Contribute
Register

Apple branded bluetooth module in USB hub - Solved Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on the guide? My module should be here today and I'm not to sure on which wires are soldered where :confused:

:idea: What about just for port testing purposes instead of going through the process of buying a usb hub and soldering everything in place just take an old (read: not in use) usb cable and just splice into that. At that point it just becomes an easy plug n play game until you find a port that works. It also saves you money if this doesn't work at all (minus the money already spent on the bt module). Anyways, just a thought.

sumsaykra-z said:
Any word on the guide? My module should be here today and I'm not to sure on which wires are soldered where :confused:

:idea: What about just for port testing purposes instead of going through the process of buying a usb hub and soldering everything in place just take an old (read: not in use) usb cable and just splice into that. At that point it just becomes an easy plug n play game until you find a port that works. It also saves you money if this doesn't work at all (minus the money already spent on the bt module). Anyways, just a thought.

I started writing the guide this weekend but wasn't able to complete it. I'll keep working on it tonight after work though.

With the serial number facing down and the antenna connector to the right bottom corner, the pin layout from top to bottom is as follows:

1- VCC
2- D-
3- D+
4- GND
|........3 . |..................|
|........4__|..................|
|.............................O.| "O" is antenna connector
|____________________|

USB cable colors may vary by cable but this seems to be the general rule of thumb across the interwebs.

1- VCC- Red
2- D- White
3- D+ Green
4- GND Black

The cable colors that connect to the BT module most likely won't match the standard USB colors so you'll need to connect it and see what color goes where.

Here is a reference for USB pin specs.
http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html

Hope this helps you and others.

Sweet. Can't wait for the guide man. I'm looking forward to it. Although tonight I may try to splice it into a usb cable. That's the same pin layout I found last night. On my bt module the "white" cable is "yellow" that's the only difference. I haven't cut open the usb cable yet so we'll see how that goes. This shouldn't be terribly difficult. I read somewhere though that some of the Apple bt modules are actually 3.3v and not 5v like a standard usb is. Do you know if this is true and if so a) how to tell if you have one of those modules? b) if one does have that module how would we go about connecting it some where's else?

sumsaykra-z said:
Sweet. Can't wait for the guide man. I'm looking forward to it. Although tonight I may try to splice it into a usb cable. That's the same pin layout I found last night. On my bt module the "white" cable is "yellow" that's the only difference. I haven't cut open the usb cable yet so we'll see how that goes. This shouldn't be terribly difficult. I read somewhere though that some of the Apple bt modules are actually 3.3v and not 5v like a standard usb is. Do you know if this is true and if so a) how to tell if you have one of those modules? b) if one does have that module how would we go about connecting it some where's else?

I couldn't tell you if it were true or not but it would make sense to have it being a 3.3v if it were from a laptop computer. The Mac Pro Desktops use the same type of BT board but as far as voltages go I couldn't tell you one way or the other on those either. That is why I figured it would be safer to use a USB hub because it seemed like it would safeguard from over powering the BT board and frying it.

Well, this is my hack job. I know this picture is probably making some electrical engineers cringe but it gets the job done. I don't have my hackintosh around me only Windows Vista. I plugged it in and windows sees it but then immediately reports an unknown device and absolutely nothing can be done with it. My hackintosh is dual boot with Win7 and i found some drivers that enabled multigestures with the Apple Magic Mouse and had a post about it a while back http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9283. I installed the driver and it still doesn't work. This driver is ported over from the boot camp update so I figured it would work. :( . I will be at my hack tomorrow and test it there.

Attachments

• IMG_0019[1].JPG
    IMG_0019[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,714
Okay. Quick update. My bluetooth module is not working. OS X doesn't even see it. Now this could be due to something I did but soldering 4 wires isn't that difficult. I may have gotten a bad chip too. Any suggestions?

dazzler22 said:
With a direct link to usb providing 5v could that have damaged the card? I have my BT module here but am waiting for a cheap hub to solder it into as most of them have a 3.3v regulator built in....

at least that was my understanding of it...

Cheers
Dazzler

That could very well be the case. I actually didn't know usb hubs had 3.3v regulator built in. It could have damaged the module, which would suck. When I plugged it in their was no obvious havoc being reeked on the chip so I don't know. I said in a previous post that i plugged it into windows and windows seen it plugged in but couldn't recognize it. I hope I didn't completely ruin it. It was only $7 but my wife still won't be happy that I wasted the money. Hell, I just bought a brand new iPad thanks to her. :thumbup:

lol good ole giant rectangle :p I just got a macbook cheap because the owner wanted some money towards an ipad...

hopefully the BT board is ok, will post back once my hub arrives and i give it a go..

Cheers
Dazzler

P.s. i just noticed these are my first posts.... been lurking for a while but only signed up a couple months back... \o/

ok I have found your problem, just got home and wired mine up,

you have the pins the wrong way round! I have the same bluetooth as you and the pin out is as follows:-

1 - Red
2 - Green
3 - Yellow
4 -Black

If you swap your green and yellow it should be ok, Bear in mind though that I do have mine through a usb hub.

Working nicly with my magic mouse and bt keyboard, all i need to do now is get sleep working (I have the tickbox for wake from sleep). any ideas how to get sleep working are appreciated.....

hope this helps!

And big respect to macaddictcr for posting up in the first place :D

Cheers
Dazzler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back