Contribute
Register

Apple branded bluetooth module in USB hub - Solved Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Apple BT adapter didn't work at 5V off the MB header, I added 2xDiodes on 5V line which drops the voltage by 1.4Volts to 3.6 or so and now the adapter works perfect!

kmare said:
My Apple BT adapter didn't work at 5V off the MB header, I added 2xDiodes on 5V line which drops the voltage by 1.4Volts to 3.6 or so and now the adapter works perfect!

Can you post a link to the diodes you used. I'm not to electronically savy.

dazzler22 said:
ok I have found your problem, just got home and wired mine up,

you have the pins the wrong way round! I have the same bluetooth as you and the pin out is as follows:-

1 - Red
2 - Green
3 - Yellow
4 -Black

If you swap your green and yellow it should be ok, Bear in mind though that I do have mine through a usb hub.

Working nicly with my magic mouse and bt keyboard, all i need to do now is get sleep working (I have the tickbox for wake from sleep). any ideas how to get sleep working are appreciated.....

hope this helps!

And big respect to macaddictcr for posting up in the first place :D

Cheers
Dazzler

Really?? I would of thought for sure to match wire for wire with the except of the yellow from the bt module which would go with the white of the cable. So you're saying green from the module goes with white from the cable and yellow from the module goes with green from the cable? Do I understand you correctly?

sumsaykra-z said:
Really?? I would of thought for sure to match wire for wire with the except of the yellow from the bt module which would go with the white of the cable. So you're saying green from the module goes with white from the cable and yellow from the module goes with green from the cable? Do I understand you correctly?

Yep green = white and yellow = green, i guess apple arnt too worried about keeping colour coding standards since they work to their own.....

still cant get mine to wake from sleep with bluetooth, I managed to get sleep working (all be it broken the audio at the same time, was using voodoo butt hat now gives a kernel panic) but to wake it from sleep i have to use a USB mouse.....

Cheers
Dazzler

you want simple rectifier diodes: 1N4001 being the most common

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2036268

diodes have a unique property that the voltage drop across them is constant; for 1N4001 the drop is ~0.7, so two of these connected together means 2x0.7v = 1.4V; 5V is definitely too high for these modules

for wiring, I also did the yellow to green cross over between the apple BT wires and the PC USB wires

Wake from sleep with magic mouse is now working for me (before my old dongle wake only was reliable with a mighty mouse)

kmare said:
you want simple rectifier diodes: 1N4001 being the most common

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2036268

diodes have a unique property that the voltage drop across them is constant; for 1N4001 the drop is ~0.7, so two of these connected together means 2x0.7v = 1.4V; 5V is definitely too high for these modules

for wiring, I also did the yellow to green cross over between the apple BT wires and the PC USB wires

Wake from sleep with magic mouse is now working for me (before my old dongle wake only was reliable with a mighty mouse)

I bought the diodes but from what I'm reading on the back of the pack it says
Code:
Forward voltage drop (VF) at (if): 1.6V

So I asked someone there if only one diode drops the voltage 1.6V and he went ask someone who in turn said yes.

Update: So I went ahead with the advice you gave and...success!! sort of..right now anyway. I'm at work right now and I tried it on Windows here. All the drivers install and it finds and pairs with my phone but I can't use it for anything. I didn't really expect it to work oob (or whatever this particular situation would be called..lol) with windows although I'm sure we can get it to work. I think it's trying to install the driver for my phone though. I think the module itself installed fine. It is recognized and everything.

Update 2: I'm quite sure it has something to do with the iphone and the driver for that. Not sure exactly what because I'm currently tethering over bluetooth :D . So that works so I'm looking forward to plugging this baby into my hack!

Update 3:I made it home this morning and plugged in my make shift bluetooth dongle and....complete success. I now have 100% full functionality with my magic mouse and my overall system. I will be attempting to convert my usb cable rig into something a little more practical like a usb dongle. I was thinking of maybe trying to get all of the components inside an old flash drive. What do you guys think?

If you are using 1N4001 the drop is going to be ~0.7V; I would recommend putting 2xdiodes.

I suspect 1.6V is the max drop at high currents

Why not put the module inside your PC case?

kmare said:
If you are using 1N4001 the drop is going to be ~0.7V; I would recommend putting 2xdiodes.

I suspect 1.6V is the max drop at high currents

Why not put the module inside your PC case?

I went ahead and used both diodes and the bt module is working flawlessly. I was thinking about putting it in the case somewhere, maybe spliced into into the usb front header, but I noticed this morning that when I plugged the bt module into the usb header I got some interference when using headphones on that same front panel. Do you know of anything that I (we) can use to eliminate the interference on the bt module or is their a better place to put the module?

anyone can post their finish product with diodes please?

never soldered in my life so will appreciate a how to :D

Diode method posted - Thanks to Swhay for original diagram.

Yes the green and yellow wires between the Apple and USB cable do crossover

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    506.7 KB · Views: 2,376
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back