Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Recently bought a G5 that came with a nice 20" 1650x1050 Apple Cinema Display. only Problem is that is uses apple shorlived, propriatary 'Apple Display Conector", wich provides a DVI, USB and power signal all over the one cord. ATM im looking to address this problem with a DIY Converter like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DVI-to-ADC-converter/

With Said Circuit board:

https://www.batchpcb.com/pcbs/70733

Except mine will be housed in an old 2.5" HDD case.

This involves some fairly serious soldering, as well as time and money. If any one has any other solutions, i'm all ears, because i think the monitor would really add to the
hackintosh feel :)

I'm All Ears

Thx in advance guys :)

Are you referring to the dvi connector with rounded sides going to a standard dvi connector? I have more than one of these laying around in a dust covered box. You can have them. If that's not what you're looking for, forgive my ignorance.

Are you referring to the dvi connector with rounded sides going to a standard dvi connector? I have more than one of these laying around in a dust covered box. You can have them. If that's not what you're looking for, forgive my ignorance.

thx, but if i understanding is correct, these cables are ADC -> DVI, which is the opposite of what i am trying to do >_<

its comparable to only sending one stream down a HDMI cord when HDMI can in fact carry multiple audio video streams. The Apple display connector carry's a DVI signal, a USB signal and a power line. so i have to use said adapter to put these three separate streams down the one connection.

on top of all that, i live in Australia, which generally poses shipping issues for most :p

but thanks again for the quick reply and kind offer :)

Funny, I am in a similar position. I was at an auction the other day and no-one would bid on an old Apple Cinema Display HD 23" so I took pity on it and bought it for £10.
The display has a broken and missing rear leg and I am busy trying to hook up a DVI cable and a laptop power supply to it to replace the ADC connector. Having gone through all the cables etc. I think I am getting somewhere. My start point though was this post by Gus: http://www.tonymacx86.com/customization/48332-apple-display-connector-dvi-adaptor.html
In the end I decided not to make a separate converter box, but am trying to replace the ADC flying cable completely with a DVI cable and then put a power socket on the back of the CInema Display. I am almost at the point of getting the soldering iron out......I'll let you know how it goes.
Total cost to me so far is £10 for the display, £2.79 for a 2m DVI cable and £10 for a 90w universal laptop power supply that will supply 24volts. If it works it'll be a cool little display for not too much and have a nice hackintosh feel. Only setback so far is the DVI cable I bought does not have a wired up pin 24 (which is a clock return pin) so I'm just scratching my head and trying to work out if I need it or if another ground pin will do....
Anyway good luck!

Funny, I am in a similar position. I was at an auction the other day and no-one would bid on an old Apple Cinema Display HD 23" so I took pity on it and bought it for £10.
The display has a broken and missing rear leg and I am busy trying to hook up a DVI cable and a laptop power supply to it to replace the ADC connector. Having gone through all the cables etc. I think I am getting somewhere. My start point though was this post by Gus: http://www.tonymacx86.com/customization/48332-apple-display-connector-dvi-adaptor.html
In the end I decided not to make a separate converter box, but am trying to replace the ADC flying cable completely with a DVI cable and then put a power socket on the back of the CInema Display. I am almost at the point of getting the soldering iron out......I'll let you know how it goes.
Total cost to me so far is £10 for the display, £2.79 for a 2m DVI cable and £10 for a 90w universal laptop power supply that will supply 24volts. If it works it'll be a cool little display for not too much and have a nice hackintosh feel. Only setback so far is the DVI cable I bought does not have a wired up pin 24 (which is a clock return pin) so I'm just scratching my head and trying to work out if I need it or if another ground pin will do....
Anyway good luck!

wow, thx for this awesome link, this is the kind of thing i would do, if i had the patience and skill :p

i think i've seen someone attempt what your talking about on a 17" model, i'll try and dig up the link for you :)

atm, the easiest way to solve this problem is to sell it to a mate, who's got a stock G5 he's setting up for his daughter, in which case the money will go to one of the new dual thunderbolt boards from gigabyte :D

thx again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back