Hi all. First Hackintosh build. Here are my specs:

i7-4790K
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM
Integrated Intel HD 4600 Graphics
1 TB 7200 RPM 'Cuda HDD
1200W Thermaltake PSU
NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case

Here's my issue. I'm upgrading from a Mac Pro 3,1 tower in which I had installed an AMD Radeon 5770. This card had mDP ports, so I bought an Apple Cinema Display 27" monitor (non-TB). The issue I'm having is I can't figure out how to connect the monitor to my new Hackintosh. The difficult part is that the monitor only has mDP male and it's built into the casing, so I can't swap it out. I had tried the following, but it didn't work:

Monitor --> mDP f/f coupler --> mDP-to-HDMI cable. This did not give me an image. The HDMI port works well because I can hook it up to my TV.

I'm cheap, so I don't plan on getting a stand-alone GPU anytime soon, but I'm willing to spend a few bucks to get the right cables and adapters. Whether I use HDMI or DVI doesn't matter to me. DVI might actually be better since HDMI maxes out at 1920x1080 and DVI I can go the full 2560x1440.

Please help. My wife is not very patient when I have two computers and all manner of parts taking up desk space. Thanks.

Remember, the monitor only has a male mDP connector.

EDIT: Please provide links to cables or adapters if possible. Amazon is preferred since I'm a Prime member.

I think your best bet would be to start looking for a graphics card with a DisplayPort output.

Converting HDMI or DVI to DisplayPort requires active digital logic, not an adapter cable, the protocols have different semantics.

Also, I don't think it's very common to send more than 1920x1200 over a single DVI connection, I would suggest double-checking your information there.

I think your best bet would be to start looking for a graphics card with a DisplayPort output.

Converting HDMI or DVI to DisplayPort requires active digital logic, not an adapter cable, the protocols have different semantics.

Also, I don't think it's very common to send more than 1920x1200 over a single DVI connection, I would suggest double-checking your information there.

Yeah, came to that realization this afternoon, so I purchased a GTX 970 and a $4 cable that has mDP-female to DP-male from StarTec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back