i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display (Mini Displayport version), and a mid-2010 27" iMac. The color is significantly different between them. I have spent a decent amount of time trying to use the Apple calibration tool to get them to match, but I can still tell a difference. Does anyone have any experience using one of those Spyder calibration things on a monitor that uses target display mode? My original goal was to sell the iMac on eBay or something, then buy another apple cinema display (since I never use the actual iMac anymore, just use it as a monitor).

Also, is there a way to tell if my graphics card will be able to handle another monitor? I have an XFX R9 280X, and it's running the two 2560X1440p monitors. Even though I totally don't need it, if I were to add a third 2560X1440p monitor, how would I know if my GPU could handle that? I don't play any games in OS X (only a little in Windows 7). Thanks.

-Eric

I have experience with 2 24" cinema displays connected to a Mac Pro. With the built in Apple calibration tool I wasn't able to calibrate the 2 screens to be exactly the same either. One was clearly more yellow then the other.

I recently purchased a Spyder 3, that in theory, work to get the displays matching each other as each will get its own profile that tells the video card to push more blue or less yellow for example.
Unfortunately I havent had time to calibrate the Mac Pro system yet so I can't tell you if that would solve the issue. What I can tell you is that my calibrated Macbook Air and LG 29EA292 screens look similar but not "the same". These are ran by 2 different systems obviously but you would think that "calibrated" means that they would look the same. So my guess is that even with one machine powering 2 screens there will always be a slight difference between the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back