Contribute
Register

Apple ATI Radeon 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not here, working fine for me.

Ivanovitch said:
since i installed the 5770 i'm getting rare kernel panics at boot (every 10/15 boots or so) and some strange UI freezes ( :beachball: spinning ...)

is anyone having the same issues ?

I have no issues with my Apple ATI card now.

Double check your ATY_Init.kext making sure everything is set to "Hoolock" (since you have the OEM Apple ATI 5770 graphics card. I had found that some of my ATY_Init file built from the using the installers had some strings defined as "Vervet" and some as "Uakari". Instead of using the search and "replace all" method I searched for Vervet and changed all enteries to Hoolock. Next, I did a search for Uakari and to my surprise there were a lot of changes to be made (Uakari to Hoolock). I did the changes manually to insure nothing was missed.

Hope that resolves your problem

well the problem was coming from the NvEnabler64 keyxt ... I had forgotten to remove it :confused:

however i don't understand why you modified the whole aty_init keyxt framebuffers... only thoses under the 5700 section needs to be replaced to hoolock

for thoses who have a 27" cinema display:

i have issues with the brightness controll, each time i reboot under osx i have to unplug/replug the usb cord to get brightness control working. However if i don't, i still have audio/webcam/light sensor working even if display tab in system preferences don't show the brightness slider... o_O

the audio control gets sometime bugged and freezes, the only solution is to plug/unplug display's power cord.

I've off course installed apple's cinema display update package for the 27"...

Anyone experiencing something similar ?

Yes, I get the audio issue. It seems to be a problem for all/most 27" ACD owners right now, even with real Macs. If you check the Apple discussion forums the ACD forum is full of complaints about this issue.

I would report it to Apple to help raise their awareness of the problem. Hopefully it is just a software fix that is needed.

Hey Guys - wish I'd stumbled on this thread earlier!! Spent my night trying to get my new OEM Apple 5770 working with no luck. :(

But now it looks like a simple find/replace will fix it. I was going to return it - before I do tho, the whole reason I'm upgrading from a 4890 is to get triple display out. I just read in the Apple booklet that apparently if you want to use all three ports you need to use the Apple MDP -> Dual Link DVI (even for normal DVI monitors, not 30").

Has anyone tested using one of these cards with 3x DVI? or 2xDVI + 1xHDMI? I was planning to use:

- DVI to monitor 1
- MDP 1 to monitor 2 using Apple MDP - DVI
- MDP 2 to HDMI TV using Kanex iAdapt (audio + video over HDMI from new MDP).

Anyone doing this?

Thanks,
John

Ivanovitch said:
for thoses who have a 27" cinema display:

i have issues with the brightness controll, each time i reboot under osx i have to unplug/replug the usb cord to get brightness control working. However if i don't, i still have audio/webcam/light sensor working even if display tab in system preferences don't show the brightness slider... o_O

the audio control gets sometime bugged and freezes, the only solution is to plug/unplug display's power cord.

I've off course installed apple's cinema display update package for the 27"...

Anyone experiencing something similar ?
Hi,
Can you choose between USB or MDP audio ? In other words, does 5770 apple card support MDP audio ? I'm afraid the only way to get this display fully functional is to have a macbookpro 2010...

cinema display audio is USB-driven only therefore i don't know if the apple card can pass through audio via it's MDP output.

However i don't understand why one would need a '10 Mbp to get cinema displays functional. They work 100% fine on every mac with a mini display port (since the first '08 or '07 unibody MacBooks).

It works fine on a hack too. I have webcam / audio / brightness sensor working. The only drawback is that i have to unplug/plug the usb port to achieve manual brightness control with apple's shortcut keys or preference plane slider button.

Hi,
ACD 27 audio is not USB-only driven, I chose DisplayPort for audio out using my Macbook Pro 2010. I read many posts on various forums (including Apple's one) and it appears that brightness or sound problems occurs when using usb audio, that's why I asked if Apple's 5770 can pass audio through MDP, it could solve your current (and my future...) drawbacks.

I have followed this thread to get my system working, here is what I have learned that might be helpful to others.

-27 inch Apple Cinema Display works with APPLE 5770 through MDP.. Non-Apple 5770 does not work at all with the ACD.
-I did have to change the framebuffer entries for both Vervet and Uakari to Hoolock, install with multibeast, repair permissions, and re-boot. I had a couple problems here, but was able to boot into safe mode and fix.
-Had to remove the long metal rail from the APPLE 5770 card for it to fit in my case. It was a pain to remove it, had to remove the plastic cover first, but it does come off without damaging anything, then fits in the case fine.
-I was able to get a second cheap HP LCD display to work through the DVI port, but NOT through the second MDP with a MDP-DVI adapter.
-Had to re-install audio drivers through multibeast, as installing the ACD software update made the system only see the audio thats built into the display.
-The audio now crackles, and slows the system down. This is very annoying and I have to find a way to fix it, has anyone else encountered this? Any fixes?
-The 27 inch Apple Cinema Display is AWESOME, blows away my old Dell 2709w.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you have any ideas about getting my audio working better.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back