Contribute
Register

Apple Announces OS X 10.11 El Capitan - Available Fall 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any information about haswell support?

If you've ever visited Yosemite National Park you must have seen El Capitan.
If not, it's probably the most photographed 100 million year old pieces of granite on Earth.
So the "Chief" is the main attraction in the park next to Half Dome. It represents something
that is "rock solid" stable and enduring. All things that Apple want's it's Mac OS to be. So
the choice may be hard to fathom but it makes perfect sense for 10.11.

The name El Capitan was also chosen because this update is not offering a lot of new
features that aren't already in Yosemite. It's similar to the situation with Leopard
and Snow Leopard. Don't see anything wrong with that. At least now anyone should
be able to pronounce the name correctly. I've seen many Youtube videos where people
say OS X "Yozy might" which is almost as bad as those saying "OS EX" instead of
"OS Ten" which is the correct way to refer to Apple's Mac OS.

Just an FYI, please don't discuss installation of any Developer Betas here- we're all super excited about it but it is under NDA and open only to registered and paid Apple developers.

Anything disseminated or announced by Apple publicly can be discussed, but refrain from discussion of installation procedures, guides, etc...

Once the Public Beta build is out, we will be relaxing our policy somewhat. Stay tuned. ;)

Is metal equivalent to, CUDA. Is this apples way tapping into the GPU and will it help FCPX, what's your thoughts on this.

I'm still using mountain lion, got no plans to upgrade to any future releases, I love kitties too much :lol:

The coolest thing for me was Swift 2 and open source. Well, excluding Win. But I figure there will be an update to VS 2015 to include Swift. Probably as a Nuget or whatever.

I also thought open sourcing Swift was nice, but on second thought, it's not worth much without all the libraries. They mentioned open sourcing the standard library only. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think they're going to be open sourcing anything else.

Swift is nice and all (imo, it's much better than Obj-C and order of magnitude better than just C/C++/C#), but it's almost useless without all the libraries. Python's a nice language. But its true power comes from the huge library of code that was built up over the 20+ years of existence. Without them, Python's just an academic exercise at best. PHP is popular because it's got the whole everything-including-the-kitchen-sink library built into every install. Perl's a crappy language, but it's still tolerated (and even liked by many) due to CPAN, a huge repository of code libraries.

They've open sourced it for Linux, apparently hoping it would thrive there. But w/o all the cool libraries, it will not survive on that platform. Was there any mention of libraries being open sourced?

S

I've seen many Youtube videos where people
say OS X "Yozy might" which is almost as bad as those saying "OS EX" instead of
"OS Ten" which is the correct way to refer to Apple's Mac OS.

I say "OS EX". Somehow it sounds a bit better than "OS ten ten ten three". I'll see myself out :oops:

I say "OS EX". Somehow it sounds a bit better than "OS ten ten ten three". I'll see myself out :oops:

Yes it does sound better but it's still a Roman Numeral Ten, not an x. That's why they're
emphasizing the city or location more now. Too bad they didn't choose OS X Oxnard then
everyone could pronounce it perfectly. :lolno: Guess that El Cap will do for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back