Contribute
Register

Apple Cinema Display 27" not working! please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi!

I've used my hackintosh comptuer for a while now. I have a 27" DELL screen connected already, which works like a charm (using a DVI-D cable).

But now I bought a new screen (an Apple Cinema Display 27"), and I bought an adapter from minidisplayport to displayport which goes into my graphics card.

Specs of computer:

Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard
GeForce GTX 660
Intel 3930k processor
etc.

I get absolutely NO signal what so ever to my apple cinema display 27" which is connected to the displayport input of my graphicscard.

I read something about UEFI problems with displayport/cinema displays

but is there a fix for it? I really need to get my brand new cinema display to work with my hackintosh! It was expensive as hell aswell.

please, someone help me. I would so much appreciate the answers.

Thanks alot!

Best,

J

Please, someone help me. I really need help.

For what it's worth...

I have a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display and I use a Mini-DP to DP adapter also. It's part of a two monitor setup and it functions just fine. My other monitor is also an Apple monitor, a 20" ACD plugged in to the lower DVi port of my GPU.

The system recognizes only the smaller of the two until the OS boots. All BIOS settings must be done using the 20" UNLESS I plug the 27" directly into my motherboard's Thunderbolt ports. Then the 27" is usable at BIOS time (but it is no longer using the GTX670 video card.)

Bottom line is that there must be a setting that you have missed in BIOS. Sorry I can't be more specific since I don't use your setup. That monitor works with hacks.

I too am looking for a solution, but perhaps I can provide some details as to what I've found works and does not ...

My cinema display had worked wonderfully with a pair of nVidia GTX770 cards on a GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard when my boot manager was Chameleon. It had also worked find with my prior ATI HD6870 card, but after a recently moved to Clover (v2890) to resolve iMessage issues the display no longer worked on 9 out of 10 boots. I tried remoting in and updating to the newest nVidia drivers and neither that nor native drivers worked for me. Ultimately swapping out the nVidia cards for the ATI card worked, BUT is far from the solution I wanted. I don't want to give up on Clover for I need iMessage and Facetime to work, and I spent a lot of $s on the monitor and nVidia cards which work wonderfully for gaming under Windows.

Is this a Clover issue or perhaps the way I've configured it? System defs tried so far: MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1. Perhaps extra kexts are needed other than FakeSMC, or a different DSDT.aml file (I'm running the FF bios and the one for that) from Clover?

Perhaps a different motherboard that supports a UEFI is the answer? Is there one that I could swap in without the need of a processor(LGA1366)/memory(DDR3) upgrade? Has anyone found this to make a difference?

Hopefully this will help others with cinema display issues, and result in comments that will help get my system running better.

Please, someone help me. I really need help.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am contemplating a Cinema Display setup, but I want to make sure it will work. I currently use an iMac as my display. Most of the time, I turn on my iMac, then boot my hackintosh, and it will not be recognized. I wait until my motherboard code shows "AE" then I press the enter button my keyboard (because that's selecting OS X instead of Windows 7). Then I wait until my mobo shows an "AO", then I flip to Target Display Mode on my iMac and it will show me the Hackintosh.

If you have another monitor, you could plug that into your video card in addition to the Cinema Display, then once the system loads up, it should recognize the Cinema display. That's my guess, because whenever I plug a Dell using HDMI into my GPU, it recognizes it right away. As others have said, I think Apple monitors don't recognize the Hackintosh until they get past the BIOS/bootloaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back