazon created and that I've used, for shear speed. Price was not an issue in either purchase.

The new iPad Air with its square edge design and A14 chip does look compelling. The iPad Pros I see as too way expensive for a machine that basically has a two-year lifespan before expensive surgery will be needed to replace a battery.

As for Lightroom @zipb, I bought versions 1 to 3 retail for desktop and loved them. Then with version 6 they changed the design and this lost me completely. It may be as powerful as before but felt too dumbed down. Probably my bad!

Last edited:
Last time I bought an iPad was a 1st Gen iPad Mini. It's definitely a better beast than the Kindle HDX I have - which is still the best Android tablet Amazon created and that I've used, for shear speed. Price was not an issue in either purchase.

The new iPad Air with its square edge design and A14 chip does look compelling. The iPad Pros I see as too way expensive for a machine that basically has a two-year lifespan before expensive surgery will be needed to replace a battery.

As for Lightroom @zipb, I bought versions 1 to 3 retail for desktop and loved them. Then with version 6 they changed the design and this lost me completely. It may be as powerful as before but felt too dumbed down. Probably my bad!

I managed to squeeze 4 years and 3+ years out of my 1st gen iPad Air and 3rd gen iPad mini before I started noticing diminished battery life. I primarily used them for MMORPG and drawing and the mini was my travel companion.

But I agree. These are disposable devices.

Just curious, how much storage does it have ? I'd guess 16GB.

Yes, 16GB. Actually just checked and it says 12.6GB so the OS obviously eats into that. As we only ever streamed music or video I didn't see the need for more. My wife uses it now, but rarely. Her phone is faster. :)

I managed to squeeze 4 years and 3+ years out of my 1st gen iPad Air and 3rd gen iPad mini before I started noticing diminished battery life. I primarily used them for MMORPG and drawing and the mini was my travel companion.

But I agree. These are disposable devices.

To be fair I was only generalising. The iPad Mini my wife now uses is 5-years old and still works, though the battery life is diminished and it is very slow.

Still, I guess buyers of iPad Pros will use them more intensely, like a laptop computer, and that would contribute to wear.

:)

Are you talking about 10Base-T wiring? That should not affect the 802.11ac connection to your computer if both your computer and iPad are on 802.11ac.
My router/switch is connected to my WIFI acces point via a broken UTP cable. My server has no WIFI but is connected to the switch via UTP. The throughput from WIFI acces point to switch is the bottleneck. Redoing the cable is a nasty job, there's a sharp bend in the 15 meter pipe the cable has to go through. It tests fine with my cable tester, it is cat5e, but it's throughput is 100 mb and not 1 gb like it used to be.

That tablet can't even compete with the previous generation of iPad Air... Those Apple designed SoCs are impressive. I don't think any of the Android tablets can compare.

Apple's prices for storage is ridiculous and always has been but I don't see these other tablets as alternatives.

Here are some Geekbench 4 comparisons.

Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus CPU scores are ~1000 single core and ~4500 multi core.
GPU score is 353.

iPad Air (3rd Generation) CPU scores are ~4800 single core and ~11500 multi core.
GPU score is ~20000.

View attachment 488259
View attachment 488260
Source:https://mynexttablet.com/lenovo-tab-m10-fhd-plus-review/

View attachment 488261
View attachment 488262
Yeh but do most people really use that perfomance ? For me would be teh 128 GB space more important than the perfomance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back