Contribute
Register

Apple Chime at Startup Added to Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Clover Bootloader 5107 it works as expected on Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI with Realtek ALC1150. But I wanted to use a custom startup sound file, and apparently it needs to be 16 bit, 48 kHz, wav file. My custom file was 24 bit, and the output sound was just a lot of peaking noise. After 10 reboots or so with tweaking it now works fine!

(MacOS 10.15.4)

Last edited:
How to enable the startup chime on a "real Mac"
Code:
sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

To turn it back off again change the second 0 back to 1

Is there a config.plist or theme.plist to set the volume persistent across reboots? I set mine away from the default and it went back to default after the reboot.

I'm looking for the same. After each reboot I have all set to 0000 again:-/

Hi, I have a problem with the sound output. It works, but it still sounds glitched even with the 16bit 48kHz wav file. Which could be the problem? Thanks for the replies.
Try converting it to 44hz instead. That fixed it for me.

@beelzebozo great guide posted here! I followed your guide except for checking the playasync box and did hear the chime when the clover boot screen appears. If I check the PlayAsync box, will I hear the chime after the boot screen?

Found out that startup.wav was made possible in the latest Clover build based off of https://github.com/Goldfish64/AudioPkg#BootChimeCfg.

Install the latest Clover build. Install AudioDxe-64.efi option for UEFI and stick sound.wav inside the theme folder of your choice.

When you get to the Clover GUI, you need to select Options and select Startup Sound Output; select your audio output. You can test by selecting the F7 key and you can also control the volume in increments as 0010 up to 0100. Recommended setting is 0060. You'll hear a sound that resembles an electric guitar chord when doing the test, however the startup.wav or Apple chime will sound when the Clover gui loads.

I've seen some mixed results over at Insanely where some people have had the startup.wav initialize as the Apple logo displays; however I think that is only possible with the Goldfish64 option. There is also an option for PlayAsync in the config.cfg update in Clover where it should be selected. This can be found in Gui, under Theme.

EDIT: Apparently needs to be 16 bit, 48 kHz, wav file (post)
The volume level resetting back to 0000 on restart. How to save in NVRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back